Menu

Lively Latin

Chris in CA

Here's the breakdown:

I bought the pdf version and downloaded the audio to my laptop. Our color printer was on the fritz and in my husband's car from multiple trips to Circuit City to be fixed (which is a rant that possibly contains vocabulary not fit for these boards or polite society) so I decided to upload it to FedEx-Kinkos and have it printed. (It doesn't work in black and white because of the artwork and some of the shading in the lessons) About 12 lessons into the upload, I was at $140, discounted. And that was straight two-sided printing.

Ideally, you would want to futz with the printing so you can divide the lessons into their various notebook sections, so straight double-sided doesn't exactly work out.

If you have a color printer and printing the like pages in groups will not drive you insane (or you're ok with single sided printing, or you just decide to dispense with keeping them in different notebook sections), the pdf files are very cost effective. All told, we're probably looking at a $65 investment, including printing and burning an audio disk.

If you have to have it printed and Kinkos or Staples is your only option, it's probably more cost effective to get the bound version.

In my opinion, the CD package isn't worth the $24 difference. Disks are cheap (you can burn a backup disk and audio disk from the downloads) and you still have to print the book.

Does that help at all?

I bought the on-line version because it was the least expensive, and I'm happy. I'm using it for multiple kids, though. I print a lesson at a time, so it's doesn't take a huge chunk of my time (just how I prefer to do it, some may prefer to print the whole book at once). I was printing in color, but the past few months I've only had b&w and it hasn't been a big deal.

I purchased the print version (that comes with CD and online access) because it is over 400 pages, and the quality of the printed pages is very nice -- much nicer than my color copier would print (even the paper is fancy -- very thick and shiny). I knew I would not be able to have it printed for the difference in price between CD & print.

Since many of the pages are not written on by the student, they can easily be reused with later children (art pages, vocab lists, Roman history pages, etc). It is only about half of the pages that are actually written on, so I suggested to the author when I bought it that she offer an "additional student pack" with print versions of just these pages for people like me who would rather spend a few dollars than be stuck at a copier all day. She agreed this would be a good option, and since the pages are sequentially numbered at the bottom, it would be simple to add the extra pages in for later children.

That said though.....

I am thinking about just printing out the pdfs of the writing pages (Lesson & Exercise pages) in black and white, keeping the fancy copy to teach from. Then I will have a complete book to use for later children, with the beautiful art work and fancy, shiny paper.

Here's the breakdown:

I bought the pdf version and downloaded the audio to my laptop. Our color printer was on the fritz and in my husband's car from multiple trips to Circuit City to be fixed (which is a rant that possibly contains vocabulary not fit for these boards or polite society) so I decided to upload it to FedEx-Kinkos and have it printed. (It doesn't work in black and white because of the artwork and some of the shading in the lessons) About 12 lessons into the upload, I was at $140, discounted. And that was straight two-sided printing.

Ideally, you would want to futz with the printing so you can divide the lessons into their various notebook sections, so straight double-sided doesn't exactly work out.

If you have a color printer and printing the like pages in groups will not drive you insane (or you're ok with single sided printing, or you just decide to dispense with keeping them in different notebook sections), the pdf files are very cost effective. All told, we're probably looking at a $65 investment, including printing and burning an audio disk.

If you have to have it printed and Kinkos or Staples is your only option, it's probably more cost effective to get the bound version.

In my opinion, the CD package isn't worth the $24 difference. Disks are cheap (you can burn a backup disk and audio disk from the downloads) and you still have to print the book.

Does that help at all?

Very helpful post Angela :001_smile:

Thank you,

Bill

I purchased the print version (that comes with CD and online access) because it is over 400 pages, and the quality of the printed pages is very nice -- much nicer than my color copier would print (even the paper is fancy -- very thick and shiny). I knew I would not be able to have it printed for the difference in price between CD & print.

It's good to know the printing and paper quality is high. I was wondering about this, and I thank you for posting this information.

Bill

I am thinking about just printing out the pdfs of the writing pages (Lesson & Exercise pages) in black and white, keeping the fancy copy to teach from. Then I will have a complete book to use for later children, with the beautiful art work and fancy, shiny paper.

This is what I plan to do. :001_smile: