Menu

Grammar/Language/Writing for older beginning kids?

Hi,

Langauge (Grammar and Writing) has been our weakness, probably because it is my weakness.  We have not done a lot of formal anything and I have a 6th grader that I need to get going with.   Since it is something I feel "weak" in what is a good "self-teaching" grammar/writing program?

I have considered:

Hake

Essentials in Writing

Analytical Grammar (they have teaching DVD's now)

Switched on Schoolhouse....

Please let me know what you think.  I have also considered IEW SWI for writing but would really love a combined program if possible, that may not work so...

I also have an 8th grader that has struggled with this area, really hates writing at all and we need to step up his skills heading into High School.

Kim

Easy Grammar and Writing Strands. Throw in Easy Writing for good measure (it provides practice in writing sentences with a variety of sentence structures; it is a supplement, not a primary). These are not "self-teaching;"  however, neither are they difficult to teach. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat with an older child.   I did alot of research and decided to go with Analytical Grammar ( the DVD's are a must have IMO ) and IEW ( which also has DVD's).

The beauty of AG is that you can use it for the next 3 years so it will cover all of middle school and go into high school and is a nice savings.

As someone suggested on here, We are going to work on AG and spelling First and only after we are Done with that will we start on IEW

The first year teaching AG ( Season One ) is designed to last 10 weeks.  I decided to stretch that to an even 12 weeks or 3 months.

So first 3 months of school is working on grammar and spelling, the last 6 months we will be working on writing.

That took the pressure off, to be trying to study both of these at the same time was a little daunting.  And it made sense to work on the grammar before we started using it in the writing. 

I was also thinking AG w/ IEW SWI B.  We are doing sequential spelling.  I worry that AG will be "too much" as far as diagramming etc... He is not going to major in English, for sure, he wants to be a police officer or he wants to go into the military.  Now..in saying that..I KNOW grammar and writing are important, I want him to be effective in communicating etc..etc..

Well, my daughter was in public school through 5th grade, and I would not call anything they did there a writing program.  It technically is the next stage after Writing With Ease, but I don't think it's too much of an issue if you haven't done WWE.  WWS is pretty straight forward and written to the student.  My daughter was amazed at how it told her exactly what to do.  I'm not sure how she will feel about that by the end of the year, but as of right now, she is digging it because it leaves little room for misunderstandings or misinterpretation.