Menu

Deleted

Insist they call an outside company to come deal with the problem. Threaten legal action. Enlist the help of the fire department. Contact a tenants rights organization if they refuse.

Don't sleep another night there. You're putting your lives in the "hands" of that co2 alarm. I'm glad it has worked so far, but if I knew that all that stood between my family and death was a $40 bunch of plastic and wires, I'd never sleep again.

Talk to the highest ranking person you can immediately. If they're not going to replace the pipe today, pay out of pocket and do it yourself. I'd fight to get the repair cost deducted off rent later, but it's too dangerous to wait. They should also deduct something off your rent for the inconvenience caused by the gross inadequacy of their repair.

I agree with a previous poster. Do NOT stay there until it has been fixed. It is not worth your lives to keep taking chances. Stay in a homeless shelter if you have to. I would insist to the landlord on moving to another unit ASAP. I would also not settle for anyone less than a certified professional to fix it. 

I know you say it's a nice place, but if they are cutting corners with this, what other safety issues have they "patched" over?

Good luck and hope it's not too much of a pain for you. 

I would take my dc and go to the local police and/or fire department and bring the CDC info you found. The local Building Dept might help too -- are there rules about re-inspection after a CO leak? Is there any way of finding out who the owner's insurer is? A tip to them?

In your position, I would consult an attorney. People listen harder when an attorney complains; plus, you may stand a good chance of getting hotel costs reimbursed. And owner would be less likely to retaliate against you later, by, say, not renewing your lease. 

The last two times that this has happened, the maintenance man put tape on the pipe to cover up the hole, even though they didn't know exactly where the hole was. Last night, a friend sent me a quote from the CDC website. "Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper." What the heck!!

As far as this....if I understand correctly, there is a pipe that leaves the apartment and it possibly has a hole in it, allowing CO2 to escape.  The repair man wrapped the outside of the pipe in tape to hopefully  secure the leak.  

The CDC link is talking about not putting tape over the main exit hole at the end of the pipe. As in 'don't cover the end of the pipe where the CO2 is Supposed to escape'.

As far as the CO2 leak in general, get out and stay out until it is fixed by a professional. 

"The CDC link is talking about not putting tape over the main exit hole at the end of the pipe. As in 'don't cover the end of the pipe where the CO2 is Supposed to escape'."

Thanks. That's good to know. They came to look at our hot water heater this morning and I heard one of the men say to the other "If it happens again, we'll have to replace it." If It happens again? Seriously? 

Thank you all for the advice. 

The last two times that this has happened, the maintenance man put tape on the pipe to cover up the hole, even though they didn't know exactly where the hole was.

So he put some tape randomly on a pipe and has no idea if the tape is even over the hole? Doesn't sound fixed.

BTW, the plumber usually uses dishwashing liquid to find the holes.  He wipes it all over the pipes and connections, and looks for bubbles.

Well, they are supposed to use dishwashing liquid to locate the leak, for one thing.

I would insist that the pipe be replaced immediately, TODAY. Not next week. Not tomorrow. Not "if it happens again." Today. If they buck at the request then tell them your family will be checking into a hotel until the situation is remedied, and in the meantime you'll be consulting with the city fire department, the city building department (check with city hall for contact info), and an attorney.

Carbon monoxide is deadly. Your landlord needs to take this more seriously.

They came this afternoon to replace the entire thing after my father-in-law called them and insisted that they do so.  :)

Great FIL!!!!

In some areas, a new hot water heater installation MUST be inspected (BTDT). Did the installers mention that? If not, you might want to call your building dept & check.

Btw, when my heater was replaced recently, the plumbers had to enlarge the vent hole into the chimney, because the code had changed.