Menu

Your high school extras

Night Elf

I was thinking this morning about my high school years. I didn't love high school, but I did enjoy the extras I was involved in:

newspaper

FBLA

statistician for wrestling and baseball teams

rifle corps (my biggest accomplishment was making captain for my junior year)

What were you involved in?

math club

student council--this actually included a one-credit course called Leadership where we met with the entire student council--student body and each class. We learned Robert's Rules of Order, made important decisions like the Homecoming dance theme and gave input on the dress code. I think that was 2 days/wk and the other 3 we met with just our class council.

tennis--this was only one year and on a dare. My friend's sister played and friend would wait for her sis at practice. The coach asked her why she didn't play--they had room for a few more players on the JV team. She mentioned this to me and another friend and we all did the "I'll play if you play" thing until we all decided to join the team. So that year I learned how to play tennis. That was jr year. The coach thought I might be able to make the last spot on the varsity team sr year if I worked at it over the summer but for many reasons that didn't work out.

Music: every summer I went to music camp for six weeks (one time, at band camp.....). During the year I took private lessons, marched, played in a quintet, was the drum major, sang in the school choir, played guitar in the church folk group. It took up a lot of my time. :)

Worked: at a clothing store, which was like a slow, painful death, and at a video store, which was fun. I think I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off a hundred times...

In high school, which I entered young and completed in 3 years, I was not very social.  I was an introvert anyway - hated most group socialization, preferred to draw and write poetry :) .  I also had to take an above-average course load to finish a college prep course in 3 years.  And I had to work to earn spending money, and was responsible for my young siblings after school.  That said, the only activity I am sure I was in was Project Allegro, the gifted club.  I might have taken band one year, or did I stop that in 8th grade?  I think I quit band because it required participation in marching band, which I could not swing.

I remember when I first went to the jr/sr high school in 8th grade, I showed up at the Black Culture Club because I thought it would be interesting.  The stares were not welcoming.  Oh well.

Marching band. Pep band. Indoor drumline. Winterguard floor crew. Trumpet lessons. Made out with now-DH in practice rooms. See a theme here? :-)

I was also in National Honor Society and did the AMC math competitions until my calculus teacher kicked me off for not joining Mu Alpha Theta. I worked at Walmart and played with a wedding gig jazz band for a while until the bandleaders' divorce became too much drama during rehearsals.

I don't think I saw my parents much for four years.

I went to a small, rural high school and I really enjoyed it. I was a cheerleader in a region where it was competitive and athleticism mattered more than popularity. (I live 'up north' now and, twenty years later, the cheerleaders are super-cute and really not very good. The stereotypes make sense HERE.) Yes, I'm a cheerleading apologist, but it took up MOST of my allotted extra curricular time.

I ran track during the one season that cheerleaders are off. I enjoyed it, but I was exceptionally average. I was a sprinter. I did a few clubs and some student government, but those things really didn't take up enough time to be memorable. I got good grades and I liked my teachers. I was very social, so I really enjoyed the bustle of a school day. I actually became a K-8 teacher, but I've spent more time homeschooling than teaching in a classroom. I used to think that homeschooling had me too spoiled to teach public school, but now I daydream about it a bit. My kids are teens and my heart is in elementary school. I'm down to ONE homeschooled child, so I have a little space to imagine the possibilities.

I went to a mid sized public school.

I did JV soccer

National Honor Society

Spanish National Honor Society

High School Bowl (we were 2nd in the state my Sr year -yay us!)

Latin Club including Certamen competitor at the annual state Latin competition (state champs two years in a row!)

School play all four years

Prom committee (in probably the only part of the country where we say "The Prom" and not just Prom, as in "I'm going to the prom."

After school and over the summers I worked at a nearby Equity summer stock theatre.  It offered me some unique opportunities including going into Manhattan to assist with an Equity casting call(assist as in get coffee and organize papers).

I went to a mid sized public school.

I did JV soccer

National Honor Society

Spanish National Honor Society

High School Bowl (we were 2nd in the state my Sr year -yay us!)

Latin Club including Certamen competitor at the annual state Latin competition (state champs two years in a row!)

School play all four years

Prom committee (in probably the only part of the country where we say "The Prom" and not just Prom, as in "I'm going to the prom."

After school and over the summers I worked at a nearby Equity summer stock theatre.  It offered me some unique opportunities including going into Manhattan to assist with an Equity casting call(assist as in get coffee and organize papers).

I went to a tiny private school with virtually no extracurriculars.  I was on the literary magazine and the yearbook (an editor my senior year).  That's pretty much all there was!  There was also a model UN team that I did freshman year but never really got into.  It was a school requirement that we had to play sports for 2 out of the 3 terms each year, and that was MWF.  It wasn't exactly an athletic powerhouse of a school, and the sports were things like squash and ultimate frisbee.  I did ballet, fencing, sailing, and ballroom dance during various terms.  Thursdays was a late day (it went to 4:05 I remember), because we had an assembly (where a different speaker came in every week) and class meetings.  So extracurriculars basically only had Tuesday afternoon to meet, and most people didn't do anything.

rifle corps (my biggest accomplishment was making captain for my junior year)

Hey Night Elf, was that twirling rifles or shooting them? I did the twirling type.

I was year book editor my senior year. That took up insane amounts of time. I also did Junior Achievement, drama, and a bunch of clubs that didn't require much commitment (NHS, AFS, French Club, Spanish Club etc.)

I went to a high school of close to 1000 students, my grad class was over 300, and most of them I didn't even recognize on graduation day, Unless they were in my actual classes I didn't notice at all.

I was involved in nothing for most of high school, though I did help with a couple theatre productions doing behind the scenes things, I did that because the drama teacher let me even though I was not in his class, in fact I was supposed to be in chemistry class, and I did the same for the drama club.

It's funny because in elementary and junior high I was in ever extra club, the reach for the top team(competed on tv a couple times), chess club, volunteered all over the dang place(worked in the school office for a full year, was the one that ran/monitored the milk machine, ran the student "store" at lunch time(where students could buy sweets, microwaveable subs etc), worked in the school library for several years etc.  By the time I hit high school I just didn't care anymore.  I went to school, napped a good chunk of the day in the student lounge and then went to work everyday after school.  Even if I wanted to join extras they all happened at the same time as work, so I couldn't anyway.  I think the fact that I graduated at all was amazing, the fact I did so while taking care of my siblings, working etc even better.  But yeah I really didn't have extras.

International Folk Dance Group! It was loosely affiliated with the school aka you needed someone on the yearbook team to be in the club for it to show up in the yearbook. The year before I joined it was in the yearbook, but my three years it wasn't. It was also loose enough that some of my fellow yearmates volunteer with the group now, and they attended dance camps for years after high school.

9th to 10th grade (secondary school) - Girl Guides, Math and Science Club

11-12th grade (junior college) - Student Council, Science Club

For 9th-10th grade, school was 7:15am to 1:15pm everyday with one recess and no lunch

For 11-12th grade, school was 7:15am to 4:30pm everyday with one recess and one lunch. Wednesday was the short day and ended at 3pm

Hey Night Elf, was that twirling rifles or shooting them? I did the twirling type.

Yep, twirling! It was great fun, I loved it! Our corps was like a military style though. We wore majorette boots but didn't dance around. The year I was captain, I talked the band director into letting us do the middle song on field using ribbons. We still didn't dance around, but we did more movement with the ribbons than with the rifles. But it was not military. I have never been involved in anything even remotely military. :)