Menu

Rainbow Resource frustration....

Anyone else's order take forever to get?? I ordered the Second week in July..still nothing. I even paid for expedited processing. I could not pay for faster shipping b/c it would be way to much. This happened last year too. I am just so frustrated. I think it is partly b/c of it being a huge order but geez, I need to start this school year and have nothing. :rant:

Thank you...rant over......

Guest 4boys

Rainbow has usually been quick for me and I'm in Canada. But I've also never had a huge order. I am still waiting for some stuff from them but I only ordered last weekend so I hope it comes next week! Hope you get your stuff, it is frustrating to wait! Especially for cool homeschool stuff. :D

I second Abbey's recommendation to call them. Actually if I were you I would have done that long ago, given that you paid for expedited shipping. I ordered from RR for a number of years when I began homeschooling and virtually every time I was disappointed with their shipping time and poor customer service. I ultimately decided to support other companies. Feels great.:)

I've had occasional problems. Their prices are low enough that I figure the wait is a trade-off, and I don't buy anything from them that I need right away.

:grouphug: How frustrating that you even paid EXTRA, and are still waiting almost a month for your stuff!

I should call on Monday to check again. It was a purchase order and was in July so maybe I just ordered at a busy time. Maybe being in Alaska has something to do with it? I am a little frustrated that some people got their orders in a week..Great for you but that makes me more impatient. lol. I guess the fact we are moving the first week in October just adds to all this stress. Sometimes I wish I just had a "life remote" to fast forward through things.

I second Abbey's recommendation to call them. Actually if I were you I would have done that long ago, given that you paid for expedited shipping. I ordered from RR for a number of years when I began homeschooling and virtually every time I was disappointed with their shipping time and poor customer service. I ultimately decided to support other companies. Feels great.:)

I agree that shipping times aren't always quick, so I never order from them in a hurry, but I've never had poor customer service--guess it varies. I do like to do some of my ordering with other companies, though, rather than do all my shopping with one vendor.

I e-mailed my home school program teacher about this so hopefully she will call RR on Monday. I participate in a state program that gives home schoolers money to purchase curriculum and supplies. Since they did a purchase order I have to let them call and check into it. The only thing I have for this school year is Math and that is only b/c I ordered it back in March...At least we will be ahead in math...right??

:001_rolleyes:

I should call on Monday to check again. It was a purchase order and was in July so maybe I just ordered at a busy time. Maybe being in Alaska has something to do with it? I am a little frustrated that some people got their orders in a week..Great for you but that makes me more impatient. lol. I guess the fact we are moving the first week in October just adds to all this stress. Sometimes I wish I just had a "life remote" to fast forward through things.

Did you use the free shipping? I made that mistake when we very first moved here to Hawaii. "Free shipping" to Hawaii and Alaska goes *media mail* I called them after 6 weeks, paid the full shipping cost over the phone and finally got it within a week.

Anyone else's order take forever to get?? I ordered the Second week in July..still nothing. I even paid for expedited processing. I could not pay for faster shipping b/c it would be way to much. This happened last year too. I am just so frustrated. I think it is partly b/c of it being a huge order but geez, I need to start this school year and have nothing. :rant:

Thank you...rant over......

I'm sorry that your order is taking so long, I understand how frustrating that must be for you!! It does sound like and exceedingly long time!!

I've never ordered from RR prior to this but on recommendation from the Hive on the K-8 forum I went ahead and placed an $800 order on July 25. When I called to check on it on July 28, they said they were back ordered on 2 items. My entire order arrived August 8th! I've never been so pleased with a company before!!

Again, I'm sorry you're having a bad experience and if I were you, I'd definitely be calling to see what the status of your order is. GL!

I ordered lots from Amazon this year, but I also placed a reasonably large order (about$275) with RR on 7/31. I used their free shipping. On the advice of the phone representative who took my order I called the next day after placing it to check on it. One item was backordered. Had I not called they would have waited to ship my entire order. It was a non-essential item, so I removed it on Friday the 1st and my order shipped on Monday. I received it all on Thursday. The one item that was not available I've ordered from a different source.

I'd agree with other posters that you certainly need to call and check on your order. I've found their customer service personnel to be friendly and knowledgeable.

