Menu

A good book?

SeekingSimplicity

I don't know how cerebral they are, but Lisa Lutz's series about the Spellman family are some of my favorite light reading.

They have a loving family with just enough dysfunction to suit me, sarcasm and humor, a touch of mystery, and Dr. Who discussions.

:P

When I want to relax I read fairy tales or light fantasy. 

The Night Circus

The Book of Lost Things

some Terry Pratchett

the Thursday Next series

Or more realistically

The Housekeeper and the Professor

The Monster of Florence

The Book of Lost THings looks interesting.  And I've never read Terry Pratchett, so I'll check those out. Which of his books should I start with?

I am definitely not well versed in the Discworld, but I do know that the novels are not in a sequence and that they tend to center around certain characters (so you have the novels about the City Watch and the novels about the Witches, and Death, Wizards, etc.). 

I liked Guards!Guards! (first of the City Watch novels). Its the first one I read all the way through and a lot of other (more knowledgeable) people recommend it. I'm usually not a sword and sorcery fantasy person, but Pratchett is kind of absurdist which makes him interesting. 

Here's a link to a short story with the witches to give you an idea of his style and humor. http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm

I really enjoyed it and tried to follow it with Wyrd Sisters (which was ok, maybe it just didn't read aloud as well as Guards!Guards!). 

Game of Thrones by GeorgeR.R. Martin. It's the beginning of a series called something about Ice and Fire. Truly excellent books. I read them more than a year ago and haven't read anything that even comes close since!

Oh, that's one I had meant to read then forgot about!  Thanks for reminding me.  Definitely want to try that one.

If you like Borges (& Poe & mysteries), I read a great little mystery called Borges and the Eternal Orangutangs by Luis Fernando Verissimo.

Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books are fun. The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

All Men are Liars by Alberto Manguel.

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki.

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.