Menu

Books series between magic treehouse and Percy jackson?

Writerdaddy

Droon by Tony Abbott. It is 44 books long, and should really be read in order. It starts a little hardere then magic tree house and end up close to Percy Jackson. Google this board to find out more about it.

The Underworlds by Tony Abbott. 4 books long, Greek myth like percy Jackson, but small short books that wouldn't intimidate a magic treehouse fan.

Is the reading level comparable to the end of MTH series?

The later MTH books are still at a high third grade reading level. Tales from the Odyssey ranges from a mid-fourth to a mid-fifth grade level, depending on which book it is. My son is in 1st grade, reads fluently at a high third grade level, and can decode 4th and 5th grade words pretty easily, but Tales was too much for him (the names are especially frustrating for him), so we're going to let him follow along with the audio book instead.

Thank you.  He is nearly through MTH and Droon, so I am collecting ideas for the future.

Droon. :) We spent a long time on Droon.

When we finished Droon we did Tony Abbott's series, "Underworlds". Then Eldest tired to read Percy Jackson, but had trouble. So we read the series together. He would do a paragraph, then I would. I found this great since I was then able to catch mistakes he was making. I am very glad we ended up reading together. We are now reading, "The Phantom Tollbooth" together, but he isn't into it much. But I don't care. I needed a break from Percy Jackson.

He has been reading many mythology based graphic novels books to himself, and he read most of the Ologies books. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ologies

Some more ideas from our reading list.

If you want something easier then MTH (to build confidence) try the Boy vs. Beast series. A boy has to guard the world from beasts and when he fights well he levels up and get access to better gear. 

I think it's harder then MTH. The Moongobble and Me series. 

A boy at a dragon slaying school. Every book has him fight a dragon. The Dragon Slayers Academy series.

Try a choose your own adventure book or series. Here are the ones we read:

Choose Your Fate: Superheroes (by Michael Teitelbaum)

Batman: Pick your Path (Tracy West)

Roland Wright Future Knight. Three book series. I enjoyed it. 

My 8-year-old really likes Animorphs as a read-aloud. I think they are slightly harder than later MTH.

I read them to him so I know the content. Not sure I would be crazy about all the content if I was not able to discuss it with him.

They are a little scary, but appropriate for him.

We have just read the first ten or so, they are re-issued with a cool cover.

The later MTH books are still at a high third grade reading level. Tales from the Odyssey ranges from a mid-fourth to a mid-fifth grade level, depending on which book it is. My son is in 1st grade, reads fluently at a high third grade level, and can decode 4th and 5th grade words pretty easily, but Tales was too much for him (the names are especially frustrating for him), so we're going to let him follow along with the audio book instead.

I wonder if I got the wrong book then. I got MPO, "Tales from the Odyssey" and it was even easier to read than the first MTH books - larger fonts and labeled "early chapter books". Is there another older version? 

I wonder if I got the wrong book then. I got MPO, "Tales from the Odyssey" and it was even easier to read than the first MTH books - larger fonts and labeled "early chapter books". Is there another older version? 

There's only one series (packaged now as two titles per volume, formerly as six separate volumes), The Tales From the Odyssey. They are not at a 4th or 5th grade level, but I'd call them a solid third due to the names and some of the vocabulary. Pronunciation guides are in the back. If you're looking for something a bit more meaty, I'd recommend Padraic Colum or Rosemary Sutcliff (make sure to get an edition illustrated by Alan Lee), perhaps as a read-aloud.

Colum is somewhat more accessible in terms of language and sentence structure. Both are very good.

There's only one series (packaged now as two titles per volume, formerly as six separate volumes), The Tales From the Odyssey. They are not at a 4th or 5th grade level, but I'd call them a solid third due to the names and some of the vocabulary. Pronunciation guides are in the back. If you're looking for something a bit more meaty, I'd recommend Padraic Colum or Rosemary Sutcliff (make sure to get an edition illustrated by Alan Lee), perhaps as a read-aloud.

Colum is somewhat more accessible in terms of language and sentence structure. Both are very good.

I was going by the Scholastic website when I said mid-4th grade, plus my experience that my son who can easily read and comprehend at a late 3rd/early 4th grade level had trouble with the vocabulary and was frustrated by the names. I thought he was doing fine alone with it until I had him read aloud to me. It's definitely a "read-together" book for us. 

MPO Tales of the Odyssey is quite a bit harder than the first MTH books based on both the Lexile and AR leveling systems :

Dinosaurs before Dark 2.6 AR and 240 Lexile

The One-Eyed Giant 4.8 AR and 760 Lexile

If you replaced words like "Odysseus" with "Frank", I think you'd find the Lexile score drops dramatically. Even so, I do think the reading level is above that of the original core at of MTH books (before they started releasing hardcovers).

MPO Tales of the Odyssey is quite a bit harder than the first MTH books based on both the Lexile and AR leveling systems :

Dinosaurs before Dark  2.6 AR and 240 Lexile

The One-Eyed Giant 4.8 AR and 760 Lexile

I can see that. Melissa has been reading the "twaddle" Goddess Girls and she knows all the Greek gods and goddesses names, so they weren't in the least bit difficult, dropping the lexile score way down for her IMO. 

The font size is bigger than MTH, the space between each line is larger, and the label of "early chapter book" (which at our Library is 1-3rd grade) all gave me the impression that it is a book for children much younger than 4.8 grade.

