Menu

Ds #2 is a grown-up today (this post is not for the squeamish)

Halftime Hope

pick either of the two reasons below:

1) today was his new student orientation at community college, or

2) when he got home, we were talking in the kitchen. I was in the pantry and our little dog was flipping out (which she does frequently) so I was ignoring her, when ds suddenly yells, "Why is there a snake in the kitchen?"  Sure enough, a critter was inching its way along the bottom lip/edge of the kitchen cabinets, an inch off the floor. Ds ran to let the dogs out the back door to get them out of harm's way, and I ran for the garage for the machete, worrying that the snake would disappear into the cabinet base before I could get back.  He came in with the hoe and a flat blade shovel and started whacking.  I had him pin the thing after he had done some serious damage, while I got the critter's head up on a rug and then decapitated it with a sharp butcher knife.

I raised the boy right:  any critter inside my house, innocuous or not, is an uninvited visitor.  If there is any chance this could become a habitual visitor, it is dispatched with extreme prejudice.

Wanna see it?   (Far, far below.)

You have to click on the link (I think) so I'm not gratuitously freaking out those who don't go there of their own choice.

For those of you making frown faces and saying you wouldn't have killed it:   I found out *after* we had killed it that it was aTexas rat snake, measuring not quite 4 feet long.  It quickly moved down the length of the kitchen and had halfway disappeared into the base stand of the cabinet, *underneath* the cabinet into a gap it knew was there, meaning it would have had to come out again at some other time. Shudder!

I live in the smack middle of suburbia, not out in the woods somewhere.  Yes, that's a gallon milk jug in the picture for size comparison.  

It was hissing at the dog, and the snake was doing the tail-thumping thing that made it sound like a rattler.  I was pretty sure it wasn't a rattler, and I'm not saying we were afraid it was one, but I'm not apologetic at all for having killed it, because I have no desire to be surprised when it chose to come out again.  I also am not apologetic for having killed something that, if left alone living in the house, would be big enough to kill my smallest dog.  (Apparently these are constrictors.)

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae94/lonestar-momster/rsz_p1060667-Copy_zpsca0e646b.jpg

For those of you who might be second guessing why I labeled this as ds earning his "adult" badge today, it was because he was paying attention, he was clear-thinking, and he acted decisively.  He overcame his fear to do what needed to be done.  That's mature, adult behavior, and it has nothing to do with gender.  

I know the snake is just meat, too...  but I'm such a sissy that butcher knife would be in the trash, too. :leaving:   None of my girls would eat anything it touched, no matter how well sterilized it was.

And for the record, we treat spiders pretty much the same here.  If I ever meet one big enough to need a butcher knif, yes I will throw that knife away. :lol:

that butcher knife would be in the trash, too.

I hear you. I thought about that, too.

It's my favorite knife, though.  I'll soak it repeatedly (several days) in Basic-G, and I'll probably ask dh to sharpen it (on the grinding wheel) for good measure. 

I'm a bit hard-nosed like that:  I'm not going to give up my favorite knife to a snake.     <_<

Why didn't you warn a person before posting a link to that picture!? (Kidding kidding! :D) I tend to be a catch and release type, but I'm not sure that snake would have made it out of my house alive either. That thing is HUGE! Way to go DS. My kids would have been screaming on a chair for sure. Heck - I think my DH would have been too. ;)

Any snake in my house is a dead one.  Kill first, ask questions later.

I choose not to look at the picture b/c snakes completely freak me out, but I applaud your DS and award him high kudos for his quick thinking.

I once found a big black snake in my downstairs bathroom. I had been watching waaaaay too much Jeff Corwin with dd, so entertained thoughts of catching it with my bare hands. However, I knew dh would yell at me for being a bad example for dd if I got bit. So I put on my leather work gloves and grabbed it! Boy oh boy, do they let off a nasty odor when you grab them! I took my prize to show dh and dd, both of whom squealed and yelled at me to take it outside(now I know how the cat feels when we show such disdain for the trophies she leaves on the doorstep). So I took him out and let him go over the hill.

Moral of the story, be careful watching too many nature shows - you never know where they can lead an impressionable mind!

I'll be the odd ball out =p  poor baby  :lol:   we have 5 pet snakes boas and pythons so we are snake folks here.  One of our snakes was a visitor newborn garter whom we are taking care of till next summer then releasing back.  My biggest would be my red tail boa who will one day attain about 10 feet in length  :laugh:

:ack2:  I looked at the picture.

We have dealt with a lot of unwanted rattlesnakes outside of our home and in the garage, but never have I had anything like that creature in the house. I don't think I would have responded as well as you and your son. I am definitely in the camp of disposing of snakes that come inside uninvited!

