Menu

Managing depression

Halcyon

If I'm desperate enough I find family or someone for a day and I disappear and get out for a bit. Even if it's just to drive somewhere and sit and listen to music with no kids. Working in the garden is sometimes helpful (studies show that enzymes in the soil affect the brain similar to an antidepressant). Exercising is sometimes helpful. Music is always a little helpful. Finding someone to listen, even if just over the phone is always a little helpful. Even if there's nothing really wrong, sometimes I just need to talk about my life for awhile.

It really is just finding what works for you.

I found that music really works for me.

I stay up late watching videos and singing tunes

when I clean the house I crank up my favorite cd's

I have found that calling my friend (Aubrey) works wonders for me as well.

I do self medicate with a drink-- but I watch that closely so I don't get too dependent or that it doesn't make me sadder

excercise is another thing---- take a walk or a hike (which I hate)

It also helps to know what to avoid:

I NEVER call my mother and avoid my husband when he is on a downer,

Don't watch TV that is depressing

:grouphug:

I exercise. Hard. I also try very hard not to ruminate on the "bad" things. Other than that, I know my family needs me, and that school, meals, etc. still need to be done, so I do them. Music does not work for me--it evokes too many memories or emotions. I need to get out of my head, not further in.

This is going to sound kind of weird, but sometimes when I am completely down and I KNOW I'm not meeting my personal obligations, I literally think, "What would a good {homeschool mom, wife, person} do in this circumstance?" and then I try to do the most important thing.  That gets me going, and often, emotions follow positive behavior.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

If your depression is not such that medication is needed, or your personal approach doesn't include it as an option, here are some ideas:

1. Know if you are an introvert or extrovert and take extra care to honor yourself and needs on that curriculum.
  2. Sunshine, which also has the benefit of outside, another help.
  3. Limit screens - phone, computer, e-readers
  4. Community building
  5. Faith/ritual/religious expression that works for you
  6. journaling
  7. "Top 3" to do list - get up, make bed, put on lipstick (make a list meaningful to you)
  8. Gratitude tools - make a physical list, mentally think of one thing you are greatful for for each letter of the alphabet
  9. Goal boarding - make collages of hope and goals for material things, career things, lifestyle things
  10. Upgrade food choices
  11. Excercise

I exercise. Hard. I also try very hard not to ruminate on the "bad" things. Other than that, I know my family needs me, and that school, meals, etc. still need to be done, so I do them. Music does not work for me--it evokes too many memories or emotions. I need to get out of my head, not further in.

This, except not the exercise.  I cannot listen to music of any kind as it either angers me or saddens me.  A friend just tried to help by giving me a massage (which I hate but thought I'd say 'yes' just to get her off my case) and almost freaked out when she put on soft music.  I read a lot.  I have books placed conveniently around the house so if I find myself with even a moment to think I can grab a book (all Louis L'Amour) and get lost rather than dwell on things.  I do a lot of laundry which, for some reason, helps a lot.  And I just keep going.  I do what I need to/am supposed to do for my family because this isn't their fault.  I get dressed every morning and comb my hair, put on makeup, etc. even if I don't feel like it.  I indulge in chocolate but in moderation (I'm an emotional eater).  I don't leave the house because I fear I won't come back, especially on days like today where I feel like I'm drowning.  I get through the day minutes at a time and realize with relief that I made it through.  

There a few things that help when my depression gets worse.  It's gotten bad enough in the past to require medication on and off, but for just a moderate downswing, I'll try:

Exercise.  Running is good.  Long bike rides through the country, too.

Supplements.  Fish oil, a super vit B complex, and around 3,000 IUs of vit D.

Doctor Who marathons.  Obviously, this only works if you're a Doctor Who fan.

Getting out and seeing a movie by myself or something else relaxing.  

Cleaning.  If I can convince myself to get up and actually do it, having a cleaner house afterwards will usually help perk me up.

Coursera.  Learning something new makes me feel less like my life is nothing but an endless span of pointless tasks.

Writing.  Doing something creative is a good outlet for getting out the negative feelings.

