Menu

Class of 2014 college acceptances

hsbeth

How much room is there for interesting independent projects or being involved with interesting research at UA?  I think I would just want to make sure that where-ever he is, he has a possibility of doing more than just the ordinary classes, even if he has lots of those at a higher level.  I'm sure you've thought of this, but it is sort of like the difference between the calculus class my son took at the community college and the AP calculus class that his cousin took.  They both taught calculus, but the focus of my son's cc class was teaching basic calculus to a variety of students, some of whom had no interest and some of whom were ill prepared.  The focus in the cousin's class was very different.  It involved not only teaching the basics of calculus but also involved lots of fun problems, interesting applications, and taught higher level problem solving skills.  My son is struggling in his university calc classes because he didn't have that extra challenge in high school.  There was one person in his calc class that was what Jane calls a kindred spirit, and their mutual goal was definately more on getting through the class than on offering each other interesting intellectual challenges.  The cousin has a group of friends moving through the AP classes together.  They share the interesting extra bits they find, share their enthusiasm for different aspects of the subject, work on the harder problems together, and motivate and challenge each other.  The experience has been entirely different.

Nan

Nan, did your son take the cc calculus class for scientists and engineers?   I know ours offers different levels and the lower levels would likely necessitate repeating Calculus I at university.  Sorry to hear he's struggling, but hopefully he'll get up to speed soon.   A good study group would probably help a lot.

I agree about the dangers of "under-schooling".   Never knew there was a term for that!    Lots of offers for scholarships, free applications, free tuition, etc., but if it's not the right fit then we didn't see the point and didn't want to deprive someone truly interested in the school of the opportunity.   Sure makes the waiting for any results more stressful though.   Dd is fine, but I sure would love to have some reassurance.  lol

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of offers for scholarships, free applications, free tuition, etc., but if it's not the right fit then we didn't see the point and didn't want to deprive someone truly interested in the school of the opportunity.  

Same here with middle son.  There are literally multiple places he could have gone for free had we wanted to pursue them (some of his peers with lesser stats did).  He is truly thriving where he is at though, so I've no regrets shelling out some $$ for him to be there and letting him take on "basic" student loans.  There is a difference and that difference is worth it.

That said, I think UA is still worth considering (it was one of my guy's safety schools).  They have a good number of top stat kids in their Honors College, so there are peers stats-wise, and one can live in Honors dorms.  One would just need to check into the content of their classes and where recent grads have gone.  For us, my guy wanted med school.  It would have been just fine.  But I think he'll also do just fine at the higher ranked school where he is - and he's definitely enjoyed the learning experiences he's had (in a major he prefers that UA does not have).  He had his choice to go either way - or a couple of other options...

Nan, did your son take the cc calculus class for scientists and engineers?   I know ours offers different levels and the lower levels would likely necessitate repeating Calculus I at university.  Sorry to hear he's struggling, but hopefully he'll get up to speed soon.   A good study group would probably help a lot.

I agree about the dangers of "under-schooling".   Never knew there was a term for that!    Lots of offers for scholarships, free applications, free tuition, etc., but if it's not the right fit then we didn't see the point and didn't want to deprive someone truly interested in the school of the opportunity.   Sure makes the waiting for any results more stressful though.   Dd is fine, but I sure would love to have some reassurance.  lol

It was the only one offered - the one for the engineering transfer students.  I think it's probably ok.  It won't hurt him to have to work hard.  He has several friends who are helping.  He'll probably be ok (we'll know soon).  I agree that a good study group (rather than a few friends who are better at this and that) would be a good idea, but he's having trouble finding one that is on his schedule.  I will remind him again to look for one. We made a deliberate trade-off, choosing classroom skills over better math.  I still think it was the right decision.  He's not under-schooled, anyway lol.  I made that term up but I think I'm probably not the only one to do it.  The idea is a common enough one.  You might just want to use it cautiously outside this thread.  It might have other meanings.

I know exactly what you mean about wanting some reassurance.  I was totally desperate for reassurance while we were waiting to hear from colleges.

Nan

Creekland, I think UA can be an excellent choice.  Their honors program sounds awesome and their scholarships are very generous.  For reasons other than academics, it's doesn't appear to be the best fit here, but it's so hard to know without having visited.  Sounds like your son made a great choice with UR!