What kind of homeschool mom are you? You were supposed to catch it alive, put it into an empty aquarium that you always have available for just such occasions, read all about the snake and how to care for it, and then observe it for awhile before releasing it outside.  :toetap05:

Any snake, or just specific endangered-type snakes?

A case where a 13 year old vs a garden snake

http://www.katu.com/news/3635326.html

A man killed a rattle snake in self defense.

http://www.wnd.com/2003/05/18600/

It's illegal in TN

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/may/11/just-sssstep-back/

Under other circumstances, I've let snakes go, including four or five that have been *in my house* in FL, except that there I've been able to transport them outside.  Under these circumstances, and not knowing what kind it was and seeing where it was going, I was of the "ask questions later" mindset.

I guess I won't ever live in OR or MI -- just a bit more proof that their legislatures have had no common sense.  (At least the TN legislature saw fit to put a provision in for a homeowner feeling threatened in their own home by a snake.) 

Oh, and by the way, I've lived a great deal of my life in areas with fer de lances, barba amarillas, coral snakes, and cotton mouths, so I understand reasonable avoidance of snakes that are both shy and very deadly (fer de lances are aggressive, but if you are tromping around out in the woods, you wear high leather boots.)  

I was going barefoot in my kitchen the last few days to keep cool, and I routinely get up in the dark at 2 am to let the elderly dog out.  I guess I can be consoled by the fact that she was the one flipping out--she probably wouldn't have let me step on a snake in my kitchen if she'd have smelled him first.

What kind of homeschool mom are you? You were supposed to catch it alive, put it into an empty aquarium that you always have available for just such occasions, read all about the snake and how to care for it, and then observe it for awhile before releasing it outside.  :toetap05:

Can I redeem myself if I tell you that I have it double bagged in two gallon Ziploc freezer bags and I have emails out to several homeschool groups in the area to see if anyone wants it for dissection?   It's currently in the coldest part of my fridge, with a note on the drawer warning the unsuspecting.

We dissected a snake several years ago, so no one in my family is interested.  Bummer! 

I can still remember the snake my mom killed on our slick waxed concrete floor in Venezuela when I was a child.  It was trying to make its escape on the same afternoon that men landed on the moon, but it was getting zero traction.  She and I dissected it that evening by the light of a hissing kerosene lamp.  I can still remember the wonder of a child feeling the slickness of the belly scales on that little snake, probably something like a garter snake.   My mom would have made a good homeschool mom--she was full of curiosity and wonder.

OMG it's in your fridge???? I would have to throw out the fridge! My DH wanted to put a container of earthworms in the fridge once and I just about divorced him. Needless to say, I'm not a snake fan. I would be the one running out of the house, refusing to step foot back in until someone killed it.

I have cute little imaginary signs posted around my property at snake eye level...NO TRESPASSING. Sheesh that goes triple for in the house.

I've killed rattlesnakes in my yard, but never one in the house. Oh MY!

Rats snakes act very aggressive...that's scary enough.

hillfarm says:

I once found a big black snake in my downstairs bathroom. I had been watching waaaaay too much Jeff Corwin with dd, so entertained thoughts of catching it with my bare hands. However, I knew dh would yell at me for being a bad example for dd if I got bit. So I put on my leather work gloves and grabbed it! Boy oh boy, do they let off a nasty odor when you grab them! I took my prize to show dh and dd, both of whom squealed and yelled at me to take it outside(now I know how the cat feels when we show such disdain for the trophies she leaves on the doorstep). So I took him out and let him go over the hill.

Moral of the story, be careful watching too many nature shows - you never know where they can lead an impressionable mind!

:lol:

The OP says:

I found out *after* we had killed it that it was aTexas rat snake, measuring not quite 4 feet long.

Y'all should have saved it for a wedding present!

The Naturalist at one of our field trips last year told about how in earlier days (in Iowa), rat snakes were prized possessions.  When one threw a rat snake into the corn crib, one could hear the rats screaming because the rats knew what a rat snake could do to them.  One women even received a rat snake for a wedding present from her sister, and she was mightily pleased with it (as a protector of the harvest). 

She could still mummify it :D

Our rule is that we don't mess around with "pattern" snakes, so I'd have done the same especially inside the house! I'll take a dead rat snake over a mis-identified rattler doing some damage while we pore over the snake ID card. Although we have a few benign patterned snakes, it's a pretty good rule of thumb for the most common ones in our area.

