Menu

What are your favorite/secret pasta salad ingredients?

AlmiraGulch

Despite my resolve to limit the simple carbs, I've been seriously craving a cold pasta salad and so I think it's what's going to be for diner tonight, with some grilled chicken breast.

Normally I just add whatever strikes my fancy (olives, fresh mozzarella or provolone, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, red onion, parmesan), dump my favorite italian dressing over it and let it sit for a bit.

I'm kind of bored of that, though.

What are your favorite or secret special ingredients for cold pasta?  

Here are a few I've recently tried, but I don't do it with pasta, can't have the wheat. These have been in green salads, but I can picture them tossed with pasta.

Spinach leaves

Roasted mushrooms

Asparagus (lightly blanched)

Fresh fennel

Heirloom tomatoes

Manchego, feta, blue or goat cheese crumbles

Fresh dill

Jicama

Cucumber

Red onion

Try mixing up some different vinaigrettes,or just use a different vinegar in your usual recipe (balsamic, red wine, white wine, Riesling, champagne, tarragon... there are many varieties to experiment with).

These sound delicious, and I'm starving.

Recently I did one where I mixed in crumbled goat cheese, dried tart cherries, slivered almonds, fresh mint, olive oil, salt and pepper. Man, that was good.

For tonight, I've decided to go with pesto, balsamic marinated tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, simply because that's what I have on hand and it will go nicely with grilled chicken breasts.

I decided not to drive to the store when I remembered I've indulged in a couple of my favorite bourbon cocktails this afternoon, and the hubs is working today.

Despite my resolve to limit the simple carbs, I've been seriously craving a cold pasta salad and so I think it's what's going to be for diner tonight, with some grilled chicken breast.

Normally I just add whatever strikes my fancy (olives, fresh mozzarella or provolone, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, red onion, parmesan), dump my favorite italian dressing over it and let it sit for a bit.

I'm kind of bored of that, though.

What are your favorite or secret special ingredients for cold pasta?  

My secret is to sauté the peppers in oil on the stove, then add to the pasta salad and chill it. Then they aren't so crunchy, but quite delicious.

We'll let it go this time.

Just don't let it happen again.

:-)

Ha! I had this mental list and after I hit post I knew I'd missed something. I'm just glad the memory of it didn't wake me out of a sound sleep at 2am!

That salad was yummy... Riesling vinaigrette over spinach leaves with smoked grapes, Gorgonzola cheese and slivered prosciutto. Yum!

Good quality anchovies mashed into the dressing (with garlic and olive oil).

Even those who would recoil at the thought of anchovies (if they knew :D) will ask "what makes it so good?"

Bill

Yum! This sounds delicious. I just need someone to mash the anchovies for me! I could eat it but I couldn't smush it...

Feta cheese - it adds a lot of flavor to the pasta salad. I do a Greek Salad with Feta, red onion, kalamata olives, spinach, etc.

I make a quinoa salad with all of the above plus tomatoes. I believe quinoa is a little healthier than pasta and just as easy to make, so you could go that route once in a while.

Do you have a good recipe for the homemade ranch to share? I've tried several but still looking for one we like.

I use about 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream. Enough buttermilk to make it pourable...I like mine thin. A finely minced garlic clove.

Then I use dried herbs and spices...bc I always have them on hand, KWIM? I use about a tsp of dried chives, a dash of onion powder, a pinch of dried parsley, salt and pepper.

Other recipes I've seen leave out the sour cream or use different proportions of sour cream and mayo.

HTH