Menu

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

Colleen in NS

Susan,

I have a 5th grade dd who struggles with writing. She is actually back at the stage where it is difficult for her to put her thoughts into verbal words.

I know I can use the Writing with Ease by itself but I also know from past experience that I struggle with coming up with passages and comprehension questions to use. If I do just use the book, I will plan out the passages I want at the beginning of the year. However, the comprehension questions are the big question mark. Our history will facilitate narration nicely but it is a new area for me. So I am very nervous about how it is all going to turn out.

She can do copywork and slow dictation just fine but struggles with putting her thoughts into verbal words. Would using the level 2 workbook be too young?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

than the narration exercises in Workbook 2 would be very helpful for her. We'll be putting sample pages of that workbook up too, once it's typeset, so you might want to wait until then to evaluate whether it will be appropriate.

I'll be sure to post here when they're up...

Thanks. I was thinking starting back near the beginning would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that if I had any patience I could wait and find this out when I get the book but I have no patience LOL. I was looking at the Year 1 samples and I was wondering if you generally consider year 1 to be 1st grade or Kindergarten. The sentences in the sample are pretty complex and would be completely out of the question for my soon to be K'er so I was wondering. I know that all kids are different etc but if you consider that early K work then I should put more emphasis on writing than I'm currently doing. If it's early 1st grade, then I don't have to panic yet LOL.

Thanks

I'm considering using these together for our next school year. We have been

using R&S for grammar and WT 1 as a supplement. Next year will have a 4th grader, 3rd, and 6th. Which ones can I use it on if I decide to use it? I just wasn't for sure what grade levels they covered. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering this same thing. My dd8 will be able to read (comfortably) the sentences in Workbook 1 this coming fall. ( I make this assumption from the sample online.) The online Teacher guide mentions 1st grade lined paper. The sample for WK BK 1 looks like it uses 1st grade lined paper. My dd writes in cursive comfortably on regular lined paper.

My ds6 reads 3and 4 letter words quite fluently but can not at this time read the sample copy work sentences for WK BK 1. Does anyone know.....does SWB see benfit from having children copy from works far above reading level? I feel that the child gets bogged down in translating letters from one long word filled with letters to the next.

My "feelings" have nothing to do with what might be best :)

Thanks

cheryl

I am thinking about using FLL3 with my young third grader next year. Would it work to use Writing with Ease level 2 along side FLL3? I know it was written to use FLL2 with level 2 of Writing with Ease, but my dd is behind in writing. I have looked at the samples of FLL3, and I think she could handle FLL3. Is anyone else considering this?

Jan

as I am planning on using FLL3 next year with both my son, who will be in 2nd grade, and my daughter, who will be a 3rd grader. DD is about average on writing skills (but is a great narrator and does excellent copywork) and DS is above average in just about everything having to do with words. We have done a condensed year of FLL 1&2 with them this year and will move them both on to FLL3 in the fall. I'm not sure whether or not WWE 2 or 3 would be best for them...I'm unsure which to use as I think they could handle 3 but I don't want them to miss anything!

Would love any advice on this...

From what I understand WWE and FLL are separate, but you can use them at the same time by dropping the copywork/dictation from FLL and just using WWE for all your writing. I would imagine that would mean that you don't have to do the same level of FLL and WWE to make it work. Just my thoughts on the matter...

I have been wondering if i will be able to apply what i learn from WWE teacher book to our history/science lessons? Does she give that option in the book?? Or is it something that you have to do with the workbook???

I would rather my dc to do copywork/dictation/narration from chosen quotes and summaries out of books we are already reading that correlate with our studies KWIM?

Are the workbook just various and random quotes that the dc do copywork/narration/dicitation from??? Because I can do that from our hist/science books!:001_smile:

What else would be in the workbook?

I hope I make sense:001_huh:....

I am tired so I may not...lol

the workbook is optional. It has all the quotes, copywork, dictation all there for you. The teacher's manual/text provides the "how" so you can choose your own, KWIM? SWB actually recommended to me to just get the text at first to see how it would "fit" with my dc and at what level they'd be in. Yes, it's more work for you, but it sounds like you want to do your own thing so it would work very well. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ladies! Does anyone know what Peace Hill Press's copyright policy is on workbooks? I'm interested in using the WWE program and FLL 3 with my twin daughters, and I'm wondering if I would need to purchase 2 copies of both workbooks. (Yikes - expensive!)

