Menu

Not the same ol' breakfasts

Mom-ninja.

Now that I'm diligently making menu plans for each week I've been trying to do more creative breakfast and lunch meals.

Here's what we had today. I always adapt a bit to fit my family. I made this with quinoa instead of oatmeal, and for my ds allergic to quinoa I made his with buckwheat. I also left the banana out of his because he can't eat raw banana. So he had blueberries and raspberries. I was going to use millet but had a bunch of leftover quinoa and buckwheat from dinner.

Anyway, it was really really good. I'd never pureed frozen banana before, but I've seen it mentioned as a dairy free "ice cream" and it's true. The frozen banana with berries did taste like ice cream. So this was a great breakfast. :hurray:

My kids loved the parfait glasses. It just made breakfast that much more appealing. :)

This is planned for later this week. My allergy ds will simply have a smoothie that day instead. 

I don't have links for the rest of breakfast but we'll have:

Melon Cups which is simply cut up melons (any you want), with yogurt, and something crunchy sprinkled on top like crushed cereal, granola, nuts, etc.

Sweet Potato pancakes with cream cheese syrup.

Chicken and fruit salad (cut up chicken with any fruit you want along with celery and perhaps some nuts for those not allergic). I'll serve this with a honey mustard for dipping.

And then good old breakfast burritos filled with eggs, cheese, and sausage for who wants it. I use corn tortillas since we don't eat gluten. I don't think I feel like making tortillas this week so buying corn tortillas is the lazy way out. :lol:

So do you have any fun, different, yummy breakfasts?

I saw a picture posted on FB of a dish that would be great for a breakfast buffet, but would also work for families. It involved using hash browns pressed into a muffin tin and baked, then filled with scrambled eggs. There are all kinds of variations you can make, including adding bacon or ham or sausage to the scrambled eggs. This isn't the one I saw, but it's similar:

http://spoonful.com/recipes/scrambled-egg-nests

I keep cream cheese crepes in the refrigerator for dd15. She also eats ham/cheese/avocado flour tortilla wraps. The only interesting thing I eat is cinnamon toast and cheese toast.

Do you make the crepes? My ds loves making them and he's good at it.

We don't eat much bread/toast here. I think I bake or buy a loaf once a month....if that. Probably less than that. Just too expensive so we've adapted to eat very little bread.

Crepes we make about once a month. Yum.

We love:

• Swedish Pancakes - very similar to crepes
  • Steel cut oatmeal - make it the night before, let it sit on the stove all night soaking, and then reheat in the morning
  • PB&J - DD's favorite
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts - my favorite
  • Fried egg sandwich
  • Omelet

I sometimes make pizza with egg crusts for myself and dd8. I take 2-3 eggs and beat them lightly with a little salt. I put a little butter or margarine in a nonstick frying pan so it is really slippery( It also helps if the sides of the pan slope). I heat to medium/medium high and then add the eggs. When all but the top is done I flip the eggs and add spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese to the top of the cooked eggs. I turn down the heat to medium low and cook until the cheese melts. Then I carefully slide the pizza off onto a plate.

There was a thread here recently about what to do with a bajillion pounds of zucchini, and someone linked to a recipe for chocolate zucchini muffins.  I haven't tried them yet (I just feel too silly running the oven and the AC at the same time!), but I'll bet they'd be fun for breakfast!

I know you're GF, but maybe you'll see a way to modify the recipe.  Searching for "zucchini" ought to bring up the thread.

Here's what we had today. I always adapt a bit to fit my family. I made this with quinoa instead of oatmeal, and for my ds allergic to quinoa I made his with buckwheat. I also left the banana out of his because he can't eat raw banana. So he had blueberries and raspberries. I was going to use millet but had a bunch of leftover quinoa and buckwheat from dinner.

Similar idea, and my kids love these: Refrigerator Oatmeal

Line a muffin tin (as many cups as you want) with thin slices of ham (spray tin first w/oil), then crack in an egg or two, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 350 under the eggs reach desired doneness. I add a little cheese, or chopped spinach, or steamed chopped broccoli too.

These Breakfast Potato Skins look really good.

My kids love this grain free Dutch Baby recipe.

Now that I'm diligently making menu plans for each week I've been trying to do more creative breakfast and lunch meals.

Anyway, it was really really good. I'd never pureed frozen banana before, but I've seen it mentioned as a dairy free "ice cream" and it's true. The frozen banana with berries did taste like ice cream. So this was a great breakfast. :hurray:

My kids loved the parfait glasses. It just made breakfast that much more appealing. :)

This is planned for later this week. My allergy ds will simply have a smoothie that day instead.

