Menu

More menu questions- differences in meat

Yes people I haven't a clue!

Is there a quick guide someone could give me? I usually just get what's cheapest, but are certain cuts more suitable for certain dishes? Ground chuck, ground round, regular ole ground beef, what's the difference?

I wasn't kiddin' when I said I don't like cooking! But I must change for the sake of my children!

Thanks again!

Is there a quick guide someone could give me? I usually just get what's cheapest, but are certain cuts more suitable for certain dishes? Ground chuck, ground round, regular ole ground beef, what's the difference?

I wasn't kiddin' when I said I don't like cooking! But I must change for the sake of my children!

Thanks again!

Yes, cut does matter is my short answer. This requires a long answer. A Fanny Farmer Cookbook would be a good one to look this up in.

Fat content. The label usually states 80% meat (20% fat is left unstated). 85% is more$$$, 75% more fatty. 90% can be kinda dry if you are making burgers, but ideal for a casserole if you are trying to limit fat.

I try to get 80 - 85% and stock up if I see a sale.

One book I reference constantly is the Williams Sonoma Kitchen Companion. It allows you to look things up, there are conversions, substitutes, pairings, even what utensils and cutlery to use for what. It leaves nothing to chance. I rec. ordering this one. Good luck from someone still learning!

Thanks again!

Heather, I applaud your willingness to change.

lalalalal I'm covering my ears and not listening to the answers. I don't like to cook either, but I'm not ready to change. :glare: The boys are getting take out as I speak. I can't cook alfredo like Olive Garden.

Heather, I applaud your willingness to change.

lalalalal I'm covering my ears and not listening to the answers. I don't like to cook either, but I'm not ready to change. :glare: The boys are getting take out as I speak. I can't cook alfredo like Olive Garden.

I need all the help I can get.

I have a number of dishes that I do cook, but it gets boring! So, I come here in search of wisdom! My choices are limited here for take out, what's a girl gonna do?

Our family stopped eating beef a year ago, we substitute ground turkey for ground beef in all recipes and I make a pretty good turkey burger too. Turkey is lean and high in protein.

I'm very, very happy with the switch.

If you like that, then you should try grass fed beef. It is very lean and healthy. The fat is very different.

If you like that, then you should try grass fed beef. It is very lean and healthy. The fat is very different.

This reminds me of driving through Wyoming! The cows there looked so happy, walking in a line across the huge grassland. I told DH if I was a cow I would want to live in Wyoming!

It does sound tempting, and I'm sure that it solves the other problems that corn-fed beef has- high e.coli levels, abuse, slaughtering the sick animals, rainforest depletion etc. (I've read too many news articles :001_huh:)

We are on a tight military budget so I doubt we could eat it more than once a month though.

This reminds me of driving through Wyoming! The cows there looked so happy, walking in a line across the huge grassland. I told DH if I was a cow I would want to live in Wyoming!

It does sound tempting, and I'm sure that it solves the other problems that corn-fed beef has- high e.coli levels, abuse, slaughtering the sick animals, rainforest depletion etc. (I've read too many news articles :001_huh:)

We are on a tight military budget so I doubt we could eat it more than once a month though.

Yes, it is pricey. We tend to buy it directly from the farm. I'm not sure where you are stationed, but you could try Eat Wild at http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

Thanks again!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I don't know too much about meat cuts, but I do like allrecipes.com for meal ideas. When I lack ideas, I pick something and you can save it in your recipe box and print out a shopping list.

Ground beef has more fat than ground chuck, which has more than ground round. If you like the flavor that fat adds, then there's nothing wrong with using ground beef all round for any dishes that call for a ground version of beef. If you prefer leaner cuts, then something like ground round might be right for you, but the leaner, the more costly the cut of meat, in general.

I have found here that I like a particular type of grain fed beef that one grocery line sells. The bonus is that it's organic, too. So I check in as often as possible to see what they've reduced for quick sale and take those cuts home to wash and immediately freeze them.

I also like to pick up stew meat (cubed) and very small top round roasts, both of which I cook in my crockpot. Prep time for me is less than 30 minutes in the morning and then dinner is ready at night whenever we can eat.

I sometimes will put a small pork roast in the crockpot with a little water and bbq sauce and it's ready to shred by evening, for bbq pork sandwiches. (Baked beans to go along.....)