Menu

What do you think about doing histoy like...

FO4UR

it's laid out in the curriculum plan here? http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/12/our-history-scope-and-sequence.html

I known this is a popular blog, and for good reason. I just wondered if anyone else does history like this - teaching world history and American History simultaneosly in the younger years?

Pros? Cons?

(tia from the mom of a Ker, planning for 1st....yes, I'm addicted to planning and "researching" curricula:tongue_smilie:)

I don't like that approach myself, because it treats American history as if the events happened on their own without any global cause or effect. They are taken out of context. For example, the Nat Turner Rebellion events and the white response to them make much more sense if you know about the rebellion in Haiti.

I prefer to study them as they occur in chronological history and spend extra time on events that are key to my country's history. For example, we paused at the Revolutionary War last year in SOTW and spent time learning more in depth. I'll do the same for the Civil War, and WWI and WWII this year.

Hi. We have been doing this, since I tried to find a way to use SOTW 3 with SL 3. We have continued to study American History 2 days per week, with World History 2 days. And we are using the Famous Men of ... series for our Classics. It has really worked out very well. My kids are 16, 10, 9, 7, and 5 now, and we are continuing American History this year (mostly focusing on the Presidents and their time in office), with SOTW 4 for Modern World History, and the Famous Men of Greece. My kids have really responded well, and love so many aspects of the different programs we use. I would be hard-pressed to find something to drop. With my little ones, we will begin the cycle again in January, with SOTW 1, biographies of famous Americans, and Greek Myths. I have found living books curriculum uses this type of approach (World plus American simultaneously).

We are going to do both this year. I have kids that came out of PS the first of last year and really hadn't had much history. I started SOTW Vol. 1 with my 9yo dd and The History of US for my 11yo ds. He loved reading the American History, but really enjoyed joining in with my dd in World History, also.

This year, we are doing SOTW Vol. 2 with separate "extra" reading selections and biographies for each child per ability. Then, I'm also starting an abbreviated American history up to the Colonial era for my dd to catch her up a bit. At that point, I would like my son to join us at least for the project, since he'll be a bit ahead of us reading.

I like the idea of learning both histories, as long as we really push the timelines and it's understood that US history is a very small part of the history of the world. Albeit, a very important one to us!

I like that site a lot and have it saved to favorites. I plan on trying this approach with younger dd5 as we step into history next year. I think in the younger years it works very well because history at that age is more of an overview for us. My plan is to stop separating history by 7th grade so that you can go a lot deeper at this point. My only issue with that specific site is that she uses This Country of Ours for her Am. History spine and I personally think that book is too much for a first and second grader. But, that is only my personal and humble opinion and it may work just fine for others. I really like her plan overall though.

HTH:001_smile:

Thanks for all your input!

Any more pros/cons I'm not thinking of....?

I would probably only do the simultaneous thing 1-4th grades, take a year in 5th grade for geography/other interesting culture-social studies related topics, and then in 6th grade begin an in-depth study chronologically.

I would want to fold my younger dc in as they become 1st grade age so all of my 1-4th graders are together in history, and then in 5th grade they will be independant.

I don't know if I will do this. I'm just toying with the idea.:) I could just do SOTW and keep it simple LOL!