Menu

Sweden

TeacherZee

Ikea.   :D

Just kidding.  I think of a Swedish friend I had growing up, and her wonderful family.  Also, the beautiful landscape (I've never visited - just love the photos I've seen of Sweden). My paternal grandfather was Swedish and I'd love to visit the country someday to learn more about that part of my ancestry. 

Fiords...that my ancestors made bread from lichen, moss and tree bark to avoid starvation...that the area my grandfather's family was from lost over half of their population as the poorest immigrated to the US in the early 1800's because it was that or be homeless and starve...that the area my grandfather's family was from is known for their woodworking/glass making skills...that the rapid immigration prompted changes in the government...my Electrolux mixer...

And...for the record, not all Swedes are blondes.  I can show you picture after picture of full Swedes who are not blonde, though most of them do have blue eyes.

Thank you everyone and please keep them coming!!

Crown Princess Victoria, and her adorable baby, Princess Estelle!

We found out yesterday that Princess Madeleine and her husband are expecting their first child due in March. The baby might very well be born in the US since that is where they live :)

the geographic shape and location.

conifer forests

Swedish horses (the decorative ones)

midnight sun

old wooden buildings

Swedish church records  (love Scandinavian records)

girls with floral wreaths in their hair in spring - and candle lit st. lucia wreaths at Christmas.

liv Ullman in the emigrants

some Swedish friends

I won't say pickled herring - because 1) it's Norwegian, and 2) I loath the stuff - though dh loves it.

KRINGLE.  yum.  though it's Danish . . . maybe it doesn't count . . . .

Landscape: mountains, snow, coast, trees, snow, Volvos in snow, tall blond cool easy-going people.

Oh and Henning Mankell's books.

Oh, and a Swedish woman I knew in Taiwan who told a very rude story about what happens when the rules for platonic bedsharing between male and female friends are disobeyed.

L

Wallander.  Because that is my Netflix go-to when I can't sleep.  Kenneth Branaugh always looks so tired so it helps me sleep. 

ETA:  Add my next-door-neighbor - an energetic Swedish lady in her 70s that makes me look like a broken down old slug.  Definitely the archtype hardy Scandinavian. 

Believe it or not the Wallander series that's in Swedish w/ subtitles, is even better!  True story.  And totally off topic...after you watch that, try The Eagle (Danish w/ subtitles), it's also quite good.

Finland! :D

But, only because I lived in Finland for several months and it's right next to Sweden, which I never got to visit, but always wanted to because the Swedes I met in Finland were always so expressive and openly joyful.  And the Finns... well... kind of aren't so much. (But, I love Finland anyway.  It was awesome!)

Meatballs

the Swedish chef from the Muppets

Marcus Samuelsson

And the neighbor girl we had when I was a kid--Annette. She was always saying she was half Swedish and half Danish.

Can't believe I didn't even think of IKEA until I read through the responses.

I think of Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, the Marshall of France (under Napoleon) who was elected to be the heir to the Swedish throne.  The House of Bernadotte has continued to rule Sweden ever since.  I once read Desiree, a historical fiction work about his wife's life (Desiree Clary, whose sister was married to Napoleon's brother Joseph), and I was fascinated by his election and how he gave up his French citizenship to become the ruler of another nation.

good schools

beautiful fjords

windpower

they don't need as much vitamin D 

yam and yelly (My (step) grandmother's family is from Sweden and I love hearing her imitate her father)

St Lucia's Day!!!! (HUGE one in our house, nothing to do with my grandma's family)

Pippi

*amazing* knitting 

gorgeous needlework

Carl Larrson 

a love of cardamom

I think of the Norwegian exchange student across the street who was so sweet until Sweden was mentioned. Boy does she dislike them! It was comical. I made a point of offering to take her on every trip to Ikea so she could get foods from her homeland. She was SO not amused. I'm from Hatfields and McCoy country myself, so you think I'd be a bit sensitive . . . but NOPE. It was too easy and fun :-)

My grandma's Swedish pancakes and Swedish rye bread, yummm.  I also think of babies bundled in big blankets in strollers lined up outside of quaint stores, and mom's who get to shop without navigating a stroller between racks of clothes because it's safe to leave your baby outside.   Btw, is this true, or an urban myth?

My grandma's Swedish pancakes and Swedish rye bread, yummm.  I also think of babies bundled in big blankets in strollers lined up outside of quaint stores, and mom's who get to shop without navigating a stroller between racks of clothes because it's safe to leave your baby outside.   Btw, is this true, or an urban myth?

Anymore it is a bit of a myth, mostly because most stores can accommodate strollers. In small stores where you can see the stroller outside, sure. Many restaurants have areas to park strollers as well, and some people might leave a sleeping baby in it as long a they were sitting nearby to hear it wake.

I actually find Sweden a bit more family friendly simply because it is expected that parents stay home with their kids the first year of life, but we don't take cars the way people do in America, rather people walk or take public transport, therefore coffee shops (for "fika") have spaces for strollers.