Menu

Reader Response Paper vs Literary Analysis Essay

I am looking for some very clear cut differences between these 2.  I think I understand the difference, but just want to hear others' thoughts. 

For his first reader response paper, my ds has decided to compare the revenge provocation and tactics from Wuthering Heights and The Count of Monte Cristo.  It seems to me that this is really literary analysis, but then he wrote the following intro paragraph that made it seem more reader response-ish. Can this topic go either way? Does it really just depends on how you write it?

What is revenge? Why do people seek it? Does it make them feel better? In Wuthering Heights Heathcliff seeks revenge because his one-true love marries another believing him below her. Heathcliff then manipulates the emotions of every character in the book, using guilt, anger, degredation, control, and power. After reading Wuthering Heights, I immediately thought of how Heathcliff's revenge seemed very evil in contrast to another book I read, The Count of Monte Cristo. In it, three men team together to put The Count in prison to gain his money, to woo his fiancee, and to silence him. When The Count escapes, he seeks revenge by ruining one financially, destroying the other's marriage, and taking away the last man's power and influence. I was left wondering, what was it was about Heathcliff that made him appear evil and The Count justified? Was it Heathcliff's motives or his techiques?

So I am looking for 2 different things.

1) specifically what differentiates these two types of writing

2) could ds's essay be written either way?  And if so, what must be included in one or excluded in the other?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Tullia's posts in this past thread go into detail about college course response papers: More about response papers and their context. Also: I liked this teacher's summary of what a reader response IS -- and what it is NOT.

Totally my opinion, with nothing to back this up ;) -- BUT... I see a lot of overlap in the two, but with the following differences:

a reader response is

- much shorter (only 1-5 paragraphs or so long, focus on just one or just a few thoughts)

- more informal (may be written in first person; may include personal likes/dislikes, opinions, what you noticed, your reaction; informal language; not every point formally backed up with examples)

- initial impressions / may be written in-the-midst of reading / may focus on small details that stood out

- perhaps most like some of your initial thoughts and annotations written up into paragraph form

a literary analysis essay is

- longer (multi-page)

- more formal (written in third person; formal, structured paper; all points backed up with examples; citations)

- includes how literary elements are at work to support the author's themes/intent, or your contention and analytical reading of the work

- post-reading paper, with much thought, analyzes the work as a whole, researched to understand the background of the author / times

- perhaps most like a formal work of criticism

Neither are summaries of the story, though include just enough of the specific scene being used as an example to make the scene clear to the reader. Both types of writing include specific examples from the work to support the writer's contention. Both discuss what deeper themes, purposes, and literary elements were seen in the work -- the reader response usually in response to a teacher-posed question or writing out the reader's reactions, and the literary analysis in terms of research, formal thought and support, with an almost science-lab type of conclusion.

Specifically re: your DS's paper: I totally agree with you:

This is a literary analysis topic: "to compare the revenge provocation and tactics from Wuthering Heights and The Count of Monte Cristo"

This is a reader response is writing style, tone, and approach to a teacher-posed question: "After reading Wuthering Heights, I immediately thought of how Heathcliff's revenge seemed very evil in contrast to another book I read, The Count of Monte Cristo."

Just my 2 cents of babbling...  :tongue_smilie: Any minute now, someone else will post a wonderfully concise explanation / definition of each... ;)

Thanks Lori!

Just to clarify, this is only the first paragraph of his essay.

After doing some research, this is what I have typed up as to the difference -- to get people thinking....

Literary analysis vs Personal response

Literary analysis

What is it? An analysis of how the author achieves an effect. An argument supported with proof.

Elements to analyze

Characterization – analysis of how you can tell xxxx about a character

dialogue – analysis of impact on characterization

imagery – analysis of the development of imagery

mood – analysis of how author achieved mood

plot point of view – analysis of impact of PoV

setting – analysis of how it affects theme, characters, conflict, mood

theme – analysis of the evidence supporting the theme

Argue your thesis and give support for ideas from

1) this book or article

2) another book or article

3) reasoning – explain why you think that way

Response Paper

What is it? An explanation of your own reactions and why you reacted that way.

Questions to ask yourself

1) What do you think about the ideas in the article/book? Do you agree or disagree? Why? You can also expand beyond the author's point if you wish.

2) How do the ideas in the article/book relate to your own experience?

3) How do the ideas relate to other things you have read?

4)What do you notice about the way the article/book was written? What about the way it is written that makes it more or less persuasive?

5) Explain your reaction and analyze how the writer's style, tone, word choice, or examples made you feel that way.

Argue your thesis and give support for ideas from

1) your personal experience

2) your own thinking and reading

3) common experience

4) another book

5) this book or article

6) reasoning – explain why you think that way