Nan, I like the term and if it's not common elsewhere, it just may catch on.    And yes, reassurance will be welcomed whenever it comes. 

I did it. I homeschool them all the way through school and got them into college. It wasn't all for naught. I feel validated and relieved all at once.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! A good friend has two kids at Cedarville, with one graduating in the spring.  It's been a wonderful experience, a great fit.

It's an amazing feeling, isn't it?!  I sent my first one off to college this fall, but I loved this thread so much last year that I keep up with this year's thread.  All those years of thinking, hoping, praying I was doing all right--exactly what you said, validation and relief that the efforts and accomplishments were recognized.

Today was one of those days where just about everything that could go wrong did.  But a shining bright spot was that DS got his second acceptance --  University of South Carolina.  We have to wait to find out if he'll get into the Honors College, but still . . . yay!

Today was one of those days where just about everything that could go wrong did.  But a shining bright spot was that DS got his second acceptance --  University of South Carolina.  We have to wait to find out if he'll get into the Honors College, but still . . . yay!

It's extra sweet when the good news comes along on a not-so-good day like that.  Glad to hear it came at that time!  Congrats!

My ds was accepted into the Honors College at Ole Miss! Theirs requires a separate application with essays, etc. which is unlike his other two state U Honors Colleges which are solely based on stats. He applied EA to the Honors College at Ole Miss, so found out yesterday! They take about 320 per year, and I think around 1,100 or so apply. Arkansas, Alabama, and Ole Miss are his three safeties. He is now in Honors at all three!

Other than hearing about whether he can compete for additional scholarship money at those three schools (fellowships, etc.), we will have no more decisions until March 31/April 1. He really only has one match school, but it also doesn't notify until April 1. All of his other schools are reachy-reaches! April 1 sure seems like a loooonnnnggg time from now!

Ds1 was accepted to Hendrix College today! Apparently, they called him last week and talked for a long time, but I only found out about that today. He was also accepted to the honors colleges at Bellarmine and St. Edwards.

He was accepted everywhere! And we only have one outstanding scholarship application, but won't hear about that until late January at the earliest.

I am ridiculously happy. This is a never-been-to-school kid who read the Teenage Liberation Handbook at 12 and considers himself an unschooler. I can't believe that he and I made it through, still like each other, and had success at the end!

We are going to the zoo tomorrow in celebration (his favorite thing to do....)!

Florida State accepted ds. There is one more school he applied to but, after visiting, decided it's not a good fit.  Now, we are waiting on aid decisions and applying for outside scholarships.  He also needs to begin a detailed pro/con list to narrow things down.  It will be interesting to see where he finally decides to go. 

I want to thank all of you for helping ds get this far.  The info. and advice you all provided on these boards helped guide us through his schooling.  From using graph paper to line up long division, where to find AP classes, methods to use for dyslexic students and all the tips on how to teach and what to avoid.  I have learned a ton!  We would not be here if it weren't for TWTM book and all of you.  So, thank you!

Denise

No good news for us... DD got deferred at early action at U Chicago.

Now we won't have anything to report here until March.

Sorry to here that, Regentrude. It is deflating for them, isn't it. I am wondering if ds is going to be rejected by GA Tech since they only changed their admission requirements for homeschoolers right before going to the CA. I read something like 14,000 students applied there EA and he does not have an outside grade for history which was one of their former requirements. I am glad that they have delayed announcements until after Christmas.

I hope she gets good news in March.

Sorry to hear it. It's their loss, really. It makes me wonder just what kind of students they are looking for... Your dd sounds so accomplished in a variety of areas. Best wishes to her with the March decisions.

Brenda

Regentrude,

My ds was deferred from his top choice school, Grinnell, and ultimately was not accepted.  The school prides itself on its unique undergraduate program that is free from general education requirements, and on its diverse student body and progressive politics, but ironically its admissions requirements were the most rigid we encountered. I often thought my son's unusual homeschool background worked against him there because he didn't fit the cookie cutter mold they expected. BUT the happy ending is that when he visited one of his back up LAC campuses in April, he realized it was PERFECT.  He knew immediately he would be much happier there.  The academic opportunities have been first rate at this "safety", his friendships are priceless and Grinnell is all but forgotten.  