I don't get the Lexile reading scale. LOL

If you replaced words like "Odysseus" with "Frank", I think you'd find the Lexile score drops dramatically. Even so, I do think the reading level is above that of the original core at of MTH books (before they started releasing hardcovers).

I agree. And also, once you look in the glossary for how to pronounce them, it won't be difficult for the rest of the book. If that's the reason they got a higher Lexile score, I'm not sure I agree with it. 

On another note, she quite cringed at the parts with the Cyclops killing and eating the Greeks - maybe subject matter makes it more 4.8 grade?

Time warp trio? It is similar to MTH in that kids travel through time to different places.

I'll check those out as well. SHe really likes those types of books. I just found one that was lower than her reading level, but she really enjoys it. "Magic Attic Club", about 4 girlfriends who go up to a magic attic and put on a costume and they are transported there. 

http://www.amazon.com/Megan-Ancient-Greece-Magic-Attic/dp/1575131277

• Age Range: 9 and up 
  • Lexile Measure: 710L 

Pretty similar to "Tales from the Odyssey"

I don't believe subject matter is included in the AR level - they separately rate books as lower grade, middle & upper - the MPO Odyssey books are  middle, the MTH books are lower.

Am I focusing on the wrong things? Seriously - look at the difference in the appearance of the books - the font size, the spacing, and having read them both - the way the grammar is crafted and length of sentences. Megan (on the left)  is rated LESS than Odyssey...

And please know, I believe I have some educating to be done about this topic. I'm not insisting I'm right or trying to force you to admit I'm right - I'm asking for an explanation as to how they decide what is grade level...

Megan in Ancient Greece Korman, Susan 

MG - BL: 4.8 - AR Pts: 1.0

Interest Level Grade 3 Lexile Measure® 710L 

The One Eyed Giant Osborne, Mary Pope 

Interest Level Grade 3 Lexile Measure® 760L 

These two books look pretty much the same to me in rating.  I would expect the difference is as stated above - MPO Odyssey series has more 'hard' names - which raises the reading level to equal a book with a harder sentence structure. Anyway (IMO), AR and Lexile are just a way to get a 'feel' for the level, useful because you can't always judge by font size and spacing - that is more a function of how/who published it and the audience they are going for.  

Interesting, I was going to suggest How to Train Your Dragon series, but the lexile is 900+.  I didn't think they were that high.  My 4th grader really likes them though.  Roald Dahl is a huge hit here.

I was going to suggest the same - my dd (age 9, 4th grade) reads this series in her free time - she really enjoys them. I'd say they are a step up from MTH - books are longer, etc. but not a huge step. Don't know how they'd compare to Percy Jackson - haven't gotten to those yet!

Megan in Ancient Greece Korman, Susan 

Interest Level Grade 3 Lexile Measure® 710L 

The One Eyed Giant Osborne, Mary Pope 

Interest Level Grade 3 Lexile Measure® 760L 

These two books look pretty much the same to me in rating.  I would expect the difference is as stated above - MPO Odyssey series has more 'hard' names - which raises the reading level to equal a book with a harder sentence structure. Anyway (IMO), AR and Lexile are just a way to get a 'feel' for the level, useful because you can't always judge by font size and spacing - that is more a function of how/who published it and the audience they are going for.  

That may be true, but when you have a kid that sees large font and big spacing and thinks "BABY BOOK", it can prevent a child who otherwise might like some thing from actually reading it. Conversely, lots of small text but easy writing can scare off an early reader. 

I guess I just don't subscribe to the lexile system. Vocabulary isn't the only thing that constitutes easy or harder reading to me - sentence structure, grammar, subject matter, etc...all are equal to me in deciding if a book is "hard" or not. 

Thank you for the information and helping me understand the system better. :)

Did their reading of MTH include the later Merlin series and the Fact Trackers also? Some of these are more like a 4th grade reading level.   They not only increase difficulty somewhat but also introduce more subjects or more fact about subjects.   

Lloyd Alexander has some wonderful books that combine adventure with history/ mythology.  His easiest is probably Time Cat.  Then there are a number of ones harder such as the Taran books series (based on Celtic/Welsh myths), and there is a Tales book that was written later, but might be a way to access them for a younger child at first.  It is called The Foundling, and it is probably my favorite book of "fairy tales" more or less, that I have ever read.  The Taran books have some teaching about being a person that makes them more than just adventure books, IMO.  This is similar to some of the later MTH books where the children are trying to find things like the secret of happiness, or that sort of thing, but at a more complex level.  If they've not done the later Merlin mission MTH books, though, I would, even if it is fast reading at this point.  Others by Lloyd Alexander include The Iron Ring, based on Indian mythology, and I think even harder than the Taran books, probably at least as hard as Percy.

39 Clues is probably in between, but my son did not read them, so I don't know how good they are.

Hank the Cowdog is not adventure, magic, myth, etc., but is between in level and is quite funny. This, and another dog series, The Buddy Books, are what actually went in between MTH and Percy for us.  

MPO's Odyssey and other such books got read during the Percy books reading, and the Taran books, and others of Lloyd Alexander, got read while waiting for a next in the series of the Percy group to get published.  Thus I am not sure that the Lloyd Alexander books would fit between MTH and PJ, but especially with something like Time Cat and Foundling I think so.