As for getting everyday things done, I just do as much as I can handle, and make the tasks as pleasant as possible.  I'll bring my laptop into the kitchen and watch something on Netflix while I cook and clean, and I'll let dd pick what she wants to do for her hsing for the day. (Luckily she's only in K, so we can do this without issue.)  Or we'll take her hsing stuff and go hs at the coffee shop or in the park on a blanket.  

exercise keeps me even. Sometimes I'm really having a hard time and I have to force myself to exercise. No matter how hard it is to exercise I always feel better after I've done it. 

vit D. a lot of it. I'm actually on a prescription for mega doses of it, because my blood levels of vit D are always very low. 

It depends on why I feel that way.  If it's situational, I focus on getting together with people I really enjoy doing something I love.  If it doesn't seem to have a situational link, I take more vitamin D and exercise.  Dancing to music I love helps a lot.  Also, FWIW, my doctor said that even people who live in southern California often are deficient in vitamin D, so it may be worth getting your level tested.  Some people even need their level to be in the 50s before they start to feel better.

Truthfully, I don't. Cope that is.

The kids get way too much screen time and feed themselves. DH picks up the rest of the slack when he's not at work.

One supplement that I've found helpful is a hormonal/omega support capsule. Exercise, and visiting with my friends (extrovert here) are also helpful.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Oceans-3/Healthy-Hormones.aspx

These really seem to help with the energy/fatigue issue. I really notice within a week or so, if I am lazy about replacing an empty bottle and stop taking them.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope you can find what works for you.

It depends on why I feel that way.  If it's situational, I focus on getting together with people I really enjoy doing something I love.  If it doesn't seem to have a situational link, I take more vitamin D and exercise.  Dancing to music I love helps a lot.  Also, FWIW, my doctor said that even people who live in southern California often are deficient in vitamin D, so it may be worth getting your level tested.  Some people even need their level to be in the 50s before they start to feel better.

This is a bit off track for the thread, but why would people need more vitamin D than they can get from the sun? There is very little in the human diet, so it seems odd that we would need supplementation above the levels our environment can provide naturally for us. I realize sunscreen prevents vit d formation, but it apparently doesn't take much sun time to make it. I've also heard that showering right after sub exposure disrupts it. Just wondering.

This is a bit off track for the thread, but why would people need more vitamin D than they can get from the sun? There is very little in the human diet, so it seems odd that we would need supplementation above the levels our environment can provide naturally for us. I realize sunscreen prevents vit d formation, but it apparently doesn't take much sun time to make it. I've also heard that showering right after sub exposure disrupts it. Just wondering.

In this article it mentions that people who are overweight don't make enough vitamin D from the sun, so that could be one huge reason why so many people are deficient.  And I've read just the opposite, that you actually have to spend quite a bit of time in the sun with a good deal of skin exposed to get enough vitamin D.  Couple that with living in a northern climate, or having a poor diet, or so on and it's easier to understand why so many people need a supplement.

In this article it mentions that people who are overweight don't make enough vitamin D from the sun, so that could be one huge reason why so many people are deficient.  And I've read just the opposite, that you actually have to spend quite a bit of time in the sun with a good deal of skin exposed to get enough vitamin D.  Couple that with living in a northern climate, or having a poor diet, or so on and it's easier to understand why so many people need a supplement.

Good point about obesity. The OP is in southern Cal. If you can't get enough vit D in southern Cal, where could you? In all my reading, it takes about 15 min of exposure without sunscreen at the right latitudes. The body can store Vit D. You don't have to get your daily dose.

Exercise, meditation, getting out of the house, or better yet, getting outside. Medication would be an absolute last resort for me because of all the side effects, and often the lack of effectiveness. Of course, everyone responds differently to that.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

This is what works for me, an introvert who can't leave the house easily: 

*get enough sleep (know how many hours you need, give yourself a bed time, turn off screens an hour before you know you need to go to sleep, if you don't want to dwell on things have quiet music or pray/meditate or have a day dream or goal to think about while you fall asleep).

*care for your personality--if you're an introvert have downtime, if an extrovert have time with friends.

*eat food that makes you feel good (usually this means healthy foods-proteins, vegetables-but sometimes it means indulging in a feel-good carb when you need it).

*have things prepared for when you need a kick (cup of coffee, nap, square of chocolate, hand-full of almonds, Brit costume drama, walk around the block, new book, etc.). Know ahead of time because when you're in the feeling it can be hard to think of things. 

