Menu

FYI...K9 internet filter

mommybee

I've found a glitch with the K9 internet filter and wanted to pass it on. Apparently it can't filter traffic from secure https sites. My main example: I realized last night that while youtube is blocked in many ways in my settings it is bypassed if you are logged into your gmail and you click on the youtube link at the top of your gmail. That's even when I specified to block the youtube page no matter what.....it still came up fine.

Any better filters? I have been so pleased with how this one works but this threw me and really bugs me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I was just surprised that even with a filter you can't block what you want to block.

I have a love/hate relationship with the internet at this point in my life!

I know what you mean! It seems that the filters either don't block enough, or block too much. I need to find a good filter for iPad that would allow me to customize it so I can block the truly bad stuff, but allow the PG-13-type stuff.

It looks like it's fixed on my computer. Since I put youtube in my always block list maybe it just needed time to take effect. I don't know but it's working correctly now, thank goodness!

I like to block it cause it's so easy for me to bypass using my password. Just makes life a little easier.

So for now K9 is working out.

K-9 is really easy to get around.  I've done it accidentally (and on purpose checking).  You can google search a slang term and get all sorts of sites that will come up.

It's better than nothing, and makes a person work a little to get to something inappropriate, but it is in no way stringent.

We've tried K-9 and NetNanny. I'm ready to try again, but I'm not hopeful. I'm beginning to think  that it's me. Maybe I actually need to read the instructions and figure out to implement them fully.

Did NetNanny have the same problems at K-9?  Or different ones?  K-9 is free, so I don't want to pay $30 or $40 for something that's not any better.  Thx!

Net Nanny seemed to block all sorts of things that my kids needed to use. I feel like I was always typing in exceptions. It may be just because I never learned to use it correctly.

Thanks, Maryann, for the info.  I'm sure you were using it correctly.  That would frustrate me to no end.  I already feel like I waste hours every week trying to keep the computers, printers and others devices running for various things my kids need to do on the computer, so that's the last thing I need.