Menu

What would YOU do to fix schools (s/o private school)

The latest proficiency scores for my district were 11% for language and 6% in math.  In many cases entire grade levels completely flunked the tests.  

In the 6 years I've lived in the district they have jumped on every buzz word bandwagon to get funding (Children Left Behind, Race to Nowhere, and now Uncommon Crap).  They have changed the length of the school day almost yearly.  They have changed the attendance zones every year. 

The changes would have gotten me terribly annoyed and the attendance zones changes confusing for everyone.

Your district's proficiency scores make me curious enough to compute my school district's scores.  California standardized tests aren't that hard going by the samples.  My district proficient and advanced is at 63% for 2nd to 11th grade language arts, 65% for 2nd to 7th grade math, 37% for algebra 1, 38% geometry, 34% algebra 2 (with 38% failing algebra 2).  Very middle of the road results.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The changes would have gotten me terribly annoyed and the attendance zones changes confusing for everyone.

Your district's proficiency scores make me curious enough to compute my school district's scores.  California standardized tests aren't that hard going by the samples.  My district proficient and advanced is at 63% for 2nd to 11th grade language arts, 65% for 2nd to 7th grade math, 37% for algebra 1, 38% geometry, 34% algebra 2 (with 38% failing algebra 2).  Very middle of the road results.

I don't think NY test is that hard either but this is 1st year to adopt "uncommon crap". They state wide proficient rate is 30% cross all subject and gardes.