Menu

Trip to Great Britain!!!

Cricket

What sort of things are you interested in? The Roman Baths in Bath are good but busy.  Stonehenge is another popular one, I thought the regular tour was underwhelming but we do drive past Stonehenge regularly so maybe the novelty wore off a while ago. You can book different tours from Bath or Salisbury that do private entry when its normally shut and you get to right up to the stones. The Dorset coast is very beautiful and you can pick fossils up off the beach at Charmouth/Lyme regis.

Wow, that's fantastic! I don't have a lot of advice, since I only spent two days there. We saw a lot in the two days though, making sure to see the London Tower area and then a boat ride on the Thames. We walked all over one afternoon and saw at least the outside of the major attractions.

There are lots of inexpensive (in comparison) B&B's in the Victoria Station area. We found one that was within walking distance from the station (maybe 4-6 blocks) and very convenient and safe. Depending on what kind of budget you are on, there are also several very nice hostels that are more family-oriented and quiet, that charge a lot less than hotels. You can get a private room. My daughter stayed at one right across the street from St. Paul's Cathedral.

How long are your going to be there, and during which season?  You could easily spend four weeks in London, but there's lots of great stuff outside the big cities.  Do you want to focus on urban activities, or get out and see the country?  Any particular literary or historical tie-ins you have an interest in?

In two years we celebrate our 20th anniversary. I thought it would be fun to do it then. Dh doesn't want to wait that long but I told him half the fun is planning and imagining! We could probably go anytime between late May to late September. I'm thinking two weeks minimum.

Any historical is great. My main interest is medieval history although it is all interesting. I love Jane Austen. It would be nice to hit a few London highlights but then I really want to explore the countryside and definitely see Scotland and the Highlands.

How is it there gluten-free wise? Do you think I'll have trouble finding food? I'm also allergic to sunflower oil. Is that popular in foods there? It is in many snack and health foods here. I'm thinking it might be easier to stay in places where I can prepare our own food instead of relying strictly on restaurants. I've seen where you can rent static caravans for very decent money. I even started looking at renting an RV but the idea of driving one there scares me.

Is it best to stick with buses and trains?

There are quite a few great things you can do by train. York is about a 2 hour journey from London by train on the way to Edinburgh. The station is right in the town so easy. One of my favorite places here. Plenty to see and do. Lots of roman and viking artifacts and ruins. The York Minster is really lovely. There is a huge renovation project underway and watching the stone masons at work is fascinating. It would be easy to spend two or three days never leaving the city.

Another idea, since you are a Jane Austen fan, would be somewhere in the Hope Valley/Peak district area. They do quite a bit of the filming for the various Austen/Bronte movies on or by the Longshaw Estate near Heathersage. Beautiful area. Lots of gorgeous walking trails. Nice pubs etc. There is a train through many of these villages out of Sheffield so accessible without a car.

Depending on how long you want to stay in one spot a Holiday House rental is a good option. Should be plenty of websites. I would do the May or June option if possible. The weather frequently is best then plus school is still in session. Much more peaceful then.

Driving here can be stressful. I definately would not try driving a camper trailer. I mean that very literally because I personally wouldn't and I used to in the US. ;) Private hire cars are pretty comman at least where I live. Basically prearranged taxicabs. I have never arranged one anywhere but from my village but flat rate with a predetermined pick up time. The rate has been reasonable. These could be an easy option for a couple of excursions where buses and trains won't work.

Gluten Free. I know most bakerys sell really nice gluten free bread. Lol Seriously if no on else answers this one I have a good friend who is so I can find out. They travel for business quite a bit so she should have so good ideas. PM me in a few days if you want me to talk to her.

I agree, do not hire an RV. the roads are narrow in a lot of places and you'll probably get yourself into stressful situations. I live in Devon and see tourists get them selves in trouble all the time. It would be more sensible to rent a small car and then hire cottages.

This website has lots of cottages for hire at good prices and this website has lots of options too. I noticed there was a very cheap flat in Camden to rent. It was a bargain.

I doubt you'll have problems with gluten free, sunflower oil might be more of a problem but not impossible. Stuff is quite well marked for allergens. If you are looking for a quick lunch in cities you could always try places like Marks and spencers and their lunch stuff is clearly marked and there's a lot of variety. Some places do gluten free fish and chips if you fancy that too and some places fry in peanut oil or dripping or lard.

It sounds like you'd enjoy Bath, the Jane Austen Centre is there.

I'd personally avoid coming in the school summer holidays here which are mid July to end of Aug, as it's already chaotic in a lot of the more popular visitor attractions and that just adds a new level of chaos.

You might like to browse the National Trust Website and English Heritage websites.

We went quite some time ago, but what I loved--

Salisbury Cathedral--super tall spire, lovely--also Stonehenge

Coventry Cathedrals--two--one, the burned out remains, the other, the rebuilt--very cool

Canterbury--loved the town and cathedra. We stayed in a little bandb there.

Warwick Castle

The ruins of Kennilsworth

Eating fish and chips in the paper! But not gluten free.

My dad grew up in Liverpool--we didn't make it there, or to Wales, where he was evacuated...it's lovely.

So is Cornwall, or the Cotswolds--I didn't feel I was in the England of my books and dreams til I saw the Cotswolds! :-)

Have a fabulous time!

Oh, and we went to Stratford-on-Avon and got last-minute cheap tickets to see Hamlet--very cool.

Oh, and I've recommended this book 3 times here, but it's really appropriate for you ;) :

A Fine Romance: Falling in Love With the English Countryside

It's such a great book!

How cool!  We're leaving in October for a week in London and then a few days elsewhere so I'll pick read it before then.

skip Leeds Castle!  It is pretty on the outside but very modernized inside.

We enjoyed the city of Bath :)

I wish we had seen more quaint villages.  Strattsford upon Avon is neat.  I'm pretty sure I got a nasty stomach bug from Mary Arden's Farm. 

Thanks, everyone! I think we will pass on the RV idea. We have a 36 ft RV here but even driving a little compact car there would give us fits i think. Dh already scares me enough here. Throw in the whole other side of the road thing and....wow.

I'm excited to start making notes and planning! Especially now that it might really happen!

You can most places using combo of train and bus but the services get more thin on the ground the more rural you get. It can be slow going. But in the middle of the country it's not so bad but if you are thinking of the far south west or Wales or somewhere else rural a car is probably necessary.

The trains are a great way to travel.

I second (third?) the recommendation for Bath. There are the Roman baths, the Costume Museum, a cathedral, the Crescent, the Circus, a Georgian home you can tour...it's really neat.

London:

St. Paul's Cathedral

Westminster Abbey

the Tower of London

the British Museum

the National Gallery

the Natural History museum

the British Library

also, it's really fun to see a play at the theatre or a show at the Albert Hall, if you get a chance

Oh, duh--the Tower is a must, and the British Museum is amazing, esp if you've done Ancients--the Rosetta Stone is just in the middle of the Egyptian area--just right out there! Dh was sure it was a copy lol! There mummies and Babylonian stuff is neat, and they have the Elgian Marbles--the friezes from the Parthenon...:-)

If you're a Pride & Prejudice fan, consider Chatsworth House (2005 Pemberley) or Lyme Park (1995 Pemberley).  Climb to the top of Mam Tor nearby, all in Derbyshire.

If you're a Inspector Morse or CS Lewis fan, consider Oxford.

We took the Tube in London, rented a car to drive to Stonehenge, Bath & Derbyshire.  Experienced literally 50 turnabouts en route.  Which was more than enough.