Well I only live a little over an hour away from them but since they don't have a store I still have to have mine shipped. I always check to see if anything is on back order. If i need things right away, I will break my order up into several smaller ones and put the back ordered items on the order with the stuff I don't need quite as fast. (It helps that I have to order so much stuff I can easily get free shipping multiple times over). I've never had any problems getting my order quickly even with regular shipping. In July I put in an order Monday night and I had it Thursday Morning but again since I live so close my shipping time is short to. I do know when I've ordered from places say on the West coast, it might take a week or two just in shipping time to get to me.

Stephanie

I e-mailed my home school program teacher about this so hopefully she will call RR on Monday. I participate in a state program that gives home schoolers money to purchase curriculum and supplies. Since they did a purchase order I have to let them call and check into it. The only thing I have for this school year is Math and that is only b/c I ordered it back in March...At least we will be ahead in math...right??

I used to belong to one of these programs and often it takes weeks for them to actually process the order and send it off to RR. I'd double check and make sure it isn't the program holding up your order. Good luck.

Did you use the free shipping? I made that mistake when we very first moved here to Hawaii. "Free shipping" to Hawaii and Alaska goes *media mail* I called them after 6 weeks, paid the full shipping cost over the phone and finally got it within a week.

Yes, that is how they shipped it...Now I feel sick.. How much would full shipping be on a $5,000.00. order? I'm guessing a lot. How in the world could you pay for it after 6 weeks and have it sped up? Was it still in their warehouse?

I used to belong to one of these programs and often it takes weeks for them to actually process the order and send it off to RR. I'd double check and make sure it isn't the program holding up your order. Good luck.

Well, I did call two weeks ago when I paid for the expedited processing and they said it would ship out the next day. So if they used media mail it could still be another month or so? I will call again on Monday and see if I can get this worked out. How incredibly annoying.

I am usually a Corona girl but maybe I need to try some Mikes...

Yes, that is how they shipped it...Now I feel sick.. How much would full shipping be on a $5,000.00. order? I'm guessing a lot. How in the world could you pay for it after 6 weeks and have it sped up? Was it still in their warehouse?

Actually, when I called I discovered it had been sent back to their warehouse because it wasn't addresed correctly.

But yes, if they just shipped it, media mail to Alaska or Hawaii takes 4-6 weeks.

*passes you a Mikes*

I would say this, plus the fact you live in Alaska, plus the fact you ordered at their busiest time of the year.... all add up to slow slow slow.:thumbdown:

That's great though that you get state money - is it from the pipeline or ??

Agreeing with others that I would call them on Monday. And just FYI I know from past experience that phone orders are quicker, I'm not sure why - maybe they call it back to you and can tell you the status of any backorders right away.

I once received a box from them within a week when we lived in the UK - but that wasn't in the summer. :)

They will hold the whole order if one item is back ordered. When you call Monday, if they are holding it for one or two items you may want to just cancel those two items. Ask how much they will charge you ship them separate. They have given me free shipping on back ordered items before, since they were part of a large order.

Good luck, I hope it all arrives Monday!

Not from rainbow resource, but another company I ordered 5 weeks ago, no books yet, so I called last week and they tell me more than 1/2 my order had been backordered and just came in that day, they would mail it out next week. FUnny, because I placed the order over the phone and was told everything was in stock. I think someone messed up and simply didn't complete my order for shipping. Very frustrating and I will not be ordering from them again. (THeir catalogue is misleading too because the price they list is the US price, so after you order, they convert it to Canadian $ and add 10% which is very frustrating)

Camille,

I noticed something about shipping to Alaska and using a purchase order on the Rainbow Resource website (I changed the text to red to highlight for you; Rainbow bolded the last line):

==================================================================================

How long will it take to receive my order?

Normally, your order will leave our warehouse from one to six business days after we receive it. If all items on your order are in stock, it may go out the next day, especially during times of the year when our order volume is relatively low. If there are items on your order that are temporarily out of stock, we hold the order up to 5 business days to try to fulfill the out of stock items. School purchase orders may be held up to 10 business days to fulfill out of stock items. Please see our backorders policy for more information on how these are handled.

During April, May, June and July we are packing for exhibits at our warehouse, and this sometimes slows shipping time. The heavy order volume we experience in July, August, and September can also slow shipping time, although we are constantly implementing measures to improve our order processing time.

