Menu

Can't decide on science for 8th

We started with Exploration Education Advanced this summer for 8th, but ds hated it.  He is not a hands-on kid and never has been.  He actually cried as a toddler when we tried finger-painting.  He hates experiments, period, and science just really isn't his thing.  He asked if we could skip it this year.  Um, NO!

Fortunately, EE has a wonderful return policy, and I was able to return the program for a full refund.  We had even used three weeks of the book and the projects.  That is great customer service.

I have found Apologia Physical Science with the Rusty Hughes dvd on the classifieds and have the student notebook.  Ds was okay with Apologia General last year, but didn't love it.  I am hoping that if we go with this, the dvds will keep him interested, but in the past he has disliked anything we have used with dvds: Essentials in Writing, IEW SWI, and MUS.  I still make him use MUS since the videos are short, but we ditched the other programs.  Also, since the experiments will be done on the dvds, I would probably only have him do a few, but do the lab reports for them all.  Of course, if he hates them we can drop the dvds (except the labs) and stick with the text and notebook.

Then, I have a couple of AIG God's Design for Science books.  I know they say they are good for 8th grade, but I just struggle with this being proper preparation for high school science.  I like that the readings are short.  I could have him write out the answers to all of the questions and do the worksheets.  I probably would only have him do a few experiments since he really dislikes them.  And, since the readings are short, I think he could easily do two some days, therefore getting through several books in a year.  But, I still wonder if it will get him where he needs to be.  Of course, we may head towards Biology 101 with the added things they recommend for a full credit or ACE Biology for 9th.

What would you do for a science-hating kid?

What would you do for a science-hating kid?

For a science hating kid, my first priority would be to change this attitude and make him find his curiosity again.

I would ditch all textbooks and workbooks and schoolish programs. Something like this must have caused his science hate in the first place - because all little kids are curious and want to find out how the world works (and that is exactly what science does.)

I would make sure to give him some science background through reading non-fiction books, watching documentaries, going to nature centers, studying rocks, going to planetarium shows, watching science presentations at the nearest university...interest led, with lots of input from him.

He will have to study science through high school, and that is the time for a more systematic approach. It will not matter what he has covered in 8th grade, but it will matter a great deal what kind of attitude he has developed. I would address this more than anything else.

ETA: Not being hands-on and not liking experiments does not mean one can not love science. I hate experiments, but am a physicist. My kids despise hands-on activities, but my DD will major in physics.

Ditch the hands-on projects, too, along with the textbooks ;-)

For a science hating kid, my first priority would be to change this attitude and make him find his curiosity again.

I would ditch all textbooks and workbooks and schoolish programs. Something like this must have caused his science hate in the first place - because all little kids are curious and want to find out how the world works (and that is exactly what science does.)

I would make sure to give him some science background through reading non-fiction books, watching documentaries, going to nature centers, studying rocks, going to planetarium shows, watching science presentations at the nearest university...interest led, with lots of input from him.

He will have to study science through high school, and that is the time for a more systematic approach. It will not matter what he has covered in 8th grade, but it will matter a great deal what kind of attitude he has developed. I would address this more than anything else.

ETA: Not being hands-on and not liking experiments does not mean one can not love science. I hate experiments, but am a physicist. My kids despise hands-on activities, but my DD will major in physics.

Ditch the hands-on projects, too, along with the textbooks ;-)

I have put off responding to this in order to have time to think about what we have done in the past and evaluate how I have handled science.  Admittedly, it is not my favorite subject, so I was fearful that I had instilled this attitude. 

Until last year, 7th, we have never done a formal science program.  In fact, we did little science and yet, ds picked up some general knowledge.  We used living books through HOD or MFW, but often skipped even those because he was uninterested.  He was never the type of kid to explore nature.  The only type of science he has ever been interested in is technology.  He has loved it since he was a toddler.  At age five, we moved.  We had a TV, dvr, vhs, and dvd player all connected in the living room.  He disconnected it at the old house and reconnected everything at the new house, plus programmed it all.  He knows the history of most electronic devices, which he researched himself.  He can take apart our desktop and do basic repairs, again self-taught.  By five he could also easily figure out any software on pretty much any device, even one he had never seen.  He built his own TV antennae with wire and other things around the house.  It actually worked pretty well.  But, make anything "school" and all interest is lost.  This applies to all subjects and always has.  I didn't start school with him until age six.  He has never liked school, period.  I have tried to make school fun, but he doesn't see it that way no matter what I do.  He would prefer to be doing his own thing.  He has no LDs, just wants to get school over with and get back to what he wants to do.  I purchased a computer programming course, and it has sat for a year.  He is free to use it or not, but since he sees it as "school," he has chosen NOT.

So, mostly, science has been self-led around here with the exception of a handful of living books that I have done with all of the kids.  During trips to the zoo, aquarium, museum, etc., he flies through and looks at nothing.  He may point to something and say that it's cool, but that is the end of his interest.  When we go to the library for books based on interests, he will never choose science topics.  If made to, he would pick technology topics. 

Last year, I decided that it was time that science was required.  I let him choose between The Rainbow, BJU, Lifepacs, Abeka, Apoloiga, and some other things that were at our hs store.  He chose Apologia.  While he didn't love it, I didn't hear too much complaining.  I took him to our convention this year in order to choose for 8th.  He looked at everything there and always said he would stick with Apologia, until he saw Exploration Education.  The bells and whistles drew him in.  I should have known better since I know he has no patience with hands-on activities, but when his eyes lit up, I had to at least try.  After a couple of weeks, he was so frustrated with all of the building and tedious projects that he begged me to switch.  Funny how he can work with delicate electronic parts with no such frustration.

Anyway, I don't know what else to try in order to create an interest in science with him.  I feel like I have tried your recommendations and it hasn't worked.  I don't think all kids have an interest in all science, or any at all.  I also don't think I can just allow him to ONLY study techology/computer for the only science for his remaining school career.  He does need other things for college entrance.  So, don't I just need to find the least painful materials to get those other topics covered?

Thanks for the extra information.   I designed a program for another WTMer who had a similar problem, and it is worth your time to look at it.  Obviously, it won't fit your student exactly, but it might help you think out of the box. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/435374-ruth-more-questions/?do=findComment&comment=4436605

Ruth in NZ

What about a different approach for science...like hiring a tutor, finding a few more kids to do a class together? 

My daughter has done this for several years now and she very much enjoys it.  The class meets for 2 hours once a week, there are 8 girls in it.  The teacher is not me, so totally different dynamic.  They use a Smithsonian curriculum that has been very good.  There is usually a homework assignment and reading that happens outside the class.  Inside the class there is a small lecture, hands on experiment that the kids do together and the nice part is that they compare results, work as teams etc.  They write a paper or two a year and work with partners to do a presentation once a year.  It has been a really nice format. 

Or, would it be possible to find a mentor and your son could do something that seems more worthwhile to him while still learning? 

If money is an issue, could you invite a few of his friends over and you be the teacher?  I am doing this with Real Science 4 Kids with another child of mine and it is working great. 

Or what if you pursue offbeat topics in science that he finds more interesting...like ummmm Genetics or Astronomy or Semiconductor design?  Most schools put technology into the same category as other STEM subjects--so I wouldn't worry too much if he is that into computers. 

:)

Kristin

(Maya-13, Jonah-10, Simon-5)