Menu

Trying to switch over from secular pop and need suggestions for good Christian "peppy music" for running, etc.

HappyGrace

Maybe something like the older Newsboys or Zoe Girl type stuff? Or anything else Christian that has a good beat to it. I don't like that Christian "metal" type sound though.

Thanks so much-it is hard to switch from secular music but I want to honor God. The only time I listen to it is working out because I need the strong beat to motivate me, but the words/themes are terrible so I'm convicted to change it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I really like Franchesca Battistelli's music, pretty much anything by her is good.  Stronger by Mandisa is a good song for exercise.  Jesus Messiah is a good one.  Anything by Third Day is pretty upbeat.  Shackles by Mary Mary.  Reliant K is very peppy.

I'm trying to switch over to more Christian music for my running too, so I'll be following this thread!

Good Morning by Frachesca Batteselli is very upbeat. Audio Adreneline has some upbeat music. Listen to Klove online, they tell you the name of the song and the artist, so you can easily look them up. I do not know many Christian hard rock or metal that is current. I was in high school in the 90s, and now those genres make my head hurt lol.

You just have to start listening and noting the songs you like. You'll like them more as you get to know them. 

Artists on my jogging playlist: 

Addison Road

The Afters

Ashes Remain (they might be too metal, though)

Big Daddy Weave

Brandon Heath

Britt Nicole

Colton Dixon

FM Static

Gungor

Hawk Nelson

Josh Wilson

Luminate

Mat kearney

Matt Maher

MIKESCHAIR

Remedy Drive

Seventh Day Slumber

Stellar Kart

I love the Slacker music extension on my BING bar in Internet Explorer. I think they play the best mix of contemporary Christian and I often find new upbeat tunes by just listening.

After reading a book to improve my running form (hoping to avoid another round of plantar fasciitis), I starting running to music that fit a certain beat--I'm doing 170 beats per minute. You can actually search for that on-line, but it takes awhile to go through the lists and find songs that I know and am willing to listen to! Anyway, one of the songs is Toby Mac's Made to Love. It works fine, but my favorites on the playlist is Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream and (believe it or not) Hall and Oates' You Make My Dreams. Yeah, those two aren't Christian pop, but the beat is really easy to run to!

A lot of stations will have a listing of what has been playing.  That is how I find new music I like.  I suggest going to a local station and seeing what their song list is and see what you like.

I would be tempted to find individual songs you like from various artists and download individual MP3s rather than expecting a whole album to work.

One of my favorite "get up and move" songs is Smellin' Coffee by Chris Rice, but that whole album has lots of slow songs too.

Off the top of my head.... good luck.  :p  Just kidding.  Sort of.

Red

Hawk Nelson

Switchfoot

Toby Mac

But I'll admit, there is very little Christian music that I would consider good workout music.  I have some of each of those on my 'workout' playlist, but most of it is still all my other stuff.  

Because, frankly, I think good Christian music is really, really hard to come by.  :ack2: (That's how I feel about most of it.)

Hope you can find what you're looking for!

Wow-awesome suggestions!!! I can't wait to check them out!

I have to agree with PeacefulChaos though-very hard to find good Christian music. I think I will prbly be best w/ buying individual songs rather than whole albums (as AndyJoy said), and even then... but at least there is a lot here to try!

ETA: so far I only listened to the Toby Mac, and I like it a lot! I loved the Unstoppable song. Thanks! Any more music like his, to narrow it down some?

I'm not sure exactly what kind of music you are looking for OP but here are some ideas. You would have to listen and see what you like and what would work for your workout. There is a large variety of styles here. Most of the time it is better to just get the individual songs you like. :) I would listen to some different bands on Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon samples. Spotify will list their songs in order of popularity.

Rapture Ruckus

Family Force 5(Not exactly Christian lyrics but fun.)

Toby Mac

Needtobreathe

Lecrae

Manic Drive

Newworldson

Switchfoot

Rend Collective Experiment

Mandisa

Jamie Grace

JJ Heller

Meredith Andrews

Plumb

Newsboys

Audio Adrenaline

Relient K

Hawk Nelson

KJ 52

Skillet

Red

Cloverton

For King and Country

Finding Favour

Brandon Heath

Building 429

Rhett Walker Band

Kutless

Tenth Avenue North

Thousand Foot Crutch

Third Day

Casting Crowns

Jars of Clay

Mathew West

Jeremy Camp

These are just the ones I can think of right now. ;)

I'm not the OP but thanks for the lists.  I haven't found much Christian music that I like.  Often it seems that "safe" lyrics are considered enough, and good musicianship is neglected.  We mostly listen to Steven Curtis Chapman (his older stuff, I think) and some Third Day.  My kids do enjoy the lyrics that make them think.  So, it would be good to find more, not just for exercising but general listening.

For exercising I like Toby Mac and Family Force 5. FF5 doesn't necessarily have Christian lyrics (though they are typically in the christian music genre) they're not bad lyrics and the beat is pretty energizing. I personally like Love Addict, Earthquake, Chainsaw and Wobble - they make me want to keep moving!

ETA: so far I only listened to the Toby Mac, and I like it a lot! I loved the Unstoppable song. Thanks! Any more music like his, to narrow it down some?

Group 1 Crew is a similar style to Toby Mac. 

I also really like the song Brand New Day by KJ52 which is a similar style to T-Mac. It makes me think about my running and weight loss journey in a very positive light!