Menu

Class of 2014 college acceptances

hsbeth

I know it's early, but we got our first acceptance in this week. I didn't see a similar thread started yet so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

We heard this week that dd was accepted to the University of Alabama. She plans to major in civil engineering and will do their honors college app this week.

Also working on apps for Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She's been invited to apply for Questbridge's college match program but I'm not sure she'll  do tha as she's happy with the choices already on her list.

UA is by far her first choice and should be more affordable than in state options because of their generous merit aid. Georgia Tech has the strongest program and most prestige but she doesn't feel the school is a good fit for her overall.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! My ds was also accepted to Alabama this week! We are holding off on the Honors College application until NMSF are announced. Their Honors College Application wants a resume to be uploaded, so we need to wait so that award can be officially listed. It is not my ds's first choice, but is a "safety" for him because of their generous merit scholarships.

^ I want to say mid-July, but I don't recall the exact date. It was not long after their app went live. He was accepted August 14th, so probably around a month. We did have to send his transcript twice. I guess it got misplaced the first time.

He applied to another school on the day their app went live on July 1st, but they do not start processing until September1st.

Congratulations!  It is nice to have that first acceptance in hand.  I think UA was middle son's a couple of years ago... their merit aid is nice and makes it a worthy safety IMO.

My youngest won't even be starting apps for at least another week or so.  This week is busy with middle son here for the first part, getting taken back to URoc in the middle, and school (here) starting, as well as youngest's job taking up many evening hours.  I'm glad he has his driver's license!  Since he's in ps I also want him to wait on apps to see if our school wants their CA accts set up a certain way.  I never had to ask with my two homeschoolers, but apparently, many schools do want a certain format to make it easier for them.

We do have plans in Oct to head south and finally visit some of the schools he likes.  He may or may not apply before then.

Hotty Toddy! University of Mississippi Acceptance #2!!! Actually, this one was there before Alabama's. Neither school sent an e-mail. So, let that be a heads-up/N.B. to those of you expecting e-mails. Apparently at some places you find out by logging into your account. When he checked his log-in at Alabama there were new tabs including an enrollment deposit and additional tabs for applying to the Honors College. He did receive a snail mail acceptance letter from Alabama today. A friend of mine who has an older daughter at Ole Miss said they will send snail mail acceptance letters at some point as well.

We applied over the 4th of July weekend, so about 5 weeks. It's a very short and easy app.

OK, that makes sense.

Almost all the schools on DD's list use the Common App that only opened on 8/1 and was still not fully functional last weekend, and the two that have their own app don't open apps until September... so we are just starting the process.

We haven't even begun the process -- like Regentrude's dd, my dd is applying to schools that either use the Common App or have their own application that won't be up until September 1. Acceptances are in our VERY distant future. (Dd is applying as a music major, and though she will apply under every "priority app" and EA option available, she won't hear from most until February at the earliest. Even the two schools that she is applying to that do EA don't give acceptances to music majors until mid-Frebruary!!!)

We have designated September 1 as "Get to Know Your Applications Day" in our house! (Plenty of tea and chocolate required! And watching that old Pink Panther movie we've been talking about seeing would be an appropriate ending to a dismal day!)

Congratulations to all who have acceptances already! Hurrah!

We haven't even begun the process --

We have sort of dipped our toes in....pulling things together, ds writing rough drafts, etc, but not actual applying.   Glad to know we aren't the only ones!  I have too much life going on right now to focus on this.   I like the idea of making Labor Day our "application day."   Dh will be home and he can entertain while ds and I work.   I'm going to run it past him.

Congrats on the acceptances.   :)

Congrats to you both and your kids! I remember the excitement we felt when ds got his first acceptance last year! Yay!!

Just a side note, we saw ds' first acceptance when we logged on to his account to check for something else and saw his status as "admitted". A letter came snail mail about three weeks later. Knowing that, we checked his other schools about once every day, and sure enough, he found out online two or three weeks before the snail mail letters came. None of the schools sent an e-mail until well after the snail mail letters had been sent. The e-mail was more of a 'just in case' you didn't get the actual letter worded like "by now you should have received".

• 3 weeks later...

Acceptance #3 arrived yesterday: The University of Arkansas.

Bama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas are our three safety schools. At this point, ds is only in the universities themselves - he still must apply to their respective Honors Colleges and fill out some scholarship info. My understanding is that Alabama's is pretty straightforward - he applied to their Honors College this past week, but (obviously) has not yet heard back. I think Arkansas' Honors College is also pretty straightforward - meaning that it is pretty cut and dry that one will be accepted based on grades and test scores. Ole Miss is a bit different. They only accept around 320 per year into their Honors College, and I believe that last year around 1,200 applied. So, not a given. We are visiting there at the end of this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have two so far, University of South Dakota and Bellarmine University (Louisville KY).  Still have scholarship applications for those schools to do.

Congratulations to all!  I remember when ds1 was 6 and looking at these threads....so inspiring to me!  It still is.

• 2 weeks later...

DD has been accepted to University of Minnesota.

Congratulations to your DD  :thumbup:

My Ds and I went to a college fair last weekend and spoke at length to the UMN rep. Ds got very excited about the school. If you don't mind me asking, did your DD apply with only the standard required info (SAT/GPA and application), or did she send in add'l homeschooling info like course descriptions, book lists etc.,? This rep wasn't an expert on homeschool applicants so I was curious what worked administratively.  :001_smile:  TIA!

