Menu

Rant: Pets where they ought not be...

m0mmaBuck

So I bought lunch at a little Thai place (in a strip mall next to a Starbucks) and thought I would sit down at the tables outside to eat. The man to my left decided to make a phone call and loudly air his grievances over his current court case against a former employee loudly for the whole world to hear. Him I could block out with happy thoughts about my delicious lunch and the lovely sunshine.  However, the man to my right plopped his little ankle-biter dog up on the table and let it eat from his plate while he was also enjoying the same lunch...

Really?  Your dog?  On the table? Eating from your plate?

GROSS!

Posted Today, 04:02 PM

Lara in Colo, on 14 Aug 2013 - 3:37 PM, said:snapback.png

I mean really, they lick places I don't want to think about (like under the table, or the cat food bowl) 

You forgot...or maybe you didn't want to go "there".  So, I will...they also lick their own anus.  I am sorry to say I think of that every time I see someone allowing their pet to basically make out with them.  :ack2: 

Oh and I totally :iagree: with this as well, "No really, that is gross and I have no respect for people that treat their dogs like children." 

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Yuck.  we recently pet-sat a dog. Sweet, wonderful doggie, but he sure had the cleanest nethers of any animal ever in the history of animals! If I EVER see anyone kiss that dog on the mouth I will hurl. :svengo:

Wouldn't bother me.  I am assuming the staff cleans the tables and a dishwasher handles the dishes.  I am, however, sorry your meal was ruined.

That might be the funniest thing I've read all day. They might dip a dirty rag in the some dirty water and spread the dog butt germs around a bit but I wouldn't say they "clean".

I read an article a few days ago about the large increase in people buying fake credentials and/or service animal vests so they can bring their pets into stores with them. I think one state passed a law that said only dogs could be used as service animals because people were trying to claim monkeys and other animals were service animals. DH broke the no-pet rule in college with a dwarf hamster. He joked that if he got caught, he would say it was his "depression hamster."

The article went on to quote some actual disabled people that used trained dogs for various tasks. They were extremely irritated that people were increasingly treating them like they were breaking the no non-service animals rules in stores. Store employees have been seeing so many fakers that they are now skeptical of even the people with the real service animals.

At first I thought to myself, "Wow, obnoxious men who self-aggrandize by carrying on loud phone business conversations are one of my pet peeves, worse than a little dog."

THEN I got to the part about the animal being on the table and eating off a person's plate. Utterly inappropriate and repulsive.

I love that some establishments have outdoor dining and welcome well behaved dogs. I detest when people abuse that privilege. Ick.

I read an article a few days ago about the large increase in people buying fake credentials and/or service animal vests so they can bring their pets into stores with them. I think one state passed a law that said only dogs could be used as service animals because people were trying to claim monkeys and other animals were service animals. DH broke the no-pet rule in college with a dwarf hamster. He joked that if he got caught, he would say it was his "depression hamster."

The article went on to quote some actual disabled people that used trained dogs for various tasks. They were extremely irritated that people were increasingly treating them like they were breaking the no non-service animals rules in stores. Store employees have been seeing so many fakers that they are now skeptical of even the people with the real service animals.

Along those lines, the list of services/assistance needs provided by service animals seems to be rapidly expanding. So while there are a lot of fakers (no doubt there!), I think there are simply more service animals in general. However, a true service dog shouldn't ever be found dining off his client's dish.

Dh's cousin has a dog (a dachshund puppy) for anxiety, which I understand. When we had to give them a ride to the hospital to see Dh's uncle (cousin's stepdad) they brought the dog even though we told them not to (dog not allowed in ICU) and for the fact there wasn't really enough room for it in my car. Cousin and his fiancé are by no means small people crammed in the back seat of my Taurus with poor dd in her booster in the middle and their dog in a kennel crammed between dh and I in the front. We told them the next time we take them the dog has to stay home or they don't go. We don't want to be mean but please be considerate of others.

Okay, that's too disgusting to even think about (I will now be forever suspicious that outdoor tables are harboring dog butt germs), so I'm going to go off on a tangent about this instead:

We were in the electronics dept. at the back of a large Walmart, and someone had a service cat riding around in their cart.  I can't fathom how they put the vest on the cat and drove it to Walmart, let alone stuck it in a cart and pushed the cart to the back of the store, all without the cat going bonkers.  It had some credibility due to the sheer amount of labor required to do that.  But I did wonder about other shoppers who might be highly allergic to cats.