I don't have links for the rest of breakfast but we'll have:

Melon Cups which is simply cut up melons (any you want), with yogurt, and something crunchy sprinkled on top like crushed cereal, granola, nuts, etc.

Sweet Potato pancakes with cream cheese syrup.

Chicken and fruit salad (cut up chicken with any fruit you want along with celery and perhaps some nuts for those not allergic). I'll serve this with a honey mustard for dipping.

And then good old breakfast burritos filled with eggs, cheese, and sausage for who wants it. I use corn tortillas since we don't eat gluten. I don't think I feel like making tortillas this week so buying corn tortillas is the lazy way out. :lol:

So do you have any fun, different, yummy breakfasts?

I'm never making breakfast again.

I'm just going to show up at your house every morning. :D

I try to make a homemade breakfast most weekdays during the school year. I tend to alternate with fruity baked oatmeals, overnight crockpot steel cut oats, cream of wheat, egg dishes, whole wheat muffins (with fruits or veggies- apples, carrots, zucchini, blueberry, etc), whole wheat breakfast cookies, pancakes, palasinki (basically like crepes), etc. I used to use oat flour, spelt and kamut flours for my baking as I don't like wheat but my ds has a peanut allergy and my only affordable choice isn't peanut free (Bulk Barn). Less often I make fresh bread with a fresh fruit spread or cinnamon rolls.

Now I feel guilty. We eat cereal or eggs or French toast in a Pan {gf bread with eggs, sugar and milk beaten until smooth then baked.}. My kids are not big breakfast eaters and neither am I.

Oh, Here is the recipe. I sort of make it up. It is basically bread pudding made smooth for my texture sensitive guy {Son 1}.

1 loaf Sami's Bakery cinnamon raison bread {you could use plain or whatever you have. it is a 1 lb loaf.}

10-12 eggs 

1/2 cup 'milk' {we use almond}

1 TBLS real vanilla extract

1 cup sugar {we are bad. we like sugar.}

Beat everything in a LARGE bowl using a hand mixer until smooth {it will look like cake batter} then pour into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 {I actually use the bottom of a roasting pan. It cooks faster}. If it looks too dry, add more milk. Bake at 350 for 25-30 mins or until golden brown and knife comes out clean. Cool and serve with maple syrup.

I tried this with a loaf of regular wheat raison bread and it never cooked. Go figure!

I try to make a homemade breakfast most weekdays during the school year. I tend to alternate with fruity baked oatmeals, overnight crockpot steel cut oats, cream of wheat, egg dishes, whole wheat muffins (with fruits or veggies- apples, carrots, zucchini, blueberry, etc), whole wheat breakfast cookies, pancakes, palasinki (basically like crepes), etc. I used to use oat flour, spelt and kamut flours for my baking as I don't like wheat but my ds has a peanut allergy and my only affordable choice isn't peanut free (Bulk Barn). Less often I make fresh bread with a fresh fruit spread or cinnamon rolls.

We do muffins a lot too! My kids love them, and with some fresh fruit and yogurt on the side, it's a great (and easy) breakfast! I tend to make things on weekdays that can sit a little or that lend themselves well to reheating as I work mornings outside the home. On weekends I make the fun stuff - Dutch babies, waffles, etc., and I bake up muffins, and so forth, for the week ahead.

For grain free people, here's a great muffin recipe a friend gave me:

Grain-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free Muffins

3 cups almond flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp coconut oil

3 large eggs

2-3 large bananas

1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries

1/2 - 3/4 cup crushed walnuts

1-2 tbsp cinnamon

1/2 tbsp nutmeg

pinches (as you like it, use your nose) of cardamon

Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, then mix together, and divide evenly in greased muffin tin. 350 for 35-40 min for normal sized muffins or you do the mini muffin tins at 365 for approx 25 min.

I love this thread. I'm currently revamping my breakfast word document. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day to prepare. It's when I have the most energy. Recently, however, we've been in a bit of a breakfast rut and I'm having fun organizing and coming up with new ideas. This thread is great. :)

Similar idea, and my kids love these: Refrigerator Oatmeal

These look really good. My only drawback would be needing those mason jars. Can't get them here. The recipes on the bottom of the page look great also. 

Now I feel guilty. We eat cereal or eggs or French toast in a Pan {gf bread with eggs, sugar and milk beaten until smooth then baked.}. My kids are not big breakfast eaters and neither am I.