"Plain" snakes we assist whenever possible, and we have a couple of good sized ones resident in our yard. My husband is not fond of snakes (I had a pet boa at one time, and the kids think they're cool -- they rush to watch whenever one of them spots a snake out sunning itself by the front walk). I fear we'd be overrun by bunnies & frogs without them, not to mention the fruit rats. Even my husband far prefers snakes to rats!

I don't blame you one bit. I'd have killed it first then asked questions later.

Yup, that is the rule I have here in India.  We have all sorts of snakes in our neighborhood including Russel Vipers and Cobras.  Most are probably rat snakes...but I am not taking any chances!

We're in the "kill all snakes" camp around our farm.  It honestly wouldn't matter to me what state law said about it.  We have cats for rodent control.  I prefer cats.  We killed a number of snakes the first year or two after we moved here, but after that they appear to have gotten the message as we've only seen one snake in the past few years.  There are plenty of other places for them to live.

When we're out hiking we take an "observe" position.  We've seen Timber rattlers that were scarily camouflaged and a rat snake catching a mama mouse - then consuming her young.  We've seen a Lyre snake (in CA - had to take pics and look it up) too.  Those are all fairly neat experiences, but no experience with a snake around my place is a "neat experience."

I'd be pouring concrete or something in the crack you saw him trying to get back through! The worst we've had in our house are slugs, and let me tell you, I traced down the slime trails and made hubby plug those suckers with silicone and whatever else it took to make sure they don't come in again! Not sure I don't hate slugs worse than snakes though, lol.

I've changed my mind about wanting to visit Texas.   :scared:

I'm so sorry, OhE.  This is the first time in 21 years of living here that I've had one in the house.  We had far more critters that wanted to share the house in suburban Miami.

Come visit, but stay in a high rise hotel.  :coolgleamA:   There's a lot to enjoy, see, and do here.  And folks are friendly. Except to snakey visitors.

You've dissected before. This time, I'd try butchering and skinning it. You can cure the skin and eat the meat. I cured a snakeskin when I was 13 , after my little sisters brought home a snake they and a friend killed.

Honestly, though, with a rat snake that large turning up, I'd be worried that its prey may be too close for comfort. Have you checked your house, outbuildings, etc. For rodents?

In my 30+ years in the Houston area, we've only ever had 1 snack in the house. That one turned out to by a baby pet-type that our neighbor said was worth a lot of money. I told him he should have been there when it was alive and crawling in my living room.

DH and the boys laugh about my reaction. They have *never* heard me scream that much or that loud.  You've seen the cartoons of the women on the chair shrieking over a bitty mouse? Yeah, well, that's me and snakes in the house. 

Mice and rats don't bother me. We just set the cats loose and let them deal with the rodents.

Honestly, though, with a rat snake that large turning up, I'd be worried that its prey may be too close for comfort. Have you checked your house, outbuildings, etc. For rodents?

Agreed.  We had some a couple years back in a sheltered spot on the fence line--a good reason to eliminate that spot when we worked on the fence.  Although I haven't seen any telltale signs recently, I may put out some traps for good measure.

I really need to get my neighbors to clear some of their brush.  : (

Looks like a rat snake...probably came from underneath the house through a mouse/rat hole. Happens in these mountains all the time. You might want to check for signs of rodents and deal with them, or it could/will happen again. Now, doesn't that make you feel all warm and cozy?

Six foot king snake in our yard in the spring, neighbor said only good snake was a dead snake, and he and my son killed it. King snakes kill coppers and rattlers. And maybe the pocket gopher that is now destroying my yard. Saw a copperhead last spring. A friend saw a baby rattler in her backyard today. Baby means the nest is near, right?

Know your snakes!

I read that there are certain times that a rattler won't rattle before striking.

Saw a cottonmouth last week. I won't be swimming in that lake.

This is Texas.

At night we like to put the headlamps on our heads and look in the yard for the all the spiders whose eyes are twinkling back at us, all.over.the.yard.

Nice.

Six foot king snake in our yard in the spring, neighbor said only good snake was a dead snake, and he and my son killed it. King snakes kill coppers and rattlers. And maybe the pocket gopher that is now destroying my yard. Saw a copperhead last spring. A friend saw a baby rattler in her backyard today. Baby means the nest is near, right?

Know your snakes!

I read that there are certain times that a rattler won't rattle before striking.

Saw a cottonmouth last week. I won't be swimming in that lake.

This is Texas.

At night we like to put the headlamps on our heads and look in the yard for the all the spiders whose eyes are twinkling back at us, all.over.the.yard.

Nice.

Ugghh. Ack. I am obviously not a snake person. Spiders I can tolerate.