Wouldn't bother me. I am assuming the staff cleans the tables and a dishwasher handles the dishes. I am, however, sorry your meal was ruined.

Not for anything, but I'm pretty sure they're not exactly sanitizing those tables when they wipe them off with a grubby rag. :ack2:

I love, love, love dogs, but they don't belong on restaurant tables.

(And just a little PSA: Don't anyone even think of saying that people shouldn't be changing their babies' diapers on those tables either, or this is going to be yet another Very Long Thread. ;))

Okay, that's too disgusting to even think about (I will now be forever suspicious that outdoor tables are harboring dog butt germs), so I'm going to go off on a tangent about this instead:

We were in the electronics dept. at the back of a large Walmart, and someone had a service cat riding around in their cart. I can't fathom how they put the vest on the cat and drove it to Walmart, let alone stuck it in a cart and pushed the cart to the back of the store, all without the cat going bonkers. It had some credibility due to the sheer amount of labor required to do that. But I did wonder about other shoppers who might be highly allergic to cats.

My cat serves no one.

But he has a Service Person. (Yeah, it's me.)

That might be the funniest thing I've read all day. They might dip a dirty rag in the some dirty water and spread the dog butt germs around a bit but I wouldn't say they "clean".

really? that's how they take care of tables there? Where ds works they spray the tables down with a bleach sanitizing solution then wash them off.  If it was a table being cleaned because of something really gross (though no one can have a dog in that place) it gets tossed in the laundry bag and a new one is pulled out.  This is a fast food place not a fancy one but things are properly cleaned.  The manager takes the dirty rags home and washes them in hot soapy water.  That's gross if starbucks doesn't proper sanitize it's services

Not for anything, but I'm pretty sure they're not exactly sanitizing those tables when they wipe them off with a grubby rag. :ack2:

(And just a little PSA: Don't anyone even think of saying that people shouldn't be changing their babies' diapers on those tables either, or this is going to be yet another Very Long Thread. ;))

I was JUST about to post that very thing!  You ruined it.  Hrrrmph.

I take my dog to the local pub quite often.  They love him there.  But they love him outside, on the patio, on the ground.  The rules are they have to be on a leash, and all four paws on the floor. No excessive barking or any bad behavior at all or they have to go.

I do get aggravated when the occasional person complains that they have to eat with dogs in their presence because it's clearly posted that dogs are allowed outside.  If they don't want the dogs near them while they eat, they should pick a table inside.  

I was JUST about to post that very thing! You ruined it. Hrrrmph.

I take my dog to the local pub quite often. They love him there. But they love him outside, on the patio, on the ground. The rules are they have to be on a leash, and all four paws on the floor. No excessive barking or any bad behavior at all or they have to go.

I do get aggravated when the occasional person complains that they have to eat with dogs in their presence because it's clearly posted that dogs are allowed outside. If they don't want the dogs near them while they eat, they should pick a table inside.

LOL!!! I was going to like your post, but apparently I am all out of likes for the day. :glare:

I think it's ridiculous that people will complain about dogs being in a place where dogs are allowed. Suck it up and deal with it, or go eat someplace else.

The funny thing is, those same whiners always seem to be the ones with the most ill-behaved children, and I'm sure that if anyone's meal would be disturbed, it would be the people with the dog.

Dd and I were in Wall Mart (of course it was Wall Mart lol) a few weeks ago. A lady had a monkey in square cage type of thing with wheels and a handle and was pushing it around . On top of the cage thing was a sign saying it was a service animal.

Okey dokey

Actually it seemed like a well behaved monkey- unlike many of the kids (and adults) we often encounter there.

Inquiring minds want to know:   Did he leave his kids in the car?

no. his "child" has four legs and a snout an and he put it on the table.

they don't belong in restaurants at all.  outside and well-behaved (and that includes not using their "woe is me big brown eyes pity routine" to get someone to toss them goodies off their plate.  and especially NOT sniffing other people's plates!)

My cat serves no one.