My understanding is that with the SOTW activity guides you are allowed to make copies of student pages for additional children in your family, and I'm wondering if that is the case with this program as well - especially for WWE, since it is comparatively expensive for the workbook.

I do want to abide by all copyrights, though!

Thanks for any info!

April

I'm definitely using WWE with my 1st grader next fall, and would like to use it with my 3rd grader. However, I'm not sure if I should start with a program that won't have the next book out when he needs it. Or, should I just start with WT 1 for my 3rd grader, which was my choice before I heard about WWE. Thoughts?

Edited to add: I'm not talking about the workbooks, but the actual writing book - I believe the next book will be called Writing with Skill?

I would LOVE to get my hands on the next level, as well. I think Susan posted at some point that it won't be soon as she has to finish her history series for Norton first. WHIMPER!!

WWE goes through 4th grade (and possibly 5th for a dc who needs more time). I'm torn btwn. WT1 and WWE for my 3rd grader, too. I just love the samples of WT, love how it included grammar as well. I'm inclined to go with my gut. BUT, I will have WWE for my 2nd grader anyway...sooo I'm planning to do both, actually! Remember...I'm a curriculum junkie! :D Some WWE, most WT1 is my plan for 3rd. I know I'm not answering your question, sorry! I'm going to the NOVA Conf. in VA in July and SWB said she'd have the WWE books there so I'm going to look before I pre-order and see for myself.

BUT, I will have WWE for my 2nd grader anyway...sooo I'm planning to do both, actually!

That is my current plan as well. But, then I got to wondering if I should just stick with one program for both boys. If the next book isn't out though, in 2 years, then I think I'll probably go with WT 1. I do have Writing Tales 1 already, I just love what I've seen of WWE and really respect SWB's take on writing, so I wonder if I'm doing my older ds a dis-service to not use it with him too. KWIM? :)

that is why I want to do both! :D But, I am also drawn to WT. My ds9 (5th) will be doing WT2 next year and probably some of the 4th gr. lessons in WWE just b/c none of my dc have really done a bunch of dictation or copywork or even written narrations. Yes, we do narrations, but no consistently. Anyway, I don't think doing both would be bad. Different writing skills adressed, I think. Nice to have variety. I'm also torn btwn. FLL3 and R&S3...leaning toward FLL3 b/c of it's more gentle approach.

April,

You can absolutely copy the pages for your own family (only).

Sorry, guys, I came into this thread late and now it's really HUGE. What questions do you still need answers to?? Don't start a new thread, but if you could repost the questions that still bug you today, I'll do my best to answer.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I would like to start my 1st & 3rd graders with WWE next fall, but I know my 3rd grader will only use the book for 3rd and 4th. Do you make recommendations in the book as to what program you should use after WWE if the next book isn't out? Or, would I be better off to just start with a program, such as CW, that goes all the way through for my 3rd grader?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

We have completed FLL levels 1 & 2 and will be finished with FLL level 3 soon. I plan on beginning FLL level 4 in September. My dds have been composing letters to family and friends, completing book reports (for school,) and writing short stories during their free time. They love it write little children's books.

I am wondering if I should skip FLL Level 4 for my older dd and place her in a 5th grade program.

How would we use WWE? Would it be useful to us?:confused:

Gretchen

Question for SWB - Youroriginal posts about WWE indicated K - 4. I was looking at the Year 1 samples and I was wondering if you generally consider year 1 to be 1st grade or Kindergarten. The sentences in the sample are pretty complex and would be completely out of the question for my soon to be K'er so I was wondering. I know that all kids are different etc but if you consider that early K work then I should put more emphasis on writing than I'm currently doing. If it's early 1st grade, then I don't have to panic yet LOL.

Thanks

That is true. I guess i just didn't want to have to find my own examples. SIGH! Well, it is going to be too good to not use just for that silly reason!