If your order is shipping UPS, actual shipping time (after it leaves our warehouse) varies from 1-7 days, depending on the shipping zone in which you are located. Orders shipped U.S. Postal Service Media Mail (Book Rate) may take up to 2-4 weeks within the 48 contiguous states. U.S. Postal Service shipments to AK and HI may take up to 3-5 weeks, while USPS Priority Mail shipments to AK and HI generally take 5-7 days. Please allow 2-3 weeks for Canada Air Mail, and 4-6 weeks for shipments sent Air Mail to other countries. We are not able to provide shipping time estimates on orders shipped to APO addresses. If order processing time is important, please order by phone during our normal business hours so that we can give you our best shipping time estimate.

==================================================================================

God bless,

Darlene

No, not pipeline but a State program for home-schoolers. You can check it out at http://www.ravenschool.com (There are two other options; IDEA and Cyperlynx) These are only for Alaskan residents. I am told Alaska is the only state that does this. I get $1,600. for two of my children and $1800. for one of my children per year. In return I agree to quarterly reports and benchmark testing. I get the money that would go to the school system if my children were in public school.

IMHO, I think every state should incorporate this kind of program as an option. If I have to pay taxes and those monies are going to the public school system, I should have a right to the money that "would" be going to my child in a public setting. Of course many states would not be open to this and would fight it tooth and nail. Especially when that means money coming out of their pockets...Oh well, one can dream. I will really miss this help when I move.

I'd think with a single order that big they'd go ahead and process it so they can get their money. Call them and find out if it has been shipped yet. If not call every day or every couple of days to find out when it is shipped. At least then you'll know when to expect it.

We get about $6000 for our 4 hsing children (we use a charter school). Can I just say you're right--it's dumbfoundingly awesome?! :lol: We use a lot of Catholic curriculum, which the state won't pay for obviously, but with the extra money we can do so many things we'd otherwise never be able to do (lessons, professional art supplies, etc.).

When I read that your order was $5000 I about fell out of my chair. And the state pays for it all!!! :drool: Oh my word....What you could do with all that $$. I'm a bit dumbfounded.

It has been a true blessing. We have bought a very nice microscope, reference books, reading library, laptop, science kits, telescope and prepared slides, art supplies,and structured lessons. This year, I bought the next few grades curriculum in Math, History and Language Arts. (Since we have to move) There are some things they wont pay for like some religious curriculum but I just buy that on my own. We are moving back here as soon as we can. I would really like my kids to finish up home schooling in Alaska. There is so much support here for it and lots of neat opportunities.

We get about $6000 for our 4 hsing children (we use a charter school). Can I just say you're right--it's dumbfoundingly awesome?! :lol: We use a lot of Catholic curriculum, which the state won't pay for obviously, but with the extra money we can do so many things we'd otherwise never be able to do (lessons, professional art supplies, etc.).

May I ask what school it is and if they are nation wide?

Late summer is their busiest time. It's a small, family-run business, and add to that all the conferences they attend, things can take a bit longer. I've been ordering from them for the past 7 years, and if I've ordered in July or August, it's always taken a bit longer.

I just ordered from them a couple of weeks ago and got it in less than a week!

No, not pipeline but a State program for home-schoolers. You can check it out at http://www.ravenschool.com (There are two other options; IDEA and Cyperlynx) These are only for Alaskan residents. I am told Alaska is the only state that does this. I get $1,600. for two of my children and $1800. for one of my children per year. In return I agree to quarterly reports and benchmark testing. I get the money that would go to the school system if my children were in public school.

IMHO, I think every state should incorporate this kind of program as an option. If I have to pay taxes and those monies are going to the public school system, I should have a right to the money that "would" be going to my child in a public setting. Of course many states would not be open to this and would fight it tooth and nail. Especially when that means money coming out of their pockets...Oh well, one can dream. I will really miss this help when I move.

I think I would be in heaven.....my dc would ALL get Calvert and then MORE!!!!

I could SO spend $5000!!!!!!:D

Well, I called RR today. The Customer service rep. told me that items started getting shipped off the week of July 22, so I should start getting boxes any time now. Some were shipped media mail and she said some were upgraded to priority?

Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I need to start school next Monday and I have NOTHING...Curse media mail....