No, no, no, no, no.... You shouldn't feel bad.  

You know what my kids eat for breakfast?  Let's see... cereal.  Almost every day.  :glare:  Every time I try to think of a way to get out of the habit, I can't find anything else they will eat.  

On rare occasions they don't eat cereal, they eat (premade) pancakes or waffles, pop tarts (and cereal, usually), donuts (and cereal, usually)... yeah.  We are really REALLY bad about breakfasts.  :(

It doesn't help that I HATE breakfast.  I'm usually not hungry and have no desire to eat anything.  This morning (and many of the mornings I run) I was actually hungry, and poured myself a bowl of Kix only to find that the kids had left the bag open a little too long and it was stale.  So two bites later there was just no way.... :ack2:

Sigh... 

Anyway, I've pinned like 3-4 of the recipes people have linked here.  :D  The kids are all starving in the morning, and I'd LOVE for them to eat something besides cereal (plus I know cereal is just not good for them) but I have a really hard time finding anything.  (AAnnnddd it also doesn't help that I'm not a morning person lol... most mornings they either get it themselves, or, if DH is home, he gets up earlier than me and gets it for them...)

One of our favorites is apple pancakes. I grate apples and then squeeze out the juice- the kids drink it for breakfast. Next I add eggs, almond flour, cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt. I use about 1 egg for each 2 apples I use. Generally I do about 6 -7 lrg apples and 3-4 eggs and 1/2 c. almond meal. I just play around with the ratios until it looks right. I use the 1/3 cup to scoop and then I patty it in my hand- like a burger. I usually save these for the weekends though as they take a bit to make and dh loves them

I've made the gf dutch apple babies several times and they are good as well.

One out of the box thing I've been eating was posted on here a while back:

chopped fresh pear topped w/ toasted walnut and coconut and a bit of coconut cream- oh and a small sprinkle of salt. 1/2 pear usually does me pretty good.

I like fried or scrambled eggs w/ sweet potato hashbrown and bacon.

I love elana's pantry paleo bread but I don't make it often, it is delicious with butter and jam. The kids love it or other gf bread w/ pb and jelly.

OH, the kids love *favorite rice*. When I have leftover rice from supper I make this the next morning. I add a bunch of milk(almond or coconut), a healthy dose of cinnamon and some kind of sweetener(honey, maple syrup or brown sugar). It is too much sugar for me but the kids love it.

Yes, the day I decided to cook rice in milk to make rice puddingish type of thing was the day I realized that my internal timer that lets me bake cookies without a timer does not function at 7 AM.  Burned rice and milk stuck to a pan is difficult to remove.  I like casseroles  :001_smile: and that cold oatmeal recipe. I can make them at night when I am awake.  :o

I love this thread. I'm currently revamping my breakfast word document. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day to prepare. It's when I have the most energy. Recently, however, we've been in a bit of a breakfast rut and I'm having fun organizing and coming up with new ideas. This thread is great. :)

These look really good. My only drawback would be needing those mason jars. Can't get them here. The recipes on the bottom of the page look great also. 

Truthfully I just use Tupperware type containers.

My kids love "Kid Quiche"

36 tater tots

12 eggs, scrambled

a few Tablespoons of milk

salt and pepper

bacon or sausage, cooked(or no meat at all for us usually)

shredded cheese(cheddar,colby, really whatever)

Preheat to 375 deg. Spray a reg size muffin tray.  Place 3 tots in each cup.  Scramble eggs with milk, salt, pepper.  Add meat to cups(just a teaspoon in each or so).  pour eggs in each cup 2/3 full.  Top with cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool 5 min in pan.

My kids love "Kid Quiche"

36 tater tots

12 eggs, scrambled

a few Tablespoons of milk

salt and pepper

bacon or sausage, cooked(or no meat at all for us usually)

shredded cheese(cheddar,colby, really whatever)

Preheat to 375 deg. Spray a reg size muffin tray.  Place 3 tots in each cup.  Scramble eggs with milk, salt, pepper.  Add meat to cups(just a teaspoon in each or so).  pour eggs in each cup 2/3 full.  Top with cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool 5 min in pan.

I recently found sweet potato puffs aka tater tots. My kids love them and they would be perfect for this recipe.

Dd used to have cereal every morning. This year I started meal planning, and I LOVE it. And by Love it, I mean hate meal planning, hate grocery shopping, hate cleaning up the extra mess from home cooked meals 3x a day... but love cooking food that my family enjoys.