Hi Susan,

I would like to start my 1st & 3rd graders with WWE next fall, but I know my 3rd grader will only use the book for 3rd and 4th. Do you make recommendations in the book as to what program you should use after WWE if the next book isn't out? Or, would I be better off to just start with a program, such as CW, that goes all the way through for my 3rd grader?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

Kathy,

If your third grader is still a reluctant writer, or a willing writer who struggles, I'd use WWE and then move on CW, Wordsmith, IEW, Writing Strands--all good programs, each with advantages and disadvantages. If the third grader writes fluently and easily, you probably don't need WWE.

Susan

We have completed FLL levels 1 & 2 and will be finished with FLL level 3 soon. I plan on beginning FLL level 4 in September. My dds have been composing letters to family and friends, completing book reports (for school,) and writing short stories during their free time. They love it write little children's books.

I am wondering if I should skip FLL Level 4 for my older dd and place her in a 5th grade program.

How would we use WWE? Would it be useful to us?:confused:

Gretchen

Gretchen,

I wouldn't skip FLL 4--it really does advance quite a bit beyond FLL3. It doesn't sound as though WWE is really necessary for you, though. It's very focused on laying a foundation for good expository writing, and it sounds to me as though your daughters are already fluent writers.

Susan

Question for SWB - Youroriginal posts about WWE indicated K - 4. I was looking at the Year 1 samples and I was wondering if you generally consider year 1 to be 1st grade or Kindergarten. The sentences in the sample are pretty complex and would be completely out of the question for my soon to be K'er so I was wondering. I know that all kids are different etc but if you consider that early K work then I should put more emphasis on writing than I'm currently doing. If it's early 1st grade, then I don't have to panic yet LOL.

Thanks

Heather,

1. Don't panic!

2. DEFINITELY first grade. NOT kindergarten. NO WAY. :001_smile:

Susan

Hi Susan,

I'd like to see a 4th Grade sample. My dss will be 3rd and 4th next year. Is there anyway you could put up a sample for upper elementary?

Also, when do you expect the Logic Stage book to be out?

Thank you much!

Susie

Susie,

Workbook 4 isn't finished yet, but we can put up an excerpt from Year 4 in the WWE main text.

I'll keep you posted about the Logic Stage book, but it will be a couple of years. CW, IEW, Wordsmith, Writing Strands--all have good aspects for logic stage writing.

Susan

I am in the grammar stage of homeschooling. :001_smile: (only 2nd year)--and still trying to figure out which educational philosophies make the most sense. Several of you strongly endorsed SWB's philosphy of writting.

What exactly is her philosophy? What makes it different and better than other writting curriculm that is out there?--Why can it be callled 'classical'? Feel free to direct me to books, articles, web sites to read etc. I've already read TWTM several times--maybe I missed something.

I've been using FLL this year--and wanted something else for my 8 year old's writting, but haven't found that piece yet--maybe WWE is it. Why are so many of you excited for it?

Thanks for your input,

Margaret

http://www.peacehillpress.com One of those samples is SWB explaining why other writing programs fail and why hers is different/better. Even if I tried to explain her thoughts, I'd never do it justice so I'm not gonna try! I think, though, in a nutshell she doesn't feel the need for grammar stage students to do any original writing and thinks that copying good literature, sentences from history or science or what-have-you and progressing to taking dictation from good sentences/paragraphs is sufficient for that stage. OH, and add to that narrations which get the child to explain in their own words what they've just heard. Again, I'm not doing her philosophy justice at.all. But, check out those samples!

Guest beckyhartlee

My daughter is 5 and she is reading three letter words. Her hand coordination is not completely where I would think it would be at this point. She has a hard time still forming letters correctly. We have been working loosley this year. We have completed the K Saxon math program already. I purchased the Ordinary Parents Guide To Reading and I am doing remedial work with my 3rd grader and am blowing through the first part of the book pretty quickly with my 5 year old. I also purchased FLL at convention and am wondering if I should wait to start my daughter on those lessons until half way through OPG. it seems that since most of the lessons are oral, it would be a piece fo cake for her to do. I am not thinking she is ready for the Writing With Ease book yet since she is still struggling with writing letters correctly on lined paper. Would it be better to wait and use the Writing With Ease along side the FLL. I don't want to hold her back, yet I don't wan to be in a rush either. She won't be 6 until February and is very different than all six of my other boys. I would have never considered starting them on FLL at 5 years of age.

