Menu

If you used Saxon Math 1

aminuteorless

I am using Saxon Math 1 with my kindergarten boy.  Conceptually, I think we're at the right level.  Not frustrating hard, but not pointlessly easy.  He gets the ideas with a small amount of discussion and manipulative use.  We did lesson 15 today.  We did the meeting, a written assessment, then the lesson which covered two separate concepts, and then he had the regular workbook page for the day.  45 minutes!  That's just two long.  And I felt like he stayed on task really well!!!

Two questions: 

1) we are only doing one of the two workbook pages for each lesson.  I can't imagine adding that in as well.  If he doesn't get something, I'll use the second workbook page the next day for a review day.  Do you think this is ok?

2)  I think the written assessment is what put us over the edge today time wise.  His writing skills are on a K level so coloring and printing numbers just takes awhile.  Would you divide these type of lessons into two days, skip the assessment, or maybe do the assessment and the lesson but skip the meeting?  I'd like to skip the assessment to cut down on writing.  There is so much review anyway, and I know where he is at.  There is the written + oral assessment every 10 lessons.  Isn't that enough?

Any ideas for me?

I used Saxon 1 for Kindergarten - but we did no written work (no work sheets, no assessments, no fact sheets).  The meeting time and lesson activities are more than enough for Kindergarten.  I throw in a few math fact flash cards (doubles, +1), and I made my own number flashcards to learn how to count, skip counting, sorting, etc.  If you don't even finish the book - it's OK.  You can successfully go to Saxon 2 in first grade without doing any formal math curriculum for kindergarten. (Even then, one side of the worksheet is usually sufficient. )

In kindergarten, one day a week was math game day (cards, dominoes, etc.) and one day was math library book day (lots of great math books for Kindergarten age!) That left 3 days for math concepts using Saxon - skip around or combine lessons, make it about learning with all those fun manipulatives!

The only math related writing I required was learning to write numbers!

I also used Saxon 1 in K. I think you could skip assessments, and use them only if you feel the extra practice would be helpful for any reason. As far as daily lessons, if his conceptual understanding surpasses his motor/ writing skills, you might consider being his scribe--having him give the answer orally and you write it down. If he was previously doing side A independently then this would be more time consuming for you (and I see you have some littles!) but I thought I'd throw out that idea...

One more thought...you mentioned skipping meeting on assessment days and I think you could definitely consider that. I am a huge fan of daily drill, but even if you were to cut down to 4 days a week of morning meeting, that is still a LOT of practice! Also, some parts of the meeting can be done apart from the lesson...you can do counting, saying days of the week, etc. in the car.

I just want to encourage you that if you have a curriculum that you like, but there is something about it that is just sucking the life out of your student, don't be afraid to make adjustments so that it will work for you. :)

45 min was a good paced day for us too. That's why I switched to MM. It takes 20 minutes per lesson.

To get through the year last year I did the meetings every other day unless he was acting up. I only did one side of the worksheet. Now I have side two for my next son when he gets to K and I don't have to buy a new wkbk. yay!

I also combine lessons that looked the same and just picked the second lessons worksheet side A to do. Combine lessons is what helped me the most. Either by outing two short lessons together or putting two on the same topic together. I marked them off with a little X next to the lesson number so when I got to it I new I already merged it with a previous lesson.

I did have a friend that skipped the meeting because she didn't think it was important at all and the boy is now having to repeat 1st and he's 8yr old. So I wouldn't skip too many meetings. A lot of good little bits are practiced there.

2nd grade saxon, first 72 lessons or so are review of first so don't fret if you don't get it all done.

One more thought...you mentioned skipping meeting on assessment days and I think you could definitely consider that. I am a huge fan of daily drill, but even if you were to cut down to 4 days a week of morning meeting, that is still a LOT of practice! Also, some parts of the meeting can be done apart from the lesson...you can do counting, saying days of the week, etc. in the car.

I just want to encourage you that if you have a curriculum that you like, but there is something about it that is just sucking the life out of your student, don't be afraid to make adjustments so that it will work for you. :)

:iagree:

When we were doing Saxon 1, it was my first year homeschooling and we did everything...  It was definitely too much.  Our ds had had two years of preschool and a year of kindergarten by the time we did Saxon 1 and honestly, he didn't need most of the meetings and much of the writing.  I've since learned that companies put a lot of information in their books because students are at different levels and some need everything and some don't, so it's up to us as parents and teachers to adjust the curriculum as needed. How many people do everything in SOTW's activitiy books?  ;)  It's good to have all that information, like it's good to have the two math workbook pages for the times your child needs them, but pick and choose.  If it's a skill your child has mastered, skip it.  If it's a skill that your child hasn't had yet, do it but note when it's mastered and move on.  Saxon does provide consistent reviews, which IMO is a good thing.

In your case, if you like Saxon, stick with it but make it work for you and your child.  When planning for the week, read a head a bit and highlight what you want, and need, to do with your child.  When the reviews come around, do them and see how your child does.

HTH.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to start doing more of the written work orally with him until he is more comfortable writing his numbers.  MotherofBoys thanks for the tip about not skipping too many meetings.  I do feel like he needs that daily drill with some aspects of the meeting.  thanks again!