We have biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon & toast, or French toast (the new favorite, I've made it every morning... We just finished eating it, actually.) Cinnabon rice krispies, strawberry donuts, muffins.. Pinterest is great for breakfast ideas... and lunch ideas.... and dinner ideas...

I made something new this morning:  Banana scones with browned butter glaze.  They use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour.  The texture was a bit different from my usual scones because of the whole wheat, but all in all they were fantastic!  So it's something different to make in order to use up those bananas that are a little too ripe for eating plain.  I might throw in a handful of chocolate chips next time.

I saw a picture posted on FB of a dish that would be great for a breakfast buffet, but would also work for families. It involved using hash browns pressed into a muffin tin and baked, then filled with scrambled eggs. There are all kinds of variations you can make, including adding bacon or ham or sausage to the scrambled eggs. This isn't the one I saw, but it's similar:

http://spoonful.com/recipes/scrambled-egg-nests

I made these, or a variation thereof, this morning. Hoping the kids liked them!

I made something new this morning:  Banana scones with browned butter glaze.  They use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour.  The texture was a bit different from my usual scones because of the whole wheat, but all in all they were fantastic!  So it's something different to make in order to use up those bananas that are a little too ripe for eating plain.  I might throw in a handful of chocolate chips next time.

Recipe please?

I tried quinoa for breakfast for the first time today. While it was cooking I chopped some apple and sauteed it with butter and added some cinnamon. When it was nice and soft I added it to the cooked quinoa with some brown sugar and a little milk. I think I read this on Weight Watchers. It was delicious! Next time I may add some dried cranberries or raisins, or some cinnamon sugar walnuts that I have sitting in my cabinet. 

My kids are odd in that they don't like traditional breakfast foods. They will eat cereal very rarely, one doesn't likes eggs, and they aren't crazy about oatmeal, waffles, pancakes...they will eat them, but not very often.

Today we had bagels with butter, Munster cheese, sliced tomatoes (with olive oil and salt), and sliced avocado (with lemon and salt).

I found it searching on Google :)  That's my best recipe book.

http://www.annies-eats.com/2013/03/22/banana-scones-with-browned-butter-glaze/

Thanks! Can't wait to try these now that we have an oven again after 4 long months without!

I have always wondered this, but never took the time to figure it out....but what is quinoa??  What it is sort like? oatmeal?

What is quinoa? To me, it is more like a cross between couscous and rice than oatmeal.

Now why have I never thought of making eggs like that in a muffin tin?! My kids will love these with melted cheddar.

I can even bake some grain bread buns for dh to premake these for him.

I made them yesterday and everyone loved them. Super-easy and quite quick. Thought of you of course.  :grouphug:

nm

BANANA YOGURT PANCAKES

1 cup flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 large eggs - room temperature - yolks and whites separated

1 cup plain yogurt

1 tbsp honey

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana

1 stick melted butter

Whisk dry ingredients together in medium bowl.

Mix wet ingredients

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients

My PANCAKE TIPS - I do this for waffles, muffins, etc. also

Eggs should ideally be at room temperature. Separate the yolk and white. I beat the eggs as much as possible. This helps to make fluffy pancakes and add them in at the very end. 

When mixing count to about 15 seconds or so and then stop. Over-beating will wreck even the best pancake recipe. You want some lumps.

I made banana muffins yesterday. I'll try the egg trick. Of course this means I'd have to remember to take the eggs out so they get to room temp.

A benefit to gluten free batter/dough is that one cannot ruin it by over beating. :hurray:

OH, one I like is caveman crunch. It is a very versatile recipe. It is a paleo granola, I use whatever combo of nuts and seeds that I have and want. I made some this weekend and upped the cocoa to 1/3 cup and it was really good :)

Caveman Crunch

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/caveman-crunch/

Ingredients

1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds

1 cup almond meal

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

2 cups almonds chopped or slivered

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

1/2 cup 100% raw organic honey

1 tsp vanilla

2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder

cinnamon to taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well

In a separate bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients

Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds to help it mix better

Once warm, pour your wet ingredients over your dry seed and nut mixture and mix well with a fork to ensure you coat everything

Place your mixture on a foil lined baking sheet and spread thin and evenly

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes

Remove from the oven and stir around to ensure nothing burns, I put it back in the bowl and then respread it on the baking sheet

Place back in the oven for 5 minutes

Remove and let cool, it tastes better cold and also develops its crunchiness as it cools

Serve in a bowl with some almond milk or coconut milk and enjoy