I hadn't really shared this story before, but it struck me in reading your post that it is a good thing to show that deferrals and rejections do sometimes happen.  Your dd will still have a happy ending, too, whether at Chicago or at someplace else.

Regentrude, I'm sorry.  U of Chicago sounds like it would be such an awesome fit for your daughter with their excellent science/math and strong core.  I hope she gets accepted in the regular decision round.  She should end up with some very nice options and offers.   Yeah, the waiting is hard.   It's great that she's already been admitted to some nice safeties, but undoubtedly she'll have some nice reach options too.

Edit:  I wrote this before reading Jenn's words of wisdom.   And I agree with her that sometimes there's something even better.

Regentrude,

I am so sorry. Rejections hurt.

Welcome to the waiting club -- there aren't many of us who need to wait until spring to hear anything, but you do have company. (As a music major, dd's EA school won't let her know until late February/early March -- which does make me wonder why she bothered doing EA!)

Hugs!

(Hitting the like button seemed like the wrong response to this lol.)

I don't have a facebook account, but I heard on the news that they are adding a 'sympathy' button.

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and spent 5 years in college on Lake Michigan.  She may have just been saved from long, bitterly cold winters.  B) Lemons and lemonade and all that...

Thanks all for your commiserations and good thoughts. DD is handling it quite well, I am very proud of her.

We had an interesting discussion today about why exactly it feels the way it does, when DH tried to compare it with job interviews. DD pointed out that, at least for her, the big difference is that, where in a job interview you are evaluated based on your professional capability, in college applications, there is all this emphasis on the whole person approach, on looking beyond the academic accomplishments to the prospective student's personality, and the student is expected to reveal and show the facets of who she is as a person... thus, a rejection is also viewed as a rejection as a person, and not as rejection as not qualified based on some measurable, quantifiable accomplishment. This makes actually a lot of sense to me, but I did point out that, of course, even though the student puts her soul and personality into the essay and all the questions, the people who make the decision still only judge a heap of papers.

ETA: She also made the interesting comment that she wished she had never done any  college visits, because then she would not have become attached. Makes me wonder if she does not have a point and it would have been wiser to hold off all visit and only visit after acceptance.

Anyway, sorry to be off on a tangent, as this is the college acceptance thread. Congrats to all who got in where they desired!

Thanks all for your commiserations and good thoughts. DD is handling it quite well, I am very proud of her.

We had an interesting discussion today about why exactly it feels the way it does, when DH tried to compare it with job interviews. DD pointed out that, at least for her, the big difference is that, where in a job interview you are evaluated based on your professional capability, in college applications, there is all this emphasis on the whole person approach, on looking beyond the academic accomplishments to the prospective student's personality, and the student is expected to reveal and show the facets of who she is as a person... thus, a rejection is also viewed as a rejection as a person, and not as rejection as not qualified based on some measurable, quantifiable accomplishment. This makes actually a lot of sense to me, but I did point out that, of course, even though the student puts her soul and personality into the essay and all the questions, the people who make the decision still only judge a heap of papers.

Anyway, sorry to be off on a tangent, as this is the college acceptance thread. Congrats to all who got in where they desired!

Yes, and they're expected to do all that in 150 (or whatever) words or less!   

BTW when I refer to this university and others as reaches, it's not from the point of view of the student's stats or abilities, but strictly from the incredibly small percentage who are admitted.  And there's little difference between how an accepted and a deferred look on paper, or in person for that matter.

We'll all be celebrating by May 1st with our student's choices.  That's when they get the opportunity to accept or reject the colleges' offers, and more than likely all will report how it worked out for the best come next year.

Ugh. Do they do these things just to torture applicants (and their moms)?

This week, my son got two copies of the exact same letter from the third of the four colleges in his first batch of applications. The letter essentially said, the college knows there are problems with the Common App, but the school's deadlines remain the same. Also, students should be "persistent" in getting applications done but then be patient while the college sorts through and makes decisions. This is the school that has a December 1 deadline for potential arts majors, a deadline my son met with a few days to spare. The letter was dated December 4 and arrived on December 19.

In other words, we have no actual news for you, and by the time we wrote this letter it was already too late for you to submit your application, anyway. But, hey, here's a piece of mail for you.

Meanwhile, he got an e-mail yesterday from the fourth school that said the admission decision had been made and he should watch the mail for correspondence.

