Menu

Yucky cookies

Night Elf

Do you know how disappointing that is? I followed the recipe on the Nestles Toll House Chocolate Chips bag. I thought i was supposed to get ooey gooey cookies. Instead they were like bread. So I figured I flubbed something up and tried again the next day. Nope, same thing. I even tried changing butters. The first batch I used margarine. The second batch I used real butter. It didn't make a difference. I'm assuming it was something in the dry ingredients? I worried I messed up the baking soda but was extremely careful in measuring everything out the second time around. Ugh. I'm going back to just baking cupcakes.

Too much flour can also make it bread like. Flour measurements are all about density/settling too. Flour that has been sitting around awhile will settle to almost double the weight per volume and you can easily add too much. Likewise, just sifted flour will be much less weight per volume and you may end up adding too little. Rather than think about it though, I use texture as my guide when baking cookies. If the recipe calls for 2 cups, I add the first cup and mix. Then measure out the second cup but only add small amounts and mix to a texture that just begins to not stick to my fingers. Too sticky = flat. Not sticky at all = bread-y/dry. I like to have just a little stick to my fingertips when rolling and they usually come out perfect.

This website has an image on the bottom that talks about what went wrong with each cookie (http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php). It's also got a good tutorial/recpe for chocolate chip cookies. :0) I love that they include weight measurements. Ever since I started bread baking, I find I much prefer to go by weight - less chance for error that way.

ETA: Here's another troubleshooting/experimenting one http://www.handletheheat.com/2013/07/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

This website has an image on the bottom that talks about what went wrong with each cookie (http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php). It's also got a good tutorial/recpe for chocolate chip cookies. :0) I love that they include weight measurements. Ever since I started bread baking, I find I much prefer to go by weight - less chance for error that way.

ETA: Here's another troubleshooting/experimenting one http://www.handletheheat.com/2013/07/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

The first link you posted showed adding the chocolate chips before the flour. WHy didn't I ever think of that?  Thanks for the link!

I agree with the flour thing. 

Its easy to impact the flour and therefore add too much of it. Too much flour makes a 'cakey' cookie, not enough flour makes a flat one. Do you stir the flour to aerate it? Add the flour by spoonfulls to the measuring cup? That's the accepted way to do it. If you dip the whole cup in the flour container you push it down and add more than necessary. 

A lot of people get around this by weighing the ingredients. If I'm in a hurry I stir the flour and dip the cup but I leave a good centimeter between the flour and the top (and I remind myself that I'm being lazy and get what I get). Usually it turns out okay...if it doesn't I make a notation and am more careful with that recipe in the future. 

That's a great link!  #4 at the bottom also looks like a cookie made with all butter -- they tend to spread out and get really crisp.  So do cookies made with all coconut oil.  I like to use a combo of butter and oil (I'm counting Crisco as an oil) just like they do (Maybe that's why I like the site -- they agree with me.  Although I think it would drive me whacko to add the chips before the flour due to texture issues while beating.  Then again, I prefer fewer chips in my cookies anyway. Plus I generally eat a bunch of the dough before I add the chips).

Over beating after adding the flour will also make the cookie tougher.

I remember reading something once about the science of blending the sugar with the fat before adding the flour -- why that's so important.  

MMmmmm, I sort of want to go make some dough now......  all in the name of science, of course!

It can also be cakey if you overmix the flour into the mix.  I hate that recipe, fwiw.  The New York Times Chocolate Chip cookie is by far the best recipe.  It's all we use now.  And never use margarine.  The consistency will be different and it's not very healthy for you.  I would stick with butter for the best taste and texture unless you have an allergy.  If you do have an allergy, Non-hydrogenated palm shortening or Earth Balance would be good alternatives, but they will be a bit different than with butter. 

I have never had an issue with the toll house recipe but I haven't made that recipe in years. I usually make the neiman marcus cookie recipe (

Although I don't bother grating a chocolate bar into it.  I have made it with and without the grated chocolate and they taste the same to me.