But he has a Service Person. (Yeah, it's me.)

cats have staff.

I guess it really depends on the establishment.  Still doesn't bother me, though.  There is all kinds of gross stuff floating around that I can't get worked up over dog butts and feet.

No really, that is gross and I have no respect for people that treat their dogs like children.

Thinking about whether this person is treating their dog like a child, didn't we have a discussion once about allowing kids to grab things right off your plate without asking?  Because I now have a mental image of setting a kid on the table (dirty diaper optional) and letting them have at the plate.  

This is sort of becoming a mashup of many memorable discussions here.  Can you tell I'm supposed to be working on our middle school science schedule right now?   :ack2:

A service cat?!?!

That makes absolutely no sense to anyone who knows cats.

Sure, animals can calm and soothe, but a cat might love you one second, and then spend the next two days pissed at you because the grocery stopped carrying the one flavor of Fancy Feast entrees she will eat. they would be highly unreliable for pretty much any task I could envision, because they are very hard (I won't say impossible, there are circus cats) to train. A cat certainly wouldn't be any help at all in Walmart, unless for entertainment purposes.

Neither would a monkey in a cage, but perhaps he gets out and grabs things off shelves?

A service cat. A cat. My mind is blown.

Another rant! Oh goody.

Actually I agree with you, OP.

But what I'd really like to know is... You mentioned a Starbucks in the same plaza... Was there a Fedex too? Was there a snooty looking lady at the Starbucks glaring at said doggie and who probably has the Health Department on speed-dial?

Just want to say I know it is Walmart with one L. My tablet was trying to help me. Lol. I don't know how to edit a post on the tablet.

My iPad does it to me all the time, too, and I'm sure that at least half the time, I don't even notice it and I come across sounding even more clueless than usual!

Another rant! Oh goody.

But what I'd really like to know is... You mentioned a Starbucks in the same plaza... Was there a Fedex too? Was there a snooty looking lady at the Starbucks glaring at said doggie and who probably has the Health Department on speed-dial?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eh, if the dog wasn't on my table, and wasnt eating my food.....I've got bigger things to worry about....and frankly if I'm that worked up over what other people do in public, I just dont go out in public.  Can't control other humans, or their dogs...only myself.   Frankly, I've seen humans do more disgusting vile things in comparision for a human, than a dog could ever do....and then they touched the door handle of the store I was about to walk in...and that was only the things I actually saw them do.

I read an article a few days ago about the large increase in people buying fake credentials and/or service animal vests so they can bring their pets into stores with them.

I hate being cynical, but I am pretty sure that I have been seeing this happening around here. I recognize that there are now dogs which help kids with autism, which would not be obvious. But it's hard to figure out how an adult carrying a little dog under her arm is being served. And even if it truly is a service dog, there is no need for the owner to be handling it and then touching the fresh produce!

Service cats and monkeys?. Seriously we must be living back in the dark ages here in Australia. Where does one even buy a monkey?.. I am pretty sure we aren't allowed to own them here.The only service animals we ever see around here (and very rarely) are guide dogs for the blind. Animals for depression??? Anxiety??? We still take pills for that ;)

A dog eating off a table even if it was a service animal would have the management come running...no customer would have to say thing.

I hate animals on tables but not because of the butts...because of the hairs. I would have had to go inside to stop imagining the dog hairs wafting in the breeze over to my lunch plate. LOL. (Hmm maybe I should get one of those anxiety animals for myself).

en

Wouldn't bother me.  I am assuming the staff cleans the tables and a dishwasher handles the dishes.  I am, however, sorry your meal was ruined.

I doubt they clean the tables very often.  The tables/chairs are those metal mesh type and are shared between Starbucks, the Thai restaurant, and a little burger joint.  I have never seen anyone clean them.  Usually people get up, throw out their garbage, and leave, and then other people sit down at the tables before anyone comes by to clean them.  When I sit there, I spread napkins out like a table cloth before I eat/drink my coffee.

Another rant! Oh goody.

No Fed Ex in the plaza....  but undoubtedly there was some snooty lady in the Starbucks, lol.

A service cat?!?!