*have things to do which are just consuming enough to keep thoughts at bay (make a list, clean, have hobbies).

*help other people...sometimes you can't fix what's wrong with you but it can feel good to fix something for someone else.

*don't forget to keep talking (have someone you can tell how you feel, multiple people if you're afraid one person would burn out), keep up with friendships, be open to interventions.

*have small, reachable dreams (maybe you can't climb Everest, have the job you want, keep a perfect house but you can carve out time to work on your novel, read Proust, learn stone masonry, scrapbook, juggle, etc.).

*make sure you're covered on the medical end--inform your doctor, have your thyroid tested, get sun, take supplements like vits B & D. Be open to medication if you're not coping. 

*be open to what works whether that's counseling, medication, natural methods, exercise, standing on your head, sending your kids to PS, keeping them home, moving to a smaller place, moving to a larger place, reading, getting a job, going to church, reading philosophy, reading romance novels. Don't make sudden changes in who you are as a person (for instance leaving your religion or your husband or drastic changes in personality), but realize that there is more than one way to live. Sometimes you have re-evaluate what works for you. We often have preconceived ideas of how we need to live when there are really many acceptable ways to do things, many acceptable life-paths. 

I wish you well. 

I used to deal with it as pms, and I had to push through - and to realize it was "just" pms.

I have a genetic mutation that affects my ability to absorb and use b vitamins, and a few other things  (amazing the difference treating it makes).  I do mega supplementation.  I used an average quality cheap b complex for years, and only noticed the difference when I wasn't taking it for as little as a week.  but there was a real difference in how I was able to function.  now I use a good quality one. in addition to a good multi, and vitamin d3 (also is a component in mood).

I originally started because we were going through a prolonged, *very* stressful outside circumstance and I had learned stress uses up b -vitamins more than average, so I thought I'd "replace" them to help me function.

and eat well, get plenty of sleep, and exercise.  they will help you feel better and function better.

you need to be realistic about your time and "what has to be done" vs "what would be nice to get done.  iow: prioritize.  it's okay to say "no, I can't do that"

I'm working towards it again, but the best I ever felt, with TONS of energy - was when I ate absolutely no sugar of any kind.  I didn't use any artificial sweeteners either. I only exercised 3x per week, but the weight melted off and I was in better shape than when I was in high school - and I ate anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted as long as it didn't have sugar in it.   

I'm now cutting sugar back out of my diet.

2dd is working towards a PharmD.  she's covered vitamin d3 - and this is a subject of great interest to our family because

1) we live in a northern latitude where it is dark and cloudy

2) the sun is at an angle as opposed to overhead and that affects sun exposure

3) we are all very pale - which affects the ability to make d3.

4) some are red-heads which means there are differences in their skin.  (there are studies on red-heads that have shown some of the differences. including perception of pain.)

we've all been tested - and numbers were all low.  1dd's was 10. ten. (7 is rickets territory).  her provider was freaking out. she doesn't absorb d3 even from the gel-tabs.  10K IU's daily barely budged her levels.  (the usrda is 400 IU's.  that needs to be updated.)  dd must use drops. 

back to what 2dd learned in her class coverage on d3.  it is under consideration as reclassification as a hormone because of how it is used by cells, and how many different body systems require it to function well.

I recently read the minimum blood level has been boosted to 50.  (it used to be 30).  I do recall one oncologist who said she'd never had a patient with a d3 level above 30.

many people are deficient - and don't know it.

Exercise, eat healthy foods (avoiding junk), getting extra sleep, watching tv (Doctor Who, Firefly, or sometimes just something brainless and funny), a good book.

Also, what seems to work to get me out of a funk, is cleaning the bathroom.  For some reason cleaning the bathroom makes me feel better.  No other room or cleaning project does that.

It is can also be helpful to get out of the house.  I'm in introvert, but getting out of this space can help my head get out of it's funk.

If it's really bad I avoid my evening glass of wine, which can make things worse. 

I tend to go one of two ways. If I'm feeling just down, pessimistic and tired then usually I need to prioritise sleep and eat better and get involved in the things I like doing and leave everyone to fend for themselves a bit, oh and go out. It tends to sort itself out after a while and I can get some enthusiasm back.

