Menu

Libby and the Thunderstorm

Jean in Newcastle

Our dog recently decided he is afraid of thunder. Nothing helps him at all! A previous dog would only calm down if we played Yanni loudly, lol. I think we were flipping through TV stations when there was a Yanni concert on PBS, and the dog instantly settled down. We went out and bought a CD asap. The next storm we put the CD in, turned it up, and had a calm happy dog. It wouldn't work with any other music, unfortunately. 

Bach's Rescue Remedy worked for our old girl. It's a people formula of flower essences, found in Whole Foods or vitamin stores or online. She took a whole dropper of it but was 75lbs. She still hated storms but didn't try to sit on our heads and stopped panting frantically. Our kennel turns on all the lights and plays loud classical music if there's a storm. I don't know if I could take Yanni! :)

What worked for us was our dog's getting too deaf to hear the thunder.  Once he turned 12 or 13, he was fine.  Possibly that is not the answer you were looking for, but until then, one of us had to sleep downstairs with him during a thunderstorm.  We used some kind of EZ-something or another, probably similar to Rescue Remedy, that worked well for general age-related anxiety but was not nearly strong enough for thunderstorms.  I wish we had known about thundershirts, though I don't know that that would have been enough.

I hope you find something that works for Libby.