Menu

? about a Derek Owens' class

Staceyshoe

We're considering Derek Owens' Physical Science class for this year.  Ds doesn't need it to meet any requirements. I noticed that the tuition cost is $68 per month for 9 months and a workbook is recommended.  The workbook can be purchased from Lulu, and the video lectures seem to be available free at both Youtube and Lucideducation.com.  Since we don't need a grade and won't list the class on a transcript, is there any reason to officially register?

ETA:  I should have mentioned that the website says the homework problems and tests are available for students who register. I'm not sure whether that would be important for us or not. It might be good practice for ds in learning how to recognize what information is important and will likely be on a test. Otherwise, I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I don't know that it justifies the cost of registering. I'd love to hear from someone who is more familiar with Derek Owens' classes and whether the homework is a big part of the course or not.

What is called the workbook is the notes for the lectures that have holes in them that the student is supposed to fill in while watching the lectures.  In most of his courses the workbook also has practice problems for the student to do.  The assessment piece is missing from the workbook.  In order to use the workbook effectively, you need access to all of the videos, which you don't have with You Tube or the Lucid Education site.  Also note that the online classes are only $58 per month.

All that said, I believe the physical science course is one of the ones that you can buy in its entirety.  You get all materials needed to do the course without teacher support.  Here's a link.

Oh, thank you!  Somehow I didn't realize that all the videos weren't there.  I'm *so* glad you mentioned that the whole course can be purchased for less $!  Wow!  That is everything I was hoping for and only a fraction of the cost I was estimating.  Absolutely perfect!!  You just made my day!