If I get like I have been recently which is much darker and more self hating then I can't really control when it's going to end by doing specific things. I tend to not eat much and not look after myself and get super busy all day with a million and one jobs because I feel I need to fill my time with stuff and not think, I've been feeling pretty bad for a while but for some reason it's lifted quite a bit this afternoon. It might be because it's hot and sunny or because I spoke to a friend on the phone and she's in a similar place. I think from the outside it looks more normal because I'm super busy and getting loads of jobs done but I feel worse.

I used to deal with it as pms, and I had to push through - and to realize it was "just" pms.

I have a genetic mutation that affects my ability to absorb and use b vitamins, and a few other things (amazing the difference treating it makes). I do mega supplementation. I used an average quality cheap b complex for years, and only noticed the difference when I wasn't taking it for as little as a week. but there was a real difference in how I was able to function. now I use a good quality one. in addition to a good multi, and vitamin d3 (also is a component in mood).

I originally started because we were going through a prolonged, *very* stressful outside circumstance and I had learned stress uses up b -vitamins more than average, so I thought I'd "replace" them to help me function.

and eat well, get plenty of sleep, and exercise. they will help you feel better and function better.

you need to be realistic about your time and "what has to be done" vs "what would be nice to get done. iow: prioritize. it's okay to say "no, I can't do that"

I'm working towards it again, but the best I ever felt, with TONS of energy - was when I ate absolutely no sugar of any kind. I didn't use any artificial sweeteners either. I only exercised 3x per week, but the weight melted off and I was in better shape than when I was in high school - and I ate anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted as long as it didn't have sugar in it.

I'm now cutting sugar back out of my diet.

I think a lot of people have a mutation problem and don't realize it and/or how much it affects their health.

I have no idea why vitamin d levels are so low but last year I spent a month in Arizona and most days at the pool, and when I came back and had my vitamin d level tested I was extremely low. I'm also part Hispanic, just fyi.

I have no idea why vitamin d levels are so low but last year I spent a month in Arizona and most days at the pool, and when I came back and had my vitamin d level tested I was extremely low. I'm also part Hispanic, just fyi.

I'm fair skinned, spend quite a bit of time outside. My vit D levels were extremely low, after months of 50,000 iu's a week I am still at the the very bottom of the "normal" range.

Sure doesn't help the fatigue and depression issues I encounter on occasion.

I think a lot of people have a mutation problem and don't realize it and/or how much it affects their health.

there is supposition it is fairly common, but there aren't many providers who understand it. 

I was livid when I found out dd's provider last year did the genetic test for the mutation (she is homozygous. which means the reduction in function for that gene is as much as 70%.), and then dismissed the results as no. big. deal.

actually, livid doesn't being to cover what I was thinking.  at least dd had stopped going to her, and had started going to a ND/provider I suggested.  now that it is being treated appropriately, she feels worlds better.

I'm fair skinned, spend quite a bit of time outside. My vit D levels were extremely low, after months of 50,000 iu's a week I am still at the the very bottom of the "normal" range.

Sure doesn't help the fatigue and depression issues I encounter on occasion.

have you tried the drops?   they contain other things that aid in absorption.  1dd doesn't absorb the gel-tabs either (she was doing 10,000 IU's of d3 daily with little movement), but has had good luck with drops.

there is supposition it is fairly common, but there aren't many providers who understand it.

I was livid when I found out dd's provider last year did the genetic test for the mutation (she is homozygous. which means the reduction in function for that gene is as much as 70%.), and then dismissed the results as no. big. deal.

actually, livid doesn't being to cover what I was thinking. at least dd had stopped going to her, and had started going to a ND/provider I suggested. now that it is being treated appropriately, she feels worlds better.

I'm also homozygous and have felt a huge difference in my energy since starting treatment. I just sent my dd(22yo) some vitamims to try too. She had been battling cfs since she was 16 and I'm sure it's going to be the answer for her too. I just wish we had a doctor to work with. I'm doing this on my own. Glad to hear your dd is feeling better. I might have to pm you about this and find out exactly what your doctor is dong for your dd, if you don't mind.

