Menu

I left a baby swing by the side of the road...

momto10blessings

And saw someone selling it today at their yard sale.

My sil gave me a baby swing that plugs into the wall so I left our old one by the side of the road, hoping it would bless someone. On the way to town there is a store that rents out parking lot space to 2 yard sales each day. When I was driving by I saw a high chair I was interested in, so I stopped to look at it. MY SWING WAS THERE with a price tag of $25. I know it was my swing because 1- it had a scratch on the leg just where mine did and 2- the lady who picked it up was the seller. Here's the kicker- after I put it out she knocked on my door and asked if I could hold it for her until she returned with her husband. She told me it was for her daughter who just found out she was pregnant with twins and her husband just lost his job.

Seriously I would think it was strange if she had not told me that, but I would have just laughed it off. So why'd she have to lie to me and make me feel sorry for her???

I saw her and jokingly said that since she was making $25 off my swing, she could trade me for the high chair. She told me she had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyway, thought it was funny. You never know where your stuff is going to end up. My aunt once sold a lady a truckload of things for a great deal and saw her selling the things for 4 times the price the next weekend.

I'd be fine with someone picking up my free thing and selling it. Happens all the time on ebay, craigslist, and freecycle. If they're willing to do the work I wasn't willing to do, more power to them.

I'd be really annoyed about being lied to, though.

Guest submarines

I'd be fine with someone picking up my free thing and selling it. Happens all the time on ebay, craigslist, and freecycle. If they're willing to do the work I wasn't willing to do, more power to them.

I'd be really annoyed about being lied to, though.

I'd be fine with her selling it. I can imagine she felt awkward about reselling (hence the lying), but really, she shouldn't. 

Every now and then when a homeschool day is particularly bad, I think about packing up a ton of classical books for ages K-9th grade and posting a Freebie give away here on the WTM.  I think, wouldn't that be awesome for someone just getting started?  And then I think the person who will get them will most likely then turn around and sell them to the highest bidder.  Cause, you know, some people are just good at selling things.  Me, not so much.  The girl hiding behind the bushes instead of going up to the door to actually sell the Girl Scout cookies--that was me.   :)

Maybe the mom-to-be of twins was desiring matching swings, so the used swing went to the sale.    Really, someone I love having twins wanted things to match.  And I totally understand that because these were going to be her first babies.  :)  

You were a blessing to the lady.  Just think--she got to tell all her friends that she found a swing on the side of the road and sold it for $25!  :)

I get that its no big deal she was selling the swing. But people have a lot of nerve to lie to someones face, while they are asking them to do them a favor. Ugh, rude.

And then when OP made a comment (jokingly) about her cutting her a deal on the high chair, she acted like she didn't know what OP was talking about.

It's comical in a way ( :laugh: )... but extremely bad manners.

I get that its no big deal she was selling the swing. But people have a lot of nerve to lie to someones face, while they are asking them to do them a favor. Ugh, rude.

And then when OP made a comment (jokingly) about her cutting her a deal on the high chair, she acted like she didn't know what OP was talking about.

It's comical in a way ( :laugh: )... but extremely bad manners.

I don't think the OP was doing her a favor-on the contrary, a favor was done to her, in that someone took away her trash.  

I feel sad for people who lie to save face, but I also admire poor people who are resourceful, rather than going on the dole.  Gosh, I can really see how someone like that might feel like they can't win.  

I don't think the OP was doing her a favor-on the contrary, a favor was done to her, in that someone took away her trash.  

I feel sad for people who lie to save face, but I also admire poor people who are resourceful, rather than going on the dole.  Gosh, I can really see how someone like that might feel like they can't win.  

I meant when the lady asked OP to hold it for her, because of her pregnant daughter, the dh that lost the job, etc. It was out there for anyone who needed it to pick up, and she asked OP to hold it for her.

You basically left it for trash. I don't see the big deal. Maybe what she needed was the money.

I think the oddity is that it was on the curb as free and went out of her way to come to the door with a story. I doubt the OP would have batted an eye if she'd just taken it and added it to her yard sale.

I think the oddity is that it was on the curb as free and went out of her way to come to the door with a story. I doubt the OP would have batted an eye if she'd just taken it and added it to her yard sale.

Exactly. If I had seen it without talking to the lady, I would have thought it was odd that my swing somehow ended up at that yard sale, but laughed it off. Why come to the door and tell me some story about how your daughter could really use this swing and it would bless her so much, blah blah blah. Just come to my door and ask if I could save it for you, no explanation needed. Or maybe leave it at the bottom of the driveway for an hour until your husband can get there, taking your chances with someone else taking it

You know, there is another possibility that I didn't think of at first-maybe the story WAS true, and then something changed-she decided it was not in good enough shape to sell, or someone else bought the same gift in the meanwhile.

Maybe. I left it out Tuesday evening and saw it Thursday. It was an older swing, but hardly used. She could have been embarrassed, which is why she pretended not to recognize me

When I was a child, we were having a yard sale on the same Saturday as the neighbors three doors down. They came by our house and bought a few things. A while later, we went down to check out their stuff. There were the things they bought from us, marked up for sale. That was weird.

Honestly, if you left out for pick up, then what the person who took it does with it is their business. I wouldn't worry about it at all, even the lying part. She could have been embarrassed but she did not do anything wrong by selling it. I don't think it was very polite to point that out to her either. I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

So many people take things that were free/cheap to them and sell them on eBay. This is no different.

Honestly, if you left out for pick up, then what the person who took it does with it is their business. I wouldn't worry about it at all, even the lying part. She could have been embarrassed but she did not do anything wrong by selling it. I don't think it was very polite to point that out to her either. I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

So many people take things that were free/cheap to them and sell them on eBay. This is no different.

I hate being lied to, so this is hard for me to get past.

And I don't see how her lying to me is ok, but me saying something to her wasn't polite?

Sorry, y'all... I'm just pissed that

1- I was just trying to get rid of my darn swing and bless someone, but ended up going out of my way to bring the swing back up to my house and wait around for someone to come pick it up. Usually I put something at the end of my driveway and its gone in a few hours. No idea who took it or why.

2- I was lied to. I'm trying to convince myself that I wasn't, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

Next time I will put a sign on it that says "do not knock on door"

I would be mad too, because she knocked on your door and asked you to hold something for her while playing on your sympathy with her story. When I put something out for the trash or for the garbage pickers, I generally don't want any contact. We've been in the process of putting out a lot of stuff and have had people stop and ask if we have this or that, and they have told us they resell. If I have what they are looking for and it's something I'm planning on getting rid of, I will gladly go get it for them. I don't have a problem with people reselling my cast offs, but to play on my sympathy and ask me to hold something, only to find out it wasn't true would definitely annoy me.

Speaking of leaving stuff out for trash/garbage pickers, the other day dh left a good wheelbarrow in our driveway a few feet away from where we leave the trash out. We have a row of bushes separating our yard from the road, and there is a few feet of grass between the bushes and the road where the trash is left. The wheelbarrow was behind the bushes in our driveway. Someone pulled up, and after realizing we were sitting on our porch, asked us if it was trash. We told them it wasn't, and they yelled at us that it looked like it was put out for garbage. I think if we weren't out there we would have lost a wheelbarrow that night. To me, if you're not sure if it's trash, then don't take it! That will teach dh to leave the wheelbarrow in the driveway, lol.