Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teeniebeenie6

Shocked that this book is on the Grade 11 common core reading list. Scary!

Someone suggested Why the Caged Bird Sings. Good Grief, how have we not suggested that one as a suitable build up/ pre-book/ similar themes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (enough?)

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Author African American(check), woman (check), African American experience(check), the right themes (check)

It works right? right?

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Author African American(check), woman (check), African American experience(check), the right themes (check)

It works right? right?

I wish I had thought of this one. I have not read it and now know what to put on hold at my library. A basic compare/ contrast for myself would be good to do for knowledge sake.

I don't know how many people unhappy about Morrison are going to take to a book whose heroine ends up as a pregnant 16 year old.

I wouldn't replace Morrison with Angelou in a literature class, because Morrison is widely believed to be a finer writer. I'd agree with that and I'd always rather teach the better writer.

It's a much better suggestion than some though!

I asked my 15 yr old what she thought about the hoopla and her response was that she felt most 16/17 year olds should be able to handle adult literature. YMMV :)

My husband just finished serving on a jury where they convicted a man of raping and murdering his 14 WEEK old daughter.  There could have been 18 year olds on that jury and they would have been expected to listen to the explicit testimonies and look at the grisly images in order to fulfill their civic duty. 

I don't think we do ourselves or society any favors when we cite sensitivity and avoid the ickier parts of the Great Conversation.

Wendy

Absolutely. I was on a jury last year for a child abuse case. Three of my fellow jurors were between 18 and 20. It was a harrowing and tiring case with graphic descriptions of what went on.

Bolded, I definitely agree. I did that once, going off of another "conservative" family's suggestion. Ugh. Yes, good conversation, but my son wishes he hadn't read the book and asked if there was a way to bleach his brain (A Brave New World...a classic in some circles, I know).

I know - all that zipper fetish...

L