Menu

Whole book high school literature program?

You might want to check out Novel Units (secular) or Progeny Press (Christian) literature guides.  You can choose the books you want and then they really walk you through going over them with your students.  I used several of them for sd when she was in high school and now we have a mom who uses them in our co-op to teach a lit class.  You can find almost all the greats including Shakespeare.  I highly recommend them. 

You might want to check out Novel Units (secular) or Progeny Press (Christian) literature guides.  You can choose the books you want and then they really walk you through going over them with your students.  I used several of them for sd when she was in high school and now we have a mom who uses them in our co-op to teach a lit class.  You can find almost all the greats including Shakespeare.  I highly recommend them. 

Thank you, I had not heard of Novel Units.    I have not used Progeny Press at the high school level--- not in a couple of years at least since I tried one of the younger ones.      I didn't even think of these. Thank you!

I would recommend Hewitt's Lightning Lit. Most of their high school units use 4 novels, plus they include poetry & short stories in the course manual. The manuals include comprehension questions and suggested writing assignments. My son really liked these. The manuals also provide background material on each author/work.

I tried a couple of the Novel Units, and we were not impressed. These seemed short on actual content and very long on busy work -- lots of worksheets for vocabulary, etc. They seemed much more suited to classroom use.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

This will be our 2nd year to use Excellence in Literature. I use it as a guideline and it does offer a nice selection of books. The instructions seem a little awkward at first but once you get used to the layout it's not a problem.