I also have a question about my 8 year old. We are still working on reading fluency. He has been a very slow and labored reader. Since purchasing OPG, he has improved in his reading skills by leaps and bounds! I am hoping to finish the OPG this summer. He will be 9 by August and we technically have him as a third grader. I purchased the FLL 3 for him and he has never had the FLL 1 and 2. After looking at the content in level 3, there was no doubt in my mind he was ready for that level. As far at writing is concerned, I am not sure where to start though. He does not like to write and has not used a writing program yet. He has beautiful handwriiting, but complains when I give him a paragraph to copy. He is not a good speller, but is making great improvements since we started using All About Spelling. After looking at the examples of the Writing With Ease lessons level 1 and 2, it seemed as though they appeared they would be too easy for my almost 9 year old. He does pretty good writing from dictaion, yet he mispells words a lot. He is improving every day though! Where do I begin with a writing program for him? I own IEW's Structure and Style program, but I have not listened to it. I also am somewhat drawn to Writing Strands, but I still am not sure what level I would start my son at. Level one looks too easy, but level 2 might be the right one. We are getting ready to purchase Tapestry of Grace and a writing handbook comes wth the program. They say it is an excellent book, but I am not sure how thorough the writing instruction is. I would appreciate any wise advice you can give me. Thank you!

Becky Lee

My daughter is 5 and she is reading three letter words. Her hand coordination is not completely where I would think it would be at this point. She has a hard time still forming letters correctly.

This strikes me as very normal for a five-year-old, so you shouldn't necessarily factor this into your concerns as you plan for the future.

We have been working loosley this year. We have completed the K Saxon math program already. I purchased the Ordinary Parents Guide To Reading and I am doing remedial work with my 3rd grader and am blowing through the first part of the book pretty quickly with my 5 year old. I also purchased FLL at convention and am wondering if I should wait to start my daughter on those lessons until half way through OPG. it seems that since most of the lessons are oral, it would be a piece fo cake for her to do.

She sounds completely ready to start FLL1. Go for it.

I am not thinking she is ready for the Writing With Ease book yet since she is still struggling with writing letters correctly on lined paper. Would it be better to wait and use the Writing With Ease along side the FLL. I don't want to hold her back, yet I don't wan to be in a rush either. She won't be 6 until February and is very different than all six of my other boys. I would have never considered starting them on FLL at 5 years of age.

Yeah. Girls are fun, particularly after boys. :001_smile: You're right that she's not ready for WWE yet, but you don't have to do the two simultaneously; you can start FLL now and WWE next year, and she'll be in great shape. (It's good to do FLL either before or simultaneously with WWE, but you don't have to do both of them at exactly the same time.

I also have a question about my 8 year old. We are still working on reading fluency. He has been a very slow and labored reader. Since purchasing OPG, he has improved in his reading skills by leaps and bounds! I am hoping to finish the OPG this summer. He will be 9 by August and we technically have him as a third grader. I purchased the FLL 3 for him and he has never had the FLL 1 and 2. After looking at the content in level 3, there was no doubt in my mind he was ready for that level. As far at writing is concerned, I am not sure where to start though. He does not like to write and has not used a writing program yet. He has beautiful handwriiting, but complains when I give him a paragraph to copy. He is not a good speller, but is making great improvements since we started using All About Spelling. After looking at the examples of the Writing With Ease lessons level 1 and 2, it seemed as though they appeared they would be too easy for my almost 9 year old. He does pretty good writing from dictaion, yet he mispells words a lot. He is improving every day though! Where do I begin with a writing program for him? I own IEW's Structure and Style program, but I have not listened to it. I also am somewhat drawn to Writing Strands, but I still am not sure what level I would start my son at. Level one looks too easy, but level 2 might be the right one. We are getting ready to purchase Tapestry of Grace and a writing handbook comes wth the program. They say it is an excellent book, but I am not sure how thorough the writing instruction is. I would appreciate any wise advice you can give me. Thank you!

If I were you, I'd start him on WWE, level 2. Even if the first exercises are too easy for him, he'll build valuable skills and confidence, and they grow more difficult as the year goes on. I'd go on to do WWE levels 3 and 4 as well, and then go on to either IEW or Writing Strands 4.

IEW would DEFINITELY be too much for him right now.

Hope this helps. (Thanks for the bump, training5!)

SWB