Menu

preparing for ps 3rd grade

I was pushing to get my son on level with the school by the time school started this year. I had a spat with them last year because they wanted to move him back a grade instead of catching him up.  So I'm still homeschooling him, but we had to slow down because he needed more time to learn to read. He's doing OK, he's just taking a little longer. So we're in the last few weeks of MP 1. I was going to go on to MP 2 after this, but I really need to put him in school next year and to do so he needs to be up to 3rd grade level. We may really be pushing it at this rate. 

Any advice? 

Get your state standards in Language Arts and Math for 2nd and 3rd grade and plan around that.

For math, addition and subtraction facts have to be solid as multiplication drills start in 3rd grade. he would have to be able to read his own math worksheets.

For language arts, independent reading for worksheets, lots more writing, proofreading and spelling.

Kids do get pull out for reading intervention during language arts lessons at the public school here so you might want to check how it is like.

Here teachers are used to kids being independent by 2nd grade so it really depends on how accommodating your assigned public school's 3rd grade teachers are.

I would just let him go down a grade and chock it up as a learning year.  With so many kids being red shirted, it's unlikely that he'll be the oldest.  And being older can be an advantage.  It's not so much about his intelligence as it is about his experiences.

If he's not able to meet the majority of the end of second grade benchmarks by Aug, then I would consider having him evaluated by the school for lds. But if he is ok on most things, I would just consider him a low-average third grader. They will work with him, and it isn't like he's the only one.

Is he still 7? My just turned 9 yo daughter is going into 3rd. She was in ps since mid-k and her age wasn't a problem. She wasn't the oldest. She was delayed in learning to read and this was where she needed to be grade wise.

If it is a month you have, well, maybe you could blast thru something like logic of English? But he might not grap it that fast anyway...

Have you requested any testing?

Good luck!

Unless you live in one of the states that did not adopt Common Core, I would check out the main site to understand what he would be going back to.  If you are intent upon sending him back to ps, you need to consider the social aspects of being in 3rd grade at such a young age.  You need to think past age 7 and consider what his life will be like in high school. The difference between ages 7 and 9 are nothing compared to ages 13 and 16. 

Are you putting him back in the same elementary school where you had so many problems?  Weren't they wanting to push him back to K or 1st?  Are you going to be able to just enroll him in 3rd grade or are you possibly looking at testing for placement?  The start of the school year is very close, so I'm not sure how much additional progress any child could make in such a short space of time.  I have a lot of questions, but no magic solution unfortunately. 

How long do you have until your school year starts? 

Do I understand you right that you want to have him in the school in less than a month?

I agree with farrar.

Oh, no. I have til Aug of next year. It's just that unless he hits some developmental milestone and takes off with this, I dont' think we'll finish second by then.  We're behind schedule now, having slowed down to accommodate his pace. I had wanted to be at 2nd grade now, and we still have several weeks of first.  I can see us getting about a semester behind overall so it will be difficult to put him in 3rd next fall.

He will be 8 next month, and almost 9 when he is supposed to go into 3rd. 

Just keep going then decide next year whether he is best as an above average 2nd grader or a slightly behind 3rd grader. Discuss it with him. And he may improve dramatically. My slightly dyslexic younger brother went from being one of the worst readers in the class to the best at about that age.

Oh, no. I have til Aug of next year. It's just that unless he hits some developmental milestone and takes off with this, I dont' think we'll finish second by then.  We're behind schedule now, having slowed down to accommodate his pace. I had wanted to be at 2nd grade now, and we still have several weeks of first.  I can see us getting about a semester behind overall so it will be difficult to put him in 3rd next fall.

He will be 8 next month, and almost 9 when he is supposed to go into 3rd. 

I'm so glad you have a full year.  I really think you will get there if you just keep plugging away.  I agree with the others that when reading clicks for kids, they will suddenly take off.  The only thing I would suggest is maybe doing two sessions for the basics everyday.  Instead of doing one long reading and math session in the morning, you can try splitting it up.  Do a shorter math lesson in the morning and then another math lesson in the afternoon.  Do a short reading time in the morning, another short reading time in the afternoon, and a session with daddy in the evening.  I think it can really help with rate of progress without being overwhelming to the child.  Good luck.

Since you have over a year, I think you are borrowing trouble.  It's good to look and think ahead, but kids grow and change SO MUCH in the course of a year.  My child who was reading CAT SAT at the beginning of last year has just about finished The Wizard of Oz.  My other child who was reading CAT SAT is about at Frog and Toad.  You never know what they will do, and as long as you keep exposing them, challenging them, but having fun, it'll click eventually.

If you think there are vision or developmental issues getting in the way, then I'd look into testing for that stuff, but still keep doing what you do. :)