Menu

Grain-free casserole or crockpot recipes?

Scrub Jay

Well, it's not exactly a complete meal, but would honey-baked lentils qualify? They are SO delish. 

http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/10/honey-baked-lentils.html (my favorite, I make with chunks of sweet potato in it too)

or 

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-baked-lentils-58598

OH! This one is popular here, though it does involve pounding the chicken first, and frying it up a bit on both sides before baking. I always make a big panful, though, and it's enough for dinner and then lunch the next day. I've also made with fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers instead of tomatoes on some (I don't like tomatoes).

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/r/bl51212e.htm

I made these yesterday for my freezer (all will go into the crockpot day of serving):

Tandorri Chicken

Moroccoan Lentil Stew

chili (I assume you are not eliminating beans also??)

Lamb and white bean stew

Lamb and green bean stew

Hungarian Goulash (not the american version with pasta)

Beef Stew

Faijtas (serve over rice or on a salad instead of tortillas)

What about serving rice on the side? If so, then:

Honey Sesame Chicken

Mongolian Beef

I made these yesterday for my freezer (all will go into the crockpot day of serving):

Tandorri Chicken

Moroccoan Lentil Stew

chili (I assume you are not eliminating beans also??)

Lamb and white bean stew

Lamb and green bean stew

Hungarian Goulash (not the american version with pasta)

Beef Stew

Faijtas (serve over rice or on a salad instead of tortillas)

What about serving rice on the side? If so, then:

Honey Sesame Chicken

Mongolian Beef

If you're able to, I would love any of these recipes or links to them. Especially the first two, sounds delish.

Do you have a separate freezer?

If you're able to, I would love any of these recipes or links to them. Especially the first two, sounds delish.

Do you have a separate freezer?

No separate freezer. I cleaned out some space in my side by side. I froze more than that, but it took about 2 1/2 shelves.

Here is the Morroccon lentil stew:

Moroccan Lentil Stew:

-1 cup dried lentils

-1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed

-1 can other beans, drained & rinsed (I used white cannelinni beans)

-1 onion, chopped

-2 cups baby carrots

-1 can diced tomatoes, with juice

-4 cups vegetable broth

-2 tsp minced garlic

-2 tsp minced ginger

-1.5 tsp garam masala

-0.5 tsp cayenne pepper

-0.5 tsp cumin

-0.25 tsp nutmeg

-0.25 tsp cinnamon

Place all ingredients, except broth, in freezer bag. Freeze flat.

Thaw, dump in crockpot. Add vegetable broth.

Cook LOW 8 hours.

Tandorri Chicken:

2 lbs of chicken legs 

add: 3 T lemon juice, dash of orange food color (I use powder), 1/2 t mince garlic, 1/2 t crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, dash of seven spices (not the chinese version, find it in the middle east section), 2 T olive oil, salt

Just marinade in all, I then put it in the freezer, it will marinade as it deforsts then low in a crockpot till chicken is done.

I have some links to the other recipes on my pinterest board, I'll try to link it: http://pinterest.com/jiraki/recipes/

Let me know if that works. I'm trying to add all the ones I used so I don't lose them LOL.

OH! This one is popular here, though it does involve pounding the chicken first, and frying it up a bit on both sides before baking. I always make a big panful, though, and it's enough for dinner and then lunch the next day. I've also made with fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers instead of tomatoes on some (I don't like tomatoes).

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/r/bl51212e.htm

Um, YUM! This looks wonderful! I have bookmarked this recipe and will try it soon. But I'm also gonna saute a sliced yellow onion and add it atop the chicken, under the cheese. I can taste it now...

Thanks for sharing! I will also be watching this thread.

I am glad you bumped, Kat, I was trying to decide what's for dinner tonight. Time to try flipflop's mozarella chicken recipe. I'm thinking i can get away with just a big green salad on the side, and maybe some fresh cut veggies for my pickier kid.

ETA And some sweet tea. Trying to cut sugar here, BUT I always try to serve sweet tea with a new recipe. Somehow helps the kids be more forgiving if the recipe flops!

I just last week made Hawaiian bbq chicken that was delicious.  I just put 4 skinless boneless frozen breasts in the crockpot with some onion and peppers, then whisked together a bottle of sweet & tangy bbq sauce and a can of pineapple tidbits, and poured it over the top.  It took about 6 hours to cook to the point I could shred the chicken.  I ate it with roasted sweet potatoes, but it would be great over rice too.