Menu

Time4Learning

I'm about ready to give up. This has been a really hard year. I'm thinking we need time to decompress. Unschooling is not an option. I can not afford k12 like I'd like, and I want this to be temporary. Ps is not an option right now for several reasons. Has anyone used the newer upper levels of Time 4 Learning? I just want them to be able to do some work independently with instruction outside of me while we focus on other things going on. We're doing a HP themed year. That stuff is fine. Everything else is like pulling teeth.

I used it in the lower grades because my son was fighting me too much, and I felt good about it.  I know other ppl who love it so much they were singing from the rooftops when the high school level was announced.  You can also cancel it at any time, so i would not worry too much about trying it for a few months and seeing how it goes.  Also, at least from the lower levels, its somewhat basic but you can move through at your own pace and the kids always have 3 grade levels available, and you can change what levels they have pretty easily - you have to notify the company and they'll change it within a day or two

It's not all bad.

The LA is actually pretty good. It is inexpensive, so isn't as open and go as you are led to believe on the main page. Expect to need to handle scheduling of LA. Go to the forums and look at posts re how others have scheduled LA. Be aware that you will need to purchase the the required literature. One of the ladies there has put the spelling lists on spelling city, so spelling can be easy.

Math is basal and last time we were enrolled rather than deleting their old math lessons they had the old math program at the end and you could use it for review or further instruction. So, be aware that you don't need to complete all the math that is out there. Also, because it is basal, you can just choose a particular topic to work on rather than going in order. If you need more drill, you can always use Khan Academy.

The middle grade science and social studies are the most problematic. They are essentially textbooks online, so a child can click through without actually reading anything. There are things suggested in the reading for note booking, additional/ outside reading, and there are some suggested science experiments. So, I did not find their science and social studies any less mom intensive than any other text. On the upside, the same lady who put the spelling lists on spelling city has listed all of the video science lessons, so, if you just need to do science gently for a little while, you could use those. Also, there are some free brain pop videos out there. If you're interested, I will find the link.

HTH-

Mandy

I forgot to add that we have used Time 4 learning as well. It is pretty good but I see it as a supplement since paper pencil work are still very important IMHO.

I also see T4L as a supplement, but there can be plenty of pencil time especially if you notebook the science and social studies, if you do the composition lessons (which are not graded by T4L) offline, and if you do the spelling offline.

We are not using it this year. At the moment I do not need our days to be any fuller. :)

Mandy

The TOS Crew is in the midst of reviewing it so check over there. My reivew isn't up yet. Dd 10 likes the 5th grade (doing 6t grade math), working very indeendently. I'm working p.t. so I wanted something she could do on her own, not stress  and want to do again. It's fitting the bill so far.

You might check out SchoolhouseTeachers.com, too. We'll be using them pretty heavily this year, too.

How about CLE workbooks? I see you are using great stuff like MCT and WWE which are teacher intensive. CLE books are written to the student. I have used the math and reading with my kid and have the language arts books as well. They offer a solid, inexpensive program.

We've had them before and they still use some, but they also are a bit too intensive right now for us. And the kids don't like the religious bits. We need purely secular.