Menu

Writing Road to Reading

Roxy Roller

My DD13 still struggles with spelling.  I am interested in how a person would used WRTR with an older struggling speller.  I would love to just use the text and work through the word lists, but I am not sure if that would be enough and I don't know how to go about it.  I would love to find a resource that would have dictation tied to the lists, and some instruction for running an older student through a little quicker, as the text doesn't really address that.   

I would appreciate some ideas!

There is a lesson plan schedule for older students in the book "Starting a Spelling Notebook: a Nuts and Bolts Guide to The Writing Road to Reading."

I have this book, and it's pretty good. My only quibble with it is that it does not emphasize enough the importance of reading the manual. :-)

My DD13 still struggles with spelling.  I am interested in how a person would used WRTR with an older struggling speller.  I would love to just use the text and work through the word lists, but I am not sure if that would be enough and I don't know how to go about it.  I would love to find a resource that would have dictation tied to the lists, and some instruction for running an older student through a little quicker, as the text doesn't really address that.  

For both of these requirements, Spell To Write And Read (SWR) would be a better option, imo. It includes dictation sentences for every word, plus guidance on starting an older child in the lists.

Another, although vastly different option, is SpellWell (see its word list).

For both of these requirements, Spell To Write And Read (SWR) would be a better option, imo. It includes dictation sentences for every word, plus guidance on starting an older child in the lists.

Another, although vastly different option, is SpellWell (see its word list).

I think that a huge benefit of using SWR is the Yahoo Group.  I have lurked there since day 1, and seeing how the Ms. Sanseri and the trainers answer questions like yours is really invaluable.