Seriously? They couldn't just say yes or no in the e-mail?

Good grief.

Great news.  Ds got two acceptances in the mail today ... Illinois Wesleyan and Lawrence University - both with top scholarship $$$.  4 acceptances, waiting on 1 and possibly 2 more apps to send in. 

These acceptances have been bright spots in a very difficult winter due to his mental health issues.  I am dreading the midyear report where I will have to explain dropping a class due to these problems and pray that none of that will affect the scholarship offers.  One of the apps is an academic and financial safety - the local LAC where he has been taking classes.  He has guaranteed admission and a guaranteed scholarship with the opportunity to apply for a larger one.  I don't think this is the best fit for him, but, given his situation, we may have to consider it. 

Great news! Don't worry too much about the mid year report. Just in the past few days, I have heard quite a few stories about senior year problems (low grades, changing classes, court dates, illness) and everything worked out fine. 

Illness happens. There is no blame there.  :grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

Ds got an acceptance email from UNCG (University of North Carolina Greensboro) while we were enroute to Grandma and Grandpa's for Christmas on Dec. 20th.  They invited him to apply to the International Honors College and Scholars program (with a note that the Scholars application was due Dec. 18th :huh:)  Ds called the admissions office and they said his deadline is January 3rd.  Whew. :D

Belmont University has been a major pain to work with.  We have tried to contact both the admissions office and ds's admissions counselor since mid-Dec. and haven't been able to get a hold of anyone that can answer any questions.  They still say they haven't received his transcript and the test score date listed is not the one we sent them, so we are not sure what is up with that.  Now for some reason we are locked out of the application updates page and tech support isn't answering.  We were really hoping to have an admissions decision by now because ds would need to audition on their January 25th date - he's booked on their other audition dates.  It's not ds's first choice, but he was hoping to keep it as an option.

I don't post very often but thought I would join this one. Ds has been accepted to all schools applied for, along with several honors programs. I am having a difficult time trying to discern what might be best for him. Money is a huge factor, so we have to wait for some scholarship decisions to come back. Here's what he is considering. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! (These are not listed in any particular order.)

1. UT Austin: accepted to Plan II (honors major)

2. Baylor: accepted to University Scholars program

3. SMU: admitted; waiting to see if invited to scholarship competition

4.University of Dallas: accepted with scholarship offer, too

5. Deep Springs College: invited to Round 2; will have approximately 1 in 3 chance of being admitted

4.University of Dallas: accepted with scholarship offer, too

Any experience, opinions, or otherwise, on UT Dallas?

Sue,

UT Dallas (www.utdallas.edu) is not the same school as University of Dallas (www.udallas.edu). U of D is a private, Catholic, liberal arts school with a strong classical core program, whereas UT Dallas is a Texas state school.

Brenda

Ds was just accepted at GA Tech. Now we wait for however many days before scholarship announcements are made.

I am so impressed!!!!  Didn't they just change their homeschool requirements to be more homeschool friendly?  What all did you have to do to apply?

If I had my choice, that's where ds would have gone.  But, there is no way he could play basketball there.

I am so impressed!!!! Didn't they just change their homeschool requirements to be more homeschool friendly? What all did you have to do to apply?

If I had my choice, that's where ds would have gone. But, there is no way he could play basketball there.

This summer when I called and spoke with an admissions officer, I wasn't sure it was worth his applying since they required outside validation for a humanities course which he didn't have and wouldn't have had by Nov 1 which is when you had to apply in order to qualify for scholarships.

Right before the CA came online, I noticed that they were now posting what were requirements as recommendations. So, ds simply submitted the CA.

Here is what College Confidential is reporting as the stats (I don't know where they got them.)

EA admit rate: 40% (Avg. SAT= 1485/2193 w/ 9+ AP/IB/College courses by graduation). Defer 24%, Deny 32%. (5% closed/ incomplete) Ă¢â‚¬Âª#Ă¢â‚¬Å½gojacketsĂ¢â‚¬Â¬

Ds was just accepted at GA Tech. Now we wait for however many days before scholarship announcements are made.

