Menu

SOTW the 2nd time around (logic stage) and a timeline question

Janna

I am starting SOTW for the 2nd time around for my 10yo dd, and the 1st time around for 6.5yo ds. I am so happy to be studying the same book at the same time!

My question is, what exactly do I do? I'm assuming that I would go ahead and read the chapters to them together, but after that, they need different things (or don't they?). I was assuming that after dd read the SOTW chapter, she would then read out of the Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the World and/or the Usborne World History book for the corresponding events. But then what? Do I have her write a report as part of her writing curriculum? Do I ask her the same review questions that ds would get? Would she still do the mapwork (again) that ds would do? How do we go deeper than we did the first time around?

Also, we've never done a time-line before. I really, really want to do one. Do you have any that you would recommend? I would take suggestions for wall time-lines and book time-lines. The only book one I've seen is the "Wonders of Old" book. I haven't seen any wall ones. Would a time-line and the additional reading described above be sufficient?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

That's what we'll begin doing soon. I'm going to do SOTW with older and younger just like if I were only doing it with the younger and then give the older assignments like decribed in TWTM using the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History. Of course, we'll do recommended reading and if older ds is interested he can do some activity pages and projects from the activity guide. HTH :)

We are in the same boat here. I have a 10 year old going through SOTW2 for the 2nd time and an 8 year old coming at it for the first. Now I am still in the planning stages, so I can't completely answer your question, but I can tell you what I'm planning to do.

My 10 year old is an avid reader, so I intend to use sources such as the Veritas Press and Sonlight catalogs and Honey for a Child's Heart to beef up the reading for her. (So far I've got Beowulf and Otto of the Silver Hand...that type of thing.) I will also schedule in some outlining from the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. We are completing the Remedia outlining book which is reommended in TWTM this summer, so hopefully this will come more easily for her than it did last year. I am not going to have her do too much writing, as we are doing CW Homer this year and she's not in love with the idea of writing :001_smile:

We will continue with the maps offered in SOTW, but I was thinking I could have her do more than is asked of her in the AG.

As far as timelines, we have been using the History Through the Ages Record of Time book put out by Amy Pak at Homeschool in the Woods. We absolutely LOVE it. I like being able to have all 4 years of our history rotation in one book, and the illustrations are wonderfully detailed and described. I highly recommend it!

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your year!

have you looked at Biblioplan? It has "everyone" doing SOTW together, and then additional readings listed. The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia is for youngers and Kingfisher is for olders. There are also "in-depth" history readings as well. On top of that, there are readers for 3 age levels (K-2, 3-5, 5+) AND a read-aloud! Timeline suggestions as well! Sorry, but I am really glad to have made this $30 purchase for the schedule!

I actually got a timeline book that I'm going to use from PHP at convention. I'm having my son outline from SOTW. Since I only have one child I'm teaching now, I will actually read from the encyclopedias and then allow him to read from SOTW on his own, before outlining, but I think doing it the other way round is just as good. I will have other, extra reading for him on topic for the week and have planned for him to write reports in some weeks on particular people or events, etc. I do plan on doing the map work with him again, but perhaps adding some additional things to it. I do use the questions as ideas for discussing what we've read. I bought the tests to use this time round, as well.

As far as timelines, we have been using the History Through the Ages Record of Time book put out by Amy Pak at Homeschool in the Woods. We absolutely LOVE it. I like being able to have all 4 years of our history rotation in one book, and the illustrations are wonderfully detailed and described. I highly recommend it!

:iagree: I second the recommendation for the Record of Time book, and its placement guide, and Amy Pak's timeline figures. Here is a link:

www.homeschoolinthewoods.com

That's what we'll begin doing soon. I'm going to do SOTW with older and younger just like if I were only doing it with the younger and then give the older assignments like decribed in TWTM using the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History. Of course, we'll do recommended reading and if older ds is interested he can do some activity pages and projects from the activity guide. HTH :)

I haven't read the other posts, so, forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already said.

Do you own TWTM? The History chapter in logic stage gives specifics to doing history TWTM way.

Basically, for logic stage it's: outlining from the Kingfisher or Usborne book, writing narrations/summaries from other sources, reading related literature or non-fiction and completing the mapwork and timeline. She also recommends adding in primary sources.

SWB provides a suggested schedule in the book on pages 291-292 and 300-301.

For intergrating both kiddo's, I'd do something like this:

M/W: Read aloud section in SOTW to both, discuss via comprehension questions in the AG, and do map work. The 10 you should then outline the corresponding section in Kingfisher/Usborne, and read other related fiction/nonfiction.

F: Compete timeline and a written narration/summary, and/or use the Peacehill Press tests. You could do a hands on project for both kiddo's via the AG.

I think you have a few choices regarding whether you want to do written summaries, outlining or use the tests. Whatever works best for you.

HTH, Stacy

Gosh, that sounds just like what I posted, only in more detail.

I'm assuming this post was actually meant for Janna (?) :001_smile:

I haven't read the other posts, so, forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already said.

Do you own TWTM? The History chapter in logic stage gives specifics to doing history TWTM way.

Basically, for logic stage it's: outlining from the Kingfisher or Usborne book, writing narrations/summaries from other sources, reading related literature or non-fiction and completing the mapwork and timeline. She also recommends adding in primary sources.

SWB provides a suggested schedule in the book on pages 291-292 and 300-301.

For intergrating both kiddo's, I'd do something like this:

M/W: Read aloud section in SOTW to both, discuss via comprehension questions in the AG, and do map work. The 10 you should then outline the corresponding section in Kingfisher/Usborne, and read other related fiction/nonfiction.

F: Compete timeline and a written narration/summary, and/or use the Peacehill Press tests. You could do a hands on project for both kiddo's via the AG.

I think you have a few choices regarding whether you want to do written summaries, outlining or use the tests. Whatever works best for you.

HTH, Stacy