Menu

Memoria Press Iliad tests

Daisy

Has anyone used these study guides? The tests are extremely daunting. They are expected to memorize everything (names, places, quotes) and SPELL it all correcty. Eight pages of nothing but memorization regurgitation. No essays at all. My 13yo is bright but I've never seen anything like these tests. Personally I think it is a little overkill.

I'm just wondering if any of you have modified these, created or own tests, or if you actually gave them as written.

Thanks, Polly.

I did manage to contact Memoria and they said they were revising these tests because they are outrageous. I guess I'm going to be making my own tests for these guides this year.

Daisy,

are those tests included in the Teacher Manual?

I only bought the Student workbook because I was curious to see how the lessons were structured, but haven't bought the TM yet. If they are going to revise the TM, I'm going to wait for that.

Thanks,

Thanks, Polly.

I did manage to contact Memoria and they said they were revising these tests because they are outrageous. I guess I'm going to be making my own tests for these guides this year.

Daisy, thanks for sharing this information.  I'm planning to use this in the future and it is good to know what to expect.

Yes, the tests are included in the TM. I actually really like the TM. It gives background information, summaries, discussion question helps, essay ideas, and the answers (hallelujah), etc. I'm finding it worth the money. I don't know how long it will be for revisions but they are definitely going to revise the tests (thank goodness).

I would suggest going to a web site like Pink Monkey or other study guide web site, finding the Illiad, and looking at some of their suggestions for short-answer tests and thematic questions rather than the minute fact stuff that Memoria seems to focus on. Is your kid getting the BIG picture and learning to do some analysis; that's what you want to know. A few factoid questions do help determine whether they've done the readings, though.

I agree with you, which is why the test I wrote for her is primarily essay-based. I've read the Iliad and Odyssey and have a fairly good grip on the subject material. I definitely hope the revised tests reflect a deeper interaction with the themes of Homer.