Menu

5th Grade LA suggestions?

Hello,

I am just wondering what would be best to move into for LA for my oldest next year? He is in 4th grade now, and I'm just thinking ahead... This is our 3rd year homeschooling, and we have been using FLL since 2nd grade (now on level 4), as well as WWE (also on level 4, and we're going to try out the 1st week of WWS1 just to see how he does working independently)... We just started using MFW, and they recommend Writing Strands and Primary/Intermediate Language Lessons, but I stayed with SWB's books because we have enjoyed them so much and I wanted to continue in what we were already doing. I'm assuming we will move on to WWS once we're done with WWE, but what is best for grammar? I heard a rumor that there was going to be a book called Advanced Language Lessons, but is that just a rumor? My issue is that I don't want to switch to something that will be behind from what he already knows, so he doesn't get bored... It would be great if we could find something that continues where FLL leaves off... Not sure if Intermediate Language Lessons will not be enough, so I'm just looking for some good suggestions :) Thanks!

Advanced Language Lessons is on the back burner until SWB completes her writing program, so you are best served by looking for something else for next year. At least, that's what I last heard on these boards. I don't know anything about Intermediate Language Lessons.

You have several choices for grammar programs after FLL. We went with Hake 6, which is secular, and our transition was seamless. (Hake 5 would have been too repetitive/easy after 4 yrs of FLL.) Another choice recommended on these boards is Rod and Staff, which is not secular.

Hake can be completely independent. I verbally go over the lesson with my kids (but they do the same level at once, so it isn't so hard to do). It is actually written to the student!

I bought the writing component and think it had some good stuff (basic composition lessons), but I want to continue WWE and move to WWS so I won't be using it.

We completed WWE 2-4 & FLL 1/2-4 and moved to Hake Grammar 5 this year. Ds(5th grade) is completely independent with this subject(which is essential for me to homeschool all my dc). He's on lesson 10, and its easy for him. I don't mind because I feel he needs a couple of easy subjects-WWS & Latin are challenging for him & working independently is new. Hake 5 is giving him straightforward review/practice & confidence in his ability to work independently.

• 4 weeks later...