Menu

27 Stunning Works Of Art You Won’t Believe Aren’t Photographs

awisha.

These kinds of things always leave me conflicted.  They're extremely cool, but at the same time, knowing that for most of these, the artist projected a photograph onto the canvas/paper and basically traced and copied...  I don't know.  It takes something away from it.  But I'll spare you all my ramblings on the definition of art. ;)

These kinds of things always leave me conflicted. They're extremely cool, but at the same time, knowing that for most of these, the artist projected a photograph onto the canvas/paper and basically traced and copied... I don't know. It takes something away from it. But I'll spare you all my ramblings on the definition of art. ;)

It takes even more away when it's just a photographer passing a button, yes?

No. Because art is about seeing something important or beautiful and using certain skills to communicate that to others. It takes a tremendous amount of skill to recreate something in a photo-realistic fashion. I don't know if you draw but I find people are predisposed to draw symbols, not what is actually in front of them. It's a huge challenge to recreate something in such a specific manner, even with projectors.

As for what they see and communicate, one of my favorite artist is Canadian, Mary Pratt. She has been at photographic realism longer then many of those other young whippersnappers have been alive.

She does a lot of domestic scenes: fish in plastic, roasting chicken, jam jars. They are things we look at all the time in our kitchens and think nothing of but she paints and you finally see how beautiful they are. She could have just taken a picture but part of the beauty of her paintings is the time and work invested to recreate the picture.

I have no doubts that it's art.

How do you know that they were projected?  (Not saying you're wrong - just curious. I used to do a little bit of drawing and I find this stuff fascinating.)  It would still takes a huge amount of skill to make the finished product look like that. 

Number 26 is particularly amazing to me.

The sculptures are kind of creepy.

I can't say they all are, of course, but I've read several articles about this type of art, and it seems to be the norm.  It's why a lot of them have so many random little details you wouldn't generally see in a run-of-the-mill painting or drawing.

I can't say they all are, of course, but I've read several articles about this type of art, and it seems to be the norm.  It's why a lot of them have so many random little details you wouldn't generally see in a run-of-the-mill painting or drawing.

I think they're technically impressive, but they leave me cold.  It seems to be more about the artist as opposed to the subject and the mood or idea the artist is trying to convey.