Menu

Miller-Levine Bio: Dragonfly vs Macaw

When I compared prices, it cost more to buy the book, TM, and lab manual in the dragonfly edition, than it did to buy the macaw edition new and get the TM, lab manual, tests and additional online resources for free.

Okay, good to know. I'm not sure that we would use the lab manual but I haven't looked at the content. I was leaning heavily towards another one, The Illustrated something-or-other, and the corresponding lab kit. I really prefer a print teacher's edition to digital format. Hmm...

The illustrated guide you can download free and I think it has better labs. :)

There is a significant change in the classification unit. I don't think the dragonfly edition has the chapter on Clades and cladograms. I think that is the only major change between the editions though. You could certainly add in a little coverage to introduce the topic and that is really all the Macaw edition does.

If you strongly prefer paper, go dragonfly. You can work out the resources. 

We used the Dragonfly edition last year and our ds enjoyed it. 

As I mentioned in another post, I ordered double of several components of the Dragonfly edition, on accident.  If you're having trouble finding some of them,

or you want to save some money, let me know.  I can give you a good deal on some of them.

Thanks.

There is a test book available through Amazon.  The book starts at $31.  It has two tests for each chapter (Test A is more thorough, with more essay-type questions, and Test B, which is still thorough but doesn't have as many essay questions).  It also includes unit tests and final exams.  Look under, "Prentice Hall, Biology: Chapter Tests, Levels A and B."  It's a paperback.

This is what we used.  I had our ds use the Study Workbook A and he took Test B for each chapter. 

It worked well for him.

HTH.

I actually own two of the dragonfly textbooks, one that I'd like to sell (hardcover, in excellent condition), for $15.  I don't have Paypal but can pack it up and put it in the

mail the day I receive payment.

The manuals that go with it (study workbooks, test book, lab manual) can all be found at Amazon.

Pm me or email me at jpklehm@comcast.net.

Thanks.

ps. FWIW, the Dragonfly edition had 40 chapters, but the newer Macaw has 35. IMHO, the Macaw organization better reflects current thought on what is important for a survey bio course.

Also, 35 chapters is a lot more convenient to schedule over a 36 week school year than a 40 chapter book. One chapter a week, and there you go. :)