Menu

So Thankful...Today was GOOD

We have struggled this year, not with attitude but with trying to fit round pegs in square holes.  We have been part of charter program the past four years, and entering high school meant changes...changes that weren't so great for us.

We quit.  It was hard to make the choice to walk away from the funding, but it was 100% the right choice for us.

Today, we were fully back into our groove, we turned away from traditional curriculum and went back to what works for us, a very eclectic, hands on, more visual approach using textbooks as a guide or framework, but not really to work out of word for word.

We are all SO happy!  I am so glad we made the switch and we can continue to learn in the way that has proven to be most successful for us.  It's been a really, really hard past couple of months (we homeschool year round) and I feel like today, we arrived back in our sweet spot.

Today was why we homeschool.

Here in TN we do not have the charter options that are available to you. If we did, it would be very difficult to walk away from that sort of funding. Good for you to realize it wasn't going to work for your love bugs and for then having the fortitude to walk away. Did you pull all the kids?

Mandy

ETA: and what are you using now?

The whole week was just so, so much better.  Ahhh...we went back to using an eclectic mix of materials, like Connect the Thoughts (A big hit around our house), more whole books, textbooks more as a guide than being married to them.  It is weird, we just feel so much more like ourselves!  WE went back to notebooking our learning, which is really very much our style.  Amazing how far off course we grew from all the original reasons we decided to homeschool.  What helped the most was pulling out the document I  created our first week of homeschooling.  When I read what our goals were, and how far afield we were headed, I was ashamed of myself.  

And it was all about money.  Which matters...but shouldn't matter that much.

I learned how easily we can all be sucked in by the lure of funding.

We quit.  It was hard to make the choice to walk away from the funding, but it was 100% the right choice for us.

Today, we were fully back into our groove

This is awesome!!!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Plow forward confidently!  The point is to raise kids who are fully developed to their potential for themselves.  It's not a race, and our kids aren't rats.  It's so freeing to get OFF the rat race and realize we DON'T have to live like that to do a good job and homeschool them appropriately.