:party:  And Congrats to all on the acceptances - so exciting to hear the good news!

College acceptance number 2. Embry-Riddle in Prescott, AZ. I actually logged on to see if my son's recommendations made it to the school. His status was listed as: admitted. It was a strange way to find out, though they actually called and told him today. I guess they'll send a letter soon.

That is a great aerospace eng school. I knows few people graduated there. Very well respected school. Congrates

My Ds and I went to a college fair last weekend and spoke at length to the UMN rep. Ds got very excited about the school. If you don't mind me asking, did your DD apply with only the standard required info (SAT/GPA and application), or did she send in add'l homeschooling info like course descriptions, book lists etc.,? This rep wasn't an expert on homeschool applicants so I was curious what worked administratively. 

I sent a homeschool transcript and, as a supporting document, our school profile (2 pages) and course descriptions (8 pages).

I have no idea whether this made any difference. DD is very high stats and has been actively courted by the school: personal phone call by a student, hand written post card from the student as follow up, application fee waiver (in addition to the run-of-the-mill printed advertising).

We've got 4/4 acceptances in hand: Dordt College, Covenant College, LeTourneau, and University of Alabama at Birmingham. Now comes the fun part: seeing who will give us the most $$$, and if his ACT taken today will get him full tuition at UAB. He's thinking engineering or computer science at this point.

He was selected as a QuestBridge Scholar last year, and I really, REALLY wanted him to apply to UVa as a QuestBridge Match candidate. He decided he didn't want to be bound so early. He's really hoping Dordt or Covenant come up with enough scholarship $$ to cover tuition.

And on a side note: even though we are Alabama residents, he most EMPHATICALLY refused to apply to either Univ of Alabama or Auburn University. He loathes the whole football culture here (we're transplants from CT) and told me he wouldn't enjoy being on those campuses. Oh, well.

Best to all who are now in the scholarship hunt! Time for the REAL fun!

DS has heard from 4 of his 6 schools, all that are on rolling admissions. The schools he's been accepted to are University of Kentucky, West Virginia University, Murray State U and Jacksonville State U and he's waiting to hear from Ohio State University. He still needs to fill out the application for University of Memphis. :blink:  The common thread running through these schools is that they each have a rifle team and each has expressed interest in DS joining their team. This entire college recruiting process still seems surreal to me since this wasn't even on our radar 15 months ago.

Besides visiting schools, meeting rifle team members and talking with coaches we're hunting scholarship money too, oh, and trying to stay current on school work. :lol:  

Mine was already admitted to Texas A&M and Baylor. But, I doubt either school will give her the financial aid she needs. 

We're still waiting to hear about Baylor; did your student apply early admission?

Mine has been admitted to Texas A&M, too, as well as Abilene Christian University. ACU has offered dd a couple of significant merit scholarships and she's in the running for the Presidential Scholarship. They will stack the merit scholarships plus any outside scholarships she receives.

Update:  Ds will be playing basketball for Mines.  We received his official National Letter of Intent today.  See the story of his athletic journey here. :party:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!

and Sue, your new icon in your siggy made me laugh out loud. I always thought the "freaking out" icon was funny, but this one is of course even better :D

Update:  Ds will be playing basketball for Mines.  We received his official National Letter of Intent today.  See the story of his athletic journey here. :party:

Congratulations, Sue!! And congratulations to your ds!!  Hooray! :) :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!

and Sue, your new icon in your siggy made me laugh out loud. I always thought the "freaking out" icon was funny, but this one is of course even better :D

And I totally agree with the above--love your new siggy icon (and loved the previous one as well!)  Isn't it just a wonderful feeling to have the whole college decision thing sewn up and in the bag? Esp when it turns out so beautifully...  Whew! :) 

You know, I'm there - last one went off to college this fall - and somehow, I'm still waiting to need those sunglasses lol. Adult children come with bigger, more harrowing problems. And one's own parents begin to need one. And one's nephews. And a girlfriend or two. And...

Don't get your hopes too high GRIN ...

Nan

Another college acceptance in the mail today, from California Baptist Univeristy. It came in a cute box with a window cling, fancy brochure, and a t-shirt. :)

Anyway, it said he was accepted "with honors." If that involves more classes and work, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Guess we'll figure it out if he actually chooses that college.

Baylor. So far that's the only school to which he has finished application. Nice merit scholarship but not sure if we want to pay almost double what it would cost to go to our state school. Interestingly they are ranked 5 and 6 in a field of his interest. With 3 in college every dollar counts.

He discovered his acceptance when logging into his GoBaylor account. A few days later he got a lovely green envelop with gold stickers which contained a certificate of acceptance. He was duly impressed :)

Another college acceptance in the mail today, from California Baptist Univeristy. It came in a cute box with a window cling, fancy brochure, and a t-shirt. :)

Anyway, it said he was accepted "with honors." If that involves more classes and work, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Guess we'll figure it out if he actually chooses that college.

Congratulations!!!

The men's chorale from CBU sang at our church recently, and they were awesome. (They come every year.) I have tried to interest my boys in applying to CBU, to no avail ... oh well!