Menu

? on fitness ball/balance balls for exercise

Ottakee

I got an email last night that they are hopefully starting a free exercise class at church the first week of October on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  A free class.

It is using a balance ball.  I have never used one for exercise and was wondering what size do I buy?  I am 5'5" tall, about a 30 inch inseam and just over 200 pounds.  I know I want a heavy duty one so it doesn't burst during the class :crying:

Are there any good cheap exercise DVDs that might help me get started?  I am in OK shape.  Not great but I ride horses almost daily, do farm chores 2-3 times a day, do the stairmaster almost every day for 10 minutes, etc.  I do have tendonitis in my left achilis tendon so I thought that maybe this class might be a good one for me to work on my core strength.  I also walk several days a week with friends and we do 2-4 miles at a time.

I'm about 5'3, and have no clue about my inseam since I make most of my clothes, but I DO have most of my height in my legs.  I use the 65cm.  It would probably be nice if you could go somewhere, like a gym, and sit on some to see if they're correct.

If you look at youtube for stability ball videos you'll find a boatload.  Other terms to try are "balance ball" and "exercise ball".  You could also throw in the word "beginner". No doubt there are videos that help you select a size, too ... okay, I just tried "select balance ball size" as a search on youtube and found 9 videos on that exact subject, plus several on general exercises (plus one on selecting a bowling ball size :laugh: ).

I prefer not to have to look at a screen (television or computer) while I'm exercising, so I just learn a move, then do it.

The balls are really lots of fun!  Enjoy your class!

AMDG

Ok, I don't really know how to say this with the dignity we both deserve so please bear with me . . . If you'll be doing crunches on the ball (the kind where you sit on the ball, roll forward, lean back kind of crunches) I'd worry more about what kind of undies I'd be wearing than what kind of ball I'd be using.  

If high school bullies knew about these balls, they'd be the wedgie tool of choice.  

It really is hard to maintain a level of dignity after doing those.  

fyi

Ok, I don't really know how to say this with the dignity we both deserve so please bear with me . . . If you'll be doing crunches on the ball (the kind where you sit on the ball, roll forward, lean back kind of crunches) I'd worry more about what kind of undies I'd be wearing than what kind of ball I'd be using.  

If high school bullies knew about these balls, they'd be the wedgie tool of choice.  

It really is hard to maintain a level of dignity after doing those.  

fyi

So..............is it better if I just skip the undies all together :lol:

Ditto all of the above...I have this video, and I like it. It doesn't require tremendous rhythm or coordination, and the instructor cares more about health than fitness (though she is clearly in great shape). She also gives you options for more or less intense versions of many of the exercises so that you can challenge yourself or go easy until you are okay with it. I need to get it out again and get back into some kind of routine. http://www.amazon.com/FitBALL-Round-Workout-Lisa-Westlake/dp/097459363X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1376532691&sr=8-6&keywords=lisa+Westlake

I'm a bit over 5' 3". I bought one ball and returned it because the smell was so toxic. I love this ball. Everyone likes just sitting on it too, and I stretch my back on it daily. Let me go get link. I'll also share DVD I just got -- haven't used it yet. LOL

This was the smelly ball

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6NXQ4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the non-smelly one

http://www.amazon.com/EcoWise-Fitness-Ball-55cm-Honeydew/dp/B002K8FQ4K

If you read reviews, you'll see someone else found a better non-smelly one.

Here is the DVD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YV1L76/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmmm, I've never had an problem with my undies. Now I'm wondering if that means I'm doing it wrong or doing it right....

AMDG

I just dont know that I ever did get it right but imagine this: sit on the ball. Your bottom is at 12 o'clock. Walk your feet forward and let the ball roll a bit. Stop when bum is at about 10 10.30.

I got the goldgym one at walmart came with a pump.  I'm 5'3" and got the smaller one.   I've been doing ball exercise for a couple of years.  The ball when inflated should come to your knees so when you sit your lap is level.  This is why the suggested size for the petite size ball.

The ball was not expensive and my 6'2" 200 + pound son sits and pounces on it for fun and its never busted.  Just letting you know you don't have to fancy or expensive unless you just want too

I hope you enjoy the class.  I love working out at home.  I'm in to group fitness because I'm to much of an introvert and get way to much people time at work.

Oh thought I would add -  I  do weight workout dvd where we use the ball as a bench and also some ball stretch dvd.  The ball seems to grab your clothes  if your in shorts it pulls them on up - i'm always having to pull them down and out KWIM LOL   I would suggest for a group class you may want to go with the workout capri or some type of bicycle short under some regular workout shorts.  I guess just depends on your level modesty.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my balance ball online through beachbody- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/balance_ball.do .  I am 5’2†and I use the medium size ball.  The Large ball is for people over 5’4†so I would go with the large if I were you.  I found a total body workout on youtube that I have been using.  They have plenty other ones on youtube that you can use as well.