Menu

X-post: Barton's vs LOE

I have used Barton's for a few years with my 13 year old. I went through level 1 and 2 with my 8 year old and he is doing ok with it. However, I have been using LOE Essentials with two of my other children and just discovered Foundations. I was thinking of switching the 8 year old to LOE and have him go through Foundations A-D, then Essentials. I have the teacher's books for A & B and looked through them today. I really like what I have seen, yet I don't know if I should stay with Barton's or not. I know Barton's works and is very thorough but I sure could use a change of pace too! I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

LOE Foundations makes a sudden shift in pacing by about lesson 20.  For a child who requires slow, systematic instruction, LOE may become too fast rather quickly.  Be prepared to modify.  LOE Foundations introduces consonant blends early on, which may be a problem as well.  Last week around lesson 26, DD was sounding out and reading words like snap and stomp.  

LOE Foundations makes a sudden shift in pacing by about lesson 20.  For a child who requires slow, systematic instruction, LOE may become too fast rather quickly.  Be prepared to modify.  LOE Foundations introduces consonant blends early on, which may be a problem as well.  Last week around lesson 26, DD was sounding out and reading words like snap and stomp.  

Thank you for the info.

I went to Abecedarian Level B after my son had his phonemic awareness skills come together. It was a good fit for him. It is simple and clear. I have seen people say their kids memorize -- my son is not a memorizer at all. It took a while for his fluency to come together and it is still developing, but I am pleased with how he is doing. Since Level B I have not used a formal program, just worked on fluency.

He is in 3rd grade this year and he is doing well. If he needs a formal reading program again I will do one again.

But for him -- bc he had basic phonemic awareness skills when he was about 6 1/2, he was "caught up" when he was 7 and is making steady progress with no need to "catch up" again. But I am watching to make sure that continues -- he may need a formal program again.

Anyway I had a good experience with Abecedarian Level B. It teaches more phonograms but only gets a little into 2-syllable words. It got him to 2nd-grade-level decoding and then he has spent a year at this point on fluency. He can read multi-syllable words in context.

I agree that if you need a change of pace, do so.  If you are both burned out on a system, then that system, no matter how great, may not work for you anymore. 

That being said, I actually was fairly burned out on Barton, too, until a little while back.  I started looking for other options and asked someone who tutors in another state if they had suggestions.  They sent me a criterion referenced spelling test to see where she was in spelling.   My daughter agreed to take the test without any fear or trepidation as she once would have had, and even though she had not seen the list ahead of time and before we started Barton spelling was a NIGHTMARE for her, she went into the test with a lot of confidence.  She used strategies she had learned from Barton and focused on the words carefully, double-checking her spelling (something she never used to do because she knew she didn't understand spelling at all...why check?).  She got a 100, and felt so good afterwards, she ASKED to do anther Barton lesson.  Since then, our pace has picked up and she really has more confidence.  It has made all the difference.

Not sure I helped but good luck!

I agree that if you need a change of pace, do so.  If you are both burned out on a system, then that system, no matter how great, may not work for you anymore. 

That being said, I actually was fairly burned out on Barton, too, until a little while back.  I started looking for other options and asked someone who tutors in another state if they had suggestions.  They sent me a criterion referenced spelling test to see where she was in spelling.   My daughter agreed to take the test without any fear or trepidation as she once would have had, and even though she had not seen the list ahead of time and before we started Barton spelling was a NIGHTMARE for her, she went into the test with a lot of confidence.  She used strategies she had learned from Barton and focused on the words carefully, double-checking her spelling (something she never used to do because she knew she didn't understand spelling at all...why check?).  She got a 100, and felt so good afterwards, she ASKED to do anther Barton lesson.  Since then, our pace has picked up and she really has more confidence.  It has made all the difference.

Not sure I helped but good luck!

Thank you! That is very encouraging!