Menu

Making some college decisions

SeekingSimplicity

For myself and would like some feedback.  I'm starting my last semester of a tech degree in finance. I'm also picking up an office certificate because 1. I already had most of the classes and 2. The extra three classes I'm taking to get it are giving me the hrs I needed to keep my financial aid. 

But when I made this decision, I was thinking I would never go any further than to get an associates. It's taken me 20 years to get this one LOL.  But I've recently discovered that there is a good university here that will take 36 of my tech hours, and I could turn this degree into a general business or business with a concentration in management information systems. MIS sounds more interesting to me but I'd get thru general business quicker. Or there's even a BS or BS in communications, but I'm not sure what I'd do with that. 

The thing is, I only have 2 semesters of pell left. If I go on, the office certificate will not be real useful. It could be if I don't go on, but if I do, there's no real reason to get it. I could be wasting my time when I could be taking comp II, a science and stats. Or I could just go ahead as planned, have a fairly easy semester, graduate with my degree and certificate, then worry about my comp and sciences when I get there. 

With my marriage heading toward divorce, the only thing I"m really thinking right now is, hurry up get a job, be able to support myself. I need a little help seeing beyond that to what I really need to do with my education. 

… But when I made this decision, I was thinking I would never go any further than to get an associates. It's taken me 20 years to get this one LOL.  â€¦

I'm not going to try to offer any advice, but I do want to say "Well Done and Congratulations" for persevering!!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

what is the job placement outlook with your associate's degree? If it is good, I'd be inclined to say get the job and attempt to find a company that offers education benefits so you can go further without incurring debt. 

That's something I hadn't considered and should!  The job market here is tough. It's a small town with a college that has a population the size of a small town. But I'm really hoping to get on at a bank. My instructor keeps trying to get me to go into insurance.

That's something I hadn't considered and should!  The job market here is tough. It's a small town with a college that has a population the size of a sm 

Is the college in town the school that offers the 4 year degree you were thinking about. Most universities offer a tuition benefit of 3 or 6 a year. You may want to find if the school offers such benefits and see if you can land a job there. 

Is the college in town the school that offers the 4 year degree you were thinking about. Most universities offer a tuition benefit of 3 or 6 a year. You may want to find if the school offers such benefits and see if you can land a job there. 

No, it's a different college about 30mi past that one.  The classes will be all online, so I won't have to drive down there

What will the office certificate help you do?  Do you know of any local job opportunities that give preference to candidates with that type of certificate?  IME certificates aren't usually worth a whole lot (meaning, they don't really give you an edge over other candidates) unless they are very specialized.

Because of the state of the economy, employers are increasingly looking for candidates with 4 year degrees.  Even for jobs that previously only required a high school diploma.  When they have 50-100 applicants for every job, they can afford to be more selective.

It might be helpful to map out both your short-term and long-term employment goals and prospects.  That will help you make a better informed decision about college than if you look at only your short-term or long-term goals.

For example, you mentioned wanting to get a job at the bank.  So your short-term/long-term goals might look like this:

- Short-term goal: get job as bank teller.  Requires: Associates degree.  Goal: finish A.S. degree

- Long-term goal: be promoted to management position at bank.  Requires:  B.S. in Business.  Goal: skip office certificate and go back for B.S. degree. Look into tuition reimbursement through bank.