Menu

Allergy shots...feeling bummed

I just found out that in my new location, the allergy shots are 3x as much money as before.  Our old doctor happened to be contracted for a lower price, having been grandfathered in by Cigna at that lower price.  

Now, my children's shot co-pay is 30.00 PER SHOT.  For two kids, that works out to 240.00 per month.

They are only 4 months into their treatment so we probably have 8 months to go of weekly shots. 

I spoke with my insurance and everything to make sure the billing was correct.  

So sorry. I did 6 years of allergy shots, and that is about what I paid (and I had two shots each just for me--allergic to everything). Now I save money on meds, if that helps at all. I had weekly shots only until I reached a certain dosage, and then it tapered to 2 weeks, and so on until I was going 1x per month.

Can they teach you to do them at home?  My mom did my shots when I was a kid.  She didn't have a medical background.  A few training appointments where they showed her, then let her try with saline, and from then on we did them at home, just picked up the vials and syringes.  Saves on gas too that way...  Of course you have to be comfortable giving them and your kids would have to be ok with mom doing them!