Hooray! And I (finally) have my son's first-ever acceptance to report: GA Tech also! Whew! (We had a nail-biting few hours this afternoon when he didn't receive ANY email from them -- and still hasn't -- but his GA Tech account says he's accepted. And by "we" I mean his dad & me ... he has been out on a hike with friends all day ... :) )

It is such a relief to have at least one acceptance in hand. It's even a school he'd be happy to attend (a backup, yes, and far away, but an excellent school). I will post later about the disappointing deferrals he's gotten so far; I've just been so busy (and sick). I appreciate other posters' openness up-thread and intend to add to it soon :)

ETA: Yes, I know it's not all about me, haha, but I'm supposed to be on a panel at a seminar in exactly 4 weeks on how to get your homeschooled student into college ... and was facing the specter of my son not actually having been accepted anywhere yet .... some "expert"! So that's part of my relief, also :D

I am so impressed!!!!  Didn't they just change their homeschool requirements to be more homeschool friendly?  What all did you have to do to apply?

If I had my choice, that's where ds would have gone.  But, there is no way he could play basketball there.

Sue, I know very little about college basketball. Do you mean the team at GA Tech is super-good? Or is it like Caltech's team? :) GA Tech isn't tiny like Caltech, so I'm assuming it's not the latter ... ?? but I also know your son's a very gifted player.

My son received his third acceptance today, from LIU-Post, along with a nice, chunky scholarship offer.

That makes three acceptances from the first batch of four applications, all with offers of the top level of merit aid.

We're still waiting on the fourth of those first schools, and he submitted a few more apps a week or so ago. And, of course, he still has to audition for theatre and dance programs and scholarships. But it finally hit him when he opened the big envelope from LIU today that he may actually have more than one good choice once the dust settles.

Hooray! And I (finally) have my son's first-ever acceptance to report: GA Tech also! Whew! (We had a nail-biting few hours this afternoon when he didn't receive ANY email from them -- and still hasn't -- but his GA Tech account says he's accepted. And by "we" I mean his dad & me ... he has been out on a hike with friends all day ... :) )

It is such a relief to have at least one acceptance in hand. It's even a school he'd be happy to attend (a backup, yes, and far away, but an excellent school). I will post later about the disappointing deferrals he's gotten so far; I've just been so busy (and sick). I appreciate other posters' openness up-thread and intend to add to it soon :)

ETA: Yes, I know it's not all about me, haha, but I'm supposed to be on a panel at a seminar in exactly 4 weeks on how to get your homeschooled student into college ... and was facing the specter of my son not actually having been accepted anywhere .... some "expert"! So that's part of my relief, also :D

Yay!! I'm so glad he received an acceptance. GA Tech is one of ds's top choices, but unless he gets scholarship $$ it is sort of like being offered the chance to go to the moon if you can pay the price bc w/o at least the equivalent of instate tuition, it is not even any type of option.

Glad you got an acceptance in hand prior to your talk!! Hope you feel better.

Yay!! I'm so glad he received an acceptance. GA Tech is one of ds's top choices, but unless he gets scholarship $$ it is sort of like being offered the chance to go to the moon if you can pay the price bc w/o at least the equivalent of instate tuition, it is not even any type of option.

Glad you got an acceptance in hand prior to your talk!! Hope you feel better.

Thank you !!! And yes, now it's time to look at all the financial aid forms for the various schools he's applied to, do the FAFSA, etc. ...

BTW, I've been meaning to post in the other thread about PhD programs. (My husband has a PhD in astrophysics from Princeton, so some of his experiences & those of his colleagues might be helpful.) Also, has your son talked with the TAs, faculty, etc. from his summer camp? Many/some of the camp alums major in astronomy & return as TAs and then even as faculty (the academic director a few years ago, Tracy F, was a student at my camp many years ago). I'm sure they'd be happy to give him advice. I think there are several forums, a Yahoo group (?), Facebook group, etc. for alumni.

Sue, I know very little about college basketball. Do you mean the team at GA Tech is super-good? Or is it like Caltech's team? :) GA Tech isn't tiny like Caltech, so I'm assuming it's not the latter ... ?? but I also know your son's a very gifted player.

GA Tech is a Division 1 school.  D1 basketball is very competitive.  Large, D1 schools are super competitive.  D1 teams are given 13 full scholarships which cannot be broken up.

Mines is Division 2 school.  D2 is not as competitive.  D2 teams are given 10 scholarships which can be broken up into partial scholarships.