My doctor is a huge fan in monitoring vit D levels. I also agree with getting your thyroid checked. Oh, my doctor also said the hormones are important to check. She said that women in their upper 30s and into 40s don't produce as much progesterone anymore and that can cause depression or a whole other bag of symptoms.

As others have posted I force myself to exercise. I know in my head once I get started it helps a lot and I feel so much better.

Also I try to avoid sugar. Those sugar crashes will literally make me crash and burn.

If I meet up with a friend that helps.

If someone tells me to meditate or do slow relaxing breaths....it makes me want to scream. Cannot stand it.

I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I take 5-HTP, which is a supplement that helps your brain develop a precursor to serotonin. It helps me immensely. You might need to fiddle with amounts, because too much can make you very grouchy and jittery, but when you find the right amount, you can see the joy in life again. After my initial phase of about two years of daily supplementation, I was able to stop taking it for another two years or so. Eventually, I came to need it again, but now I can take half the amount I used to need, and I can take it every 3-4 days instead of daily. It really evens me out and makes me feel like I imagine normal human beings feel--balanced, calm, cheerful, with a nice long fuse instead of a tiny short one, etc. When life gets very stressful and my brain gets VERY crowded is when I most need this kind of rebalancing. I think you've been under some stress lately, so I'm not surprised you're struggling. It can really creep up on you :(

:grouphug: I hope you find what works for you.

If it's debilitating, I'd recommend finding a good naturopath who specializes in mood disorders/women's health. Something as simple as magnesium can help with anxiety, muscle aches, intermittent insomnia, etc.

My goal is to stay well-balanced, because if I don't I tend to become overly anxious. 9 hours of sleep at night, quality whole-foods diet, regular exercise (though never when I'm exhausted or it becomes a stressor), and fermented cod liver oil and magnesium (taken with calcium) supplements do wonders for me.

I have a genetic mutation that affects my ability to absorb and use b vitamins, and a few other things  (amazing the difference treating it makes).  I do mega supplementation.  I used an average quality cheap b complex for years, and only noticed the difference when I wasn't taking it for as little as a week.  but there was a real difference in how I was able to function.  now I use a good quality one. in addition to a good multi, and vitamin d3 (also is a component in mood).

I originally started because we were going through a prolonged, *very* stressful outside circumstance and I had learned stress uses up b -vitamins more than average, so I thought I'd "replace" them to help me function.

Do you mind sharing the brand of your *good quality* b vitamin?  

Thanks!

Ugh, so many things we need to DO or CHANGE. So many lists and requirements. :(

OP, right there with you.

My mom has spent years studying vitamin D as she has a lot of autoimmune and health problems, and her health really took a turn for the worse when a naturopath put her on high levels of vitamin D. She discovered the same guy who found out that h.Pylori is what causes ulcers also discovered that supplemental vitamin D is poisonous. He has a whole theory that it opens up the cells to bacteria and destroys the whole body. Sounds outrageous, I know, but after hearing her go on and on about it for so long, I have been very hesitant to start taking supplemental vitamin D. It's called the "Marshall Protocol" ftr.

:( This is why I need the 5-HTP. If my head isn't in the right place, there's no way I can even think about doing all the other things to keep myself physically and mentally healthy. I read threads like this and cry because I'm just so paralyzed. 

I forgot to also say that a good-sized dose of straight coconut oil daily is also critical for me. I love the taste and can eat it off a spoon as long as it's mostly solid, but I know that's hard for some. I can't do without it. 

It has been a while since I have felt this way. How do those of you who suffer from periodic depression cope with hs-ing, work, meals, house etc when you're down and out?

Need some help here. Thanks.

Exercise can be helpful because it balances your neurotransmitters, especially the big three ones. For women, aerobics does the trick. Men do better with anaerobics. John Ratey's book Spark explains this well.

If you tend to ruminate or catastrophize, recognizing when you're doing that and finding a way to nip it in the bud can help. I tend to do both and have found that stopping and analyzing my irrational thoughts helps to nip them in the bud.

Meditation also helps. Richard Davidson has studied numerous brain scans of depressed individuals and what he's found is that there are subgroups of depression that present characteristic patterns of brain activity. His book The Emotional Life of Your Brain goes into more detail. Chapter 11 explains what type of meditation to use and other methods of treatment. Davidson is one of the very best in this field.

