Menu

Should I keep high school work?

Wildcat

So, ds is at uni and is enjoying it so far. I have started going through the mountains of schoolwork left behind from years of homeschooling. Do I need to, or should I, keep any of his high school work?

Specifically, what I'm wondering is, do I need to keep proof of classwork for any reason? Can the uni come back and suddenly ask for proof of work done in XX class? I am thinking about keeping his cc syllabi because of potential transfer questions, but I'm not sure about the actual work for those classes, or if the syllabi are enough.

Should I keep anything else? 

Thoughts? :bigear:

I'd keep some things more for him than the university. I doubt that any of that would ever come back. But final papers, exams, copies of transcripts or grade reports from outside sources. At some point he might be happy to have those.

I remember one grandmother who gave her children's papers and art work to their children on the grandchild's same age birthday. 

My 2 cents worth: keep enough as proof of grades and to create a portfolio for the future -- whatever might be required for transfer to a different school / different degree program. Then put it all in a binder and hand it off to the student once s/he graduates from college. :)

On a tangentially weird note (lol), your question reminded me of a past thread:

I remember a few years back a mom posted that her DS graduated from homeschool high school, entered college with no troubles and graduated from the college with a very impressive degree -- and the business he applied to wanted proof of high school work via a portfolio since he only had a homeschool diploma -- YES, they totally bypassed the COLLEGE DEGREE and wanted to see high school work ! ! !  :confused1:

That's got to be the all-time completely backwards-weird thinking -- that anyone has ever thought it important to pursue seeing high school work INSTEAD OF the college degree! (Needless to say, the young man declined to follow up trying to hire on with that company.)

My 2 cents worth: keep enough as proof of grades and to create a portfolio for the future -- whatever might be required for transfer to a different school / different degree program. Then put it all in a binder and hand it off to the student once s/he graduates from college. :)

On a tangentially weird note (lol), your question reminded me of a past thread:

I remember a few years back a mom posted that her DS graduated from homeschool high school, entered college with no troubles and graduated from the college with a very impressive degree -- and the business he applied to wanted proof of high school work via a portfolio since he only had a homeschool diploma -- YES, they totally bypassed the COLLEGE DEGREE and wanted to see high school work ! ! !  :confused1:

That's got to be the all-time completely backwards-weird thinking -- that anyone has ever thought it important to pursue seeing high school work INSTEAD OF the college degree! (Needless to say, the young man declined to follow up trying to hire on with that company.)

The lady who wrote Form-u-la had to prove high school after the bachelor's as did a friend of mine--top cadet at TAMU, but they had to prove high school work for his Top Secret clearance. Fortunately, she had it all!

OK, y'all are scaring me. There are reasons that someone would want to see *high school* work after having received a college degree?! Holy Smokes!

Margaret, what would have happened if they hadn't had their high school work? They had to show everything? All the math lessons, history notes, etc? It is entirely possible that ds would go the route of needing a clearance at some point (he would be a civilian, not military), and the thought of having to prove his high school work is so strange to me.

I haven't thrown anything out yet, but man, that is a LOT of paper to keep. Not to mention we have several classes where "proof" might only be a page or two because most of the class was done by videos which we no longer have access to/own and evaluation was oral/discussion.

Man, oh man, I had pulled everything out yesterday that I thought a college might not ask for an Engineering major (proof of Personal Finance or Greek History), but now I'm scared to get rid of it. But I don't have room to keep all of this. much less for multiple kids. This is stressing me. :mellow:

And to think I nearly didn't ask this question. Ugh.

Thanks Margaret. That makes me feel better.

I decided to compromise and keep a rather large portfolio. :tongue_smilie: If someone somewhere down the line wants to see all of ds' calculus problems worked out, they will be out of luck. If they want to see his tests, however, we will have that available. 

Ds did both DE classes and several online classes, so I have papers and correspondence to back that up.

Like you, I have a list of all sorts of things--- dates, times, names & contact info for anything and everything. You just never know when it will come in handy. And it has. Dh used to laugh at my 'lists of everything', but after a few years, he just took it for granted that I could look something up. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I did need some obscure piece of info for one of ds' scholarship apps. It was on one of my lists. :thumbup:

Thanks again for the advice... I am much more relaxed today, and there is much less paper in the house. :coolgleamA:

• 2 weeks later...