CalTech is a Division 3 school.  D3 schools are not as competitive, but some conferences/schools are more competitive than others.  D3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

CalTech contacted ds after the summer.  We looked at their stats.  They had just broken their 10 season losing streak with a win.  :scared:

Only 1 D1 school expressed interest in ds.  3 D2 schools expressed interest.  Many D3 schools expressed interest.  Dh says that had ds waited, more D1 schools would have expressed interest if the HS team does well this season (and they are), but he would not have been their top pick b/c those have been chosen already.

Oh, I didn't know GA Tech was D1. Thanks for the explanation! I did know Caltech doesn't give athletic scholarships and was proud of their (losing) streak :)

Mines seems perfect for your son, then, Sue! Exciting! I will have to pay more attention to college basketball next year :)

This summer when I called and spoke with an admissions officer, I wasn't sure it was worth his applying since they required outside validation for a humanities course which he didn't have and wouldn't have had by Nov 1 which is when you had to apply in order to qualify for scholarships.

Right before the CA came online, I noticed that they were now posting what were requirements as recommendations. So, ds simply submitted the CA.

Here is what College Confidential is reporting as the stats (I don't know where they got them.)

EA admit rate: 40% (Avg. SAT= 1485/2193 w/ 9+ AP/IB/College courses by graduation). Defer 24%, Deny 32%. (5% closed/ incomplete) Ă¢â‚¬Âª#Ă¢â‚¬Å½gojacketsĂ¢â‚¬Â¬

These stats came from GA Tech itself.  They sent an email to their current students with the same info.  My daughter is doing DE there and gets the emails and was just reading this to me.  I was thinking, "Where did I see that before?"  So in case anyone cares, these are reliable numbers.  She also says that, historically, a big chunk of GA Tech's total admissions comes through EA.  I don't know where that comes from--her head, possibly.

These stats came from GA Tech itself. They sent an email to their current students with the same info. My daughter is doing DE there and gets the emails and was just reading this to me. I was thinking, "Where did I see that before?" So in case anyone cares, these are reliable numbers. She also says that, historically, a big chunk of GA Tech's total admissions comes through EA. I don't know where that comes from--her head, possibly.

Yes, I later learned that they had posted them on their Facebook page and that the avg ACT score was a 32. I think your dd is right re RD but I don't remember where I read it.

Ds got his acceptance letter from Belmont University today - I'm surprised it came so quicky after all the fuss of getting the supplemental materials in. Now he just has to finish preparing for his audition and get his composition portfolio together.

His teacher mentioned applying to the IU Jacobs School of Music again today. Ds was interested initially (months ago), then he wasn't really, now it's a "maybe - is it too late?" Technically he's missed the deadlines, but I told him he could still apply and see if they have space to consider him.

My son's going to college!  We got our first letter from our list of hopefuls.....and my son has been accepted to Ithaca College and to their Division III crew team!  Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and I can enjoy reading these posts again ....................now the fun of more (!) acceptances and then the await of the much needed, yet dreaded financial packages that will enable us to make the final college choice.  But for right now......... Imagine me grabbing my son and doing a happy dance all around the kitchen floor! 

Myra

I haven't been around much for the last year (or two, I guess...) but thought I'd jump onto this.  My oldest 2 are both graduating this year & so far have 4 acceptances at rolling admissions schools with merit aid at all of them.  The first one to arrive was such a relief!   Now we're waiting on RD for 5 more,  Congratulations to all that have been accepted already! 

sidenote: Susan in Tn  - my oldest dd has applied to Belmont & has an audition scheduled for Feb 8., also for the composition major.  If your son happens to be there on the Feb 8th date maybe they'll meet!  Glad he got his acceptance.  She hasn't yet, although her audition is confirmed :confused1: .

sidenote: Susan in Tn - my oldest dd has applied to Belmont & has an audition scheduled for Feb 8., also for the composition major. If your son happens to be there on the Feb 8th date maybe they'll meet! Glad he got his acceptance. She hasn't yet, although her audition is confirmed :confused1: .

Well rats - ds's audition is January 25th. What is your dd's instrument/voice? Ds is auditioning on double bass. I was a bit worried about getting an acceptance notice (or not) since his only available audition date is the 25th, but he finally got his letter last week. I think it can take quite a while - bah.