Menu

A Start

A.Balaban

My DS is four. At three, I wanted to start some Pre-K but he was very resistant, so I backed off. We didn't even get through one page in OPGTR. I've mentioned before on this forum how much I have struggled with him, learning to say his name, learning to count to five, it has been a very uphill battle. I was worried I had wasted money, not cut out for this, and was considering putting my son in Preschool. 

The other night, after dinner, I pulled out OPGTR and sat down with both kids. My DS went through the entire lesson perfect, went through a 2-page spread in ETC, and I had him recite a prayer line by line after me. My DD ended up running off after about 2 minutes, but somehow she already knows most of her letters and the sounds. 

Last three days, we've gone over a lesson of OPGTR a day and it feels like a huge success.  

So, I am enjoying this small victory... even though he's only on lesson 3 of OPGTR. I think both of us are really enjoying "school" 

On a side note- my two year old wants to "do school" Well, she turns 3 in 3 weeks. She is very bright, but I need to keep her "busy" so she can focus. For example, I can show her the letter "A" card from OPGTR and she knows that is the letter "A", and then I ask her what sound that makes she can say "ah!" but she doesn't seem to be able to recite the little poem even if I break it up -- should I just give her a picture of an "A" to color? She is so enthusiastic I feel like I should try something with her - but I am not sure what. 

Perhaps instead of the poems, you can have your daughter recite nursery rhymes. If she is resistant to learning by repeating after you, you could let her learn from Youtube. We spent about a year studying nursery rhymes. It usually took my daughter a week to memorise each one, but she has a language disorder.