Oxford also has some excellent info about mindfulness meditation and depression. Here's a podcast if you're interested:

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/new-psychology-depression

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

OP, right there with you.

My mom has spent years studying vitamin D as she has a lot of autoimmune and health problems, and her health really took a turn for the worse when a naturopath put her on high levels of vitamin D. She discovered the same guy who found out that h.Pylori is what causes ulcers also discovered that supplemental vitamin D is poisonous. He has a whole theory that it opens up the cells to bacteria and destroys the whole body. Sounds outrageous, I know, but after hearing her go on and on about it for so long, I have been very hesitant to start taking supplemental vitamin D. It's called the "Marshall Protocol" ftr.

Your mom might also want to keep up-to-date on helminthic therapies which are being used with some success in treating certain autoimmune disorders. Here is a 2010 article from Scientific American:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=helminthic-therapy-mucus

Thanks all. A little update. I had a day or two where things looked up: I felt better, exercised, and took some Vitamin D. But this morning the feeling is back. I wonder if it's related to drinking alcohol, in part. I went out for my dad's bday celebration last night and had two glasses of wine. When I woke up "Blam." I felt awful. 

I did manage to detail my car and clean out the chicken coop today, so I am not totally useless. But I feel like I am walking through sludge. DH is being great, thankfully. But I think I will need to take it easy tomorrow. I am planning a lot of read alouds, some math and writing. That's it. Then maybe we will go to the beach. I feel better when I am away from my house. We went to Disney on Friday and it was great. I felt released from responsibilities, which for some reason are weighing heavily on me now, and just felt relaxed and without responsibility to do the many chores, business-related things, homeschool things, etc that I always feel obliged to do.

SIgh. I just feel like crying. 

I think that's what slows a lot of us down.  Forcing yourself out the door even for the shortest of walks helps a great deal.  :grouphug:

Thank you for reminding me. I tend to think if I can't do a full-blown workout what's the difference. But you're right. Even a short 15 minute walk can help. 

I feel better when I am away from my house. We went to Disney on Friday and it was great. I felt released from responsibilities, which for some reason are weighing heavily on me now, and just felt relaxed and without responsibility to do the many chores, business-related things, homeschool things, etc that I always feel obliged to do.

Yeah - I think everyone feels that way a good part of the time.  Disney is my 'happy place', that's for sure.  Any vacation or time away is wonderful, but Disney is better :)

Anyway, I find that I can get into a downward spiral very easily, so I try very hard to avoid letting one start.  Generally I start to get too tired, let things slide, don't get up at the right time, etc., and then the feelings of inadequacy and guilt start.  Once I get there it seems really hard to pull out of it.  It is so very hard to have things trip me up - like an illness or extra project type things - and then crawl my way back out of being behind.

So - I've found the hard way that I have to do things I don't like to keep up.  In fact - I REALLY don't like them.  For example, I get up at 6:15 every morning.  Sleeping in is 7:15 on a weekend.  I am NOT a morning person.  I've been getting up early for about 8 weeks now, and I'm still groggy (thank God for coffee).  But - I sleep better at night, and I get more accomplished.

I started FlyLady - I have to say that it's nice to have checklists for everyday and know that when the list is done, I'm done!  I don't have to feel bad about other things that I need to do, because they are on the list for tomorrow, or the next day.  This also really helps me avoid getting behind.

I've been using FlyLady for school stuff as well (to keep up on grading and learning material ahead of my son). 

I hate being this regimented.  I used to hate having regimented/planned days and naps for my toddlers, but I did it because it worked - and if I didn't the consequences were dire!  So - I'm finding the same applies to my life now as well. 

I don't want to leave out that I am on Wellbutrin.  I'm OCD and had (have) anxiety issues and some depression  - this stuff is a lifesaver! 

:( This is why I need the 5-HTP. If my head isn't in the right place, there's no way I can even think about doing all the other things to keep myself physically and mentally healthy. I read threads like this and cry because I'm just so paralyzed. 

I forgot to also say that a good-sized dose of straight coconut oil daily is also critical for me. I love the taste and can eat it off a spoon as long as it's mostly solid, but I know that's hard for some. I can't do without it. 

Can you tell me what brand of 5-HTP you use? Thanks!