Menu

Tide pools in Los Angeles area?

We are going to Disneyland in November. We will have a day in the middle of our visit to just relax (mom and dad need this, not the kids!). I'd love to take the kids to a beach to see some tide pools. My 9yo finished reading Pagoo and has always been fascinated by the ocean. We live in the desert! Is there somewhere within reasonable driving distance (less than 1 hr) from Disneyland where we could spend an afternoon? I've seen some places online but they all seem too far away. Or is 1 hr or so about what you have to do in the LA area?

There is a little aquarium in San Pedro that is next to a beach with tide pools, I think they sometimes do tide pool walks. I can't remember the name of the aquarium right now but you could google it and call them. They have a nice touch tank as well and entrance is free unless you choose to make a donation.

Thanks! The aquarium sounds good but it's almost twice as far to drive as Corona del Mar. I'm afraid we won't go anywhere if it is too far because we will be exhausted already. But both are going on the possibility list!

Elfknitter, I didn't see a link in your post to that blog.

Crystal Cove is the best!

Across the street (ish) is a shopping center with some restaurants and fun shops. There's a Starbucks for your second wind and although not the best Mexican food, Javier's is beautiful inside. I love the way they decorated it. If you're a gardener, set aside and hour or so for Roger's Garden (a few minutes away from the beach.) 

Seriously, a perfect day.

Have fun!!

Little Corona is nice, and much closer than Cabrillo. If you were staying closer to LA itself, I would recommend Cabrillo. It's a great place for scampering around and the little aquarium is nice. But, it will be an hour or so to drive there (and yes, many places are a drive, not necessarily due to distance, but just to freeway congestion). Given that you are going to sandwich this in between Disneyland, I'd opt for Little Corona; but I'm biased to CdM as that was where dh and I were married. Just make sure to stay off the freeways around rush-hour-ish. ;) In my experience, anytime between 3:30ish and 6:30ish will be tight. 

We were just at Cabrillo. It was amazing! But they are a military base and low tide and military hours can conflict, not to mention the drive south from LA.

We also went La Jolla tide pools, which were very nice. Got to see sea lions, which was a bonus. The aquarium in La Jolla was great. We happened to be there when they fed the creatures in their display tide pools. I think they had feeding times on their website.

Thanks! The aquarium sounds good but it's almost twice as far to drive as Corona del Mar. I'm afraid we won't go anywhere if it is too far because we will be exhausted already. But both are going on the possibility list!

Elfknitter, I didn't see a link in your post to that blog.

Oops!

http://blog.anaheimoc.org/blog-post/2013/03/25/touch-tides-best-oc-tide-pools

I think this is the wrong direction for you, but I spent many happy afternoons at the tidepools at Leo Carillo State Park. It's right in the fancy part of Malibu if that would be a fun tourist thing for your family. It's right near the Malibu Country Mart (fancy outdoor shopping mall) and you could also visit the Adamson House for a little local history and architectural flavor.

And I do like the touch tank at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, but that section of San Pedro is not the first place I'd send a tourist. It's harmless just not...beautiful. (Point Fermin Lighthouse down there could be another destination though.)

I lived within walking distance of Dana Point Marine institute for four years and it's one of my favorite places on earth but I do think the Crystal Cove tide pools are better. Luckily you could do both! Set out early one day, stop at a couple of beaches as you drive down Pacific Coast highway and hit Dana Point Marine Institute by lunch. You could drive another five minutes and see San Juan Capistrano's beautiful mission and have a great Mexican dinner at El Adobe (assuming it's still in business near the mission, I've been gone from the area for 3 years). It would be a fun yet relaxing day!

We were just at Cabrillo. It was amazing! But they are a military base and low tide and military hours can conflict, not to mention the drive south from LA.

We also went La Jolla tide pools, which were very nice. Got to see sea lions, which was a bonus. The aquarium in La Jolla was great. We happened to be there when they fed the creatures in their display tide pools. I think they had feeding times on their website.

La Jolla is beautiful all around; I lived down there for the better part of five years, and dh and I will still take "day trips" down there with the kids. But, it's about 1 1/2 hours from Anaheim, a bit more if you are driving during any traffic times, especially sandwiched in the middle of a Disneyland trip. Now, if the OP had an overnight, it'd be a great destination. (My boys are still on me to drive down there on a Tuesday or Thursday so they can go in the "house" perched atop the Engineering building at UCSD.) Like I said, we drive down there for the day at least once a year, but I couldn't imagine doing that the day after and/or before a day at Disneyland. 

And, also I didn't realize Cabrillo was a military base. I haven't been there in quite a few years, but I guess I never paid that much attention. Of course, this thread now makes me want to take the kids down to Corona del Mar (well, with dh ... dd needs a chaperone all to herself LOL).