Sure, animals can calm and soothe, but a cat might love you one second, and then spend the next two days pissed at you because the grocery stopped carrying the one flavor of Fancy Feast entrees she will eat. they would be highly unreliable for pretty much any task I could envision, because they are very hard (I won't say impossible, there are circus cats) to train. A cat certainly wouldn't be any help at all in Walmart, unless for entertainment purposes.

Neither would a monkey in a cage, but perhaps he gets out and grabs things off shelves?

Dd claimed she had heard that cats were used to help with anxiety.  Perhaps the person had agoraphobia?  The whole thing was surrealistic -- an unusually large cat wearing a service vest, reclined on a special blanket in the shopping cart, looking very alert.  I was glad dd was along to confirm that I didn't dream this up.  

(For the record, the cat's fur looked like it ate a grocery store brand of dry food.  The fact that I'm so cat-centric that I notice things like that probably  shows that I'm likely to hallucinate a Cheshire cat in the middle of Walmart electronics.)

Dd claimed she had heard that cats were used to help with anxiety. Perhaps the person had agoraphobia? The whole thing was surrealistic -- an unusually large cat wearing a service vest, reclined on a special blanket in the shopping cart, looking very alert. I was glad dd was along to confirm that I didn't dream this up.

(For the record, the cat's fur looked like it ate a grocery store brand of dry food. The fact that I'm so cat-centric that I notice things like that probably shows that I'm likely to hallucinate a Cheshire cat in the middle of Walmart electronics.)

Bwahahahaha!!

I am picturing the cat in it's vest. Gosh, I'd pay money to see that.

I just can't picture any cat I've known being remotely helpful for an agoraphobic in Walmart. Particularly when they freak out, tear the vest off, attack a shopper and dismantle the rollbacks on every aisle in the store. Cats are just such unpredictable and inscrutable creatures- how could you not be totally tense wondering what the cat might do? Thinking of taking a cat to Walmart makes me feel anxious, lol.

According to the ADA, animals that help with anxiety etc. are not technically service animals.  They are "comfort animals" and do not come under the disability act.  http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm  But businesses basically have their  hands tied behind their back because they are not allowed to ask for any proof that the animal is a service animal.  

A service cat?!?!

I heard Siamense cats are just like dogs. (Mind you I think I heard that from listening to an audio recording of The Incredible Journey)

Our Siamese cat walked on a leash and loved to play fetch. :)

when they were in college - my bil played tug-of-war with sil's cat.  they also fed it a beef heart (took it awhile to work it's way through.)  one day they saw the cat chasing a pack of dogs down the street.

I take my dog to the local pub quite often.  They love him there.  But they love him outside, on the patio, on the ground.  The rules are they have to be on a leash, and all four paws on the floor. No excessive barking or any bad behavior at all or they have to go.

Our dog comes with us to the pub, but she's allowed inside.  The pub has three areas: the patio, the bar (where you can also eat if you want) and the restaurant.  I haven't seen dogs in the restaurant, but I wouldn't be surprised to.  I also haven't seen rules posted about dogs - we just asked the first time if she could come indoors.  It's a country pub, where hikers and farmers turn up in dirty boots, so a well-behaved dog on the floor fits in swimmingly.

As far as I can tell, it's illegal in Britain to have animals in a food preparation area, but businesses can make their own rules about other areas.

L

I had a Siamese cat, from the pound. It had had it's voice box removed and was totally neurotic and very large. It would not have made a good service cat, but perhaps the voice box removal and subsequent abandonment were the reason.

He did play fetch though, with balled up tinfoil. But many cats do that. Most will lose interest after a while and then drop the ball on your forehead at 3 am. See? Service cat = bad idea. You will end up in service to your cat.

I am so buying my cat a vest.

Particularly when they freak out, tear the vest off, attack a shopper and dismantle the rollbacks on every aisle in the store....Thinking of taking a cat to Walmart makes me feel anxious, lol.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Just thinking of going to Walmart makes me feel anxious. Thank goodness I have a service husband. He goes to Walmart FOR me.

I had a Siamese cat, from the pound. It had had it's voice box removed and was totally neurotic and very large. 

WHAT?! What a horrible thing to do to an animal! What kind of vet would perform that kind of surgery? Please tell me it had had some kind of cancer or growth that necessitated such a cruel procedure?