Help me decide- party related...

Fiesta Feast  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What say the hive?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Other

I'm throwing a surprise fiesta for my husband's 40th this year.  I have about 65 people on the guest-list, including several of his professional peers and clients. I'm suggesting that children are welcome but that it would make an excellent date night.  Most of our friends and all of our family will bring their kids, though, I think.  I'm not sure about his coworkers, etc. My bil/sil have generously offered to supply the alcohol. I have a friend doing the music/emceeing. I will have to rent some tables/chairs. I will need to borrow / purchase linens.  I want this a nice affair, but not formal. DH hasn't had a party since he turned 30.

I have several options for food. 

1) Catered with my friend's in-laws.  They would do carne asada and chicken tacos grilled on the premises with rice, beans, green salad, chips, salsa, and beverage.  Everything from scratch.  They are Mexican so it would be very authentic and the carne asada would smell wonderful adding to the ambiance.  And, I wouldn't have to worry about setting up/cleaning up.  I could actually enjoy myself! And, I know the cooking is excellent. We don't have a grill and my in-laws said they would buy a cheaper model for dh's bday.  However, $11/person which I'm cringing at. My husband is.... thrifty.  "Happy Birthday!  Surprise! Here's the bill!" I've considered trimming the guest-list to make this work, because I really think it would be AWESOME!  I've found "taco bar" options on Craig's List for a little cheaper, but I don't know what I'd get.  Our neighbor, who gave me the idea originally, used someone that quoted me $13/pp.

2) Get take out from a nearby restaurant.  I have access to two chafing dishes. My original plan.

3) A friend- not a super close friend- offered to grill fajitas for the smell and suggested taquitos and stuff from Costco. I'd be concerned that I would "owe" her though, since she's doing me a favor.

What say the hive?

I have about a month until the party.

I'd lean towards option 1. How long do you have until the party? Can you scrimp a bit on groceries for the next few weeks/month/however long you have and save up towards the food? Or other money savers so it won't be such a big hit on the finances all at once?

I'd lean towards option 1. How long do you have until the party? Can you scrimp a bit on groceries for the next few weeks/month/however long you have and save up towards the food? Or other money savers so it won't be such a big hit on the finances all at once?