Menu

Ideas for Non-Fiction

With two years to go with our last student, I don't want to buy a lot of curriculum.  We have lots of good books that we can use for health, life skills -- electives.  Other than chapter summaries, outlining and/or listing key points, what else can we do with these books?  I want to do more with them than just read.

Depends on your goals. What are you hoping to accomplish by "doing more" than just reading?

You can always add researching the author's background, the subject background and ramifications, find related literature, listen to lectures and talks on related subjects, go to readings by the authors, discuss the book in a group setting... but I think you need to have a clear goal, otherwise that's just busy work.

Thank you for the reply.  The idea of goal gave me some direction, but I am wondering how others on the board use non-fiction materials as part of the courses they put together, and what, if any, output is required?  For example, a health course using a variety of materials